what's with all the digging on 11th Street?

  • Edward Johns
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005

      Hi.  Does anyone know why work crews have been digging up the sidewalks in front of almost every house on 11th Street, NW between Columbia Road and Monroe Street the last several weeks?

      Ed Johns

    • Marcus Popetz
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
        At 02:21 PM 8/4/2005, Edward Johns wrote:
        >Hi. Does anyone know why work crews have been digging up the sidewalks in
        >front of almost every house on 11th Street, NW between Columbia Road and
        >Monroe Street the last several weeks?

        Lead water service line replacement....

        -mp
      • Marcus Popetz
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
          At 03:23 PM 8/4/2005, Mike wrote:
          >More importantly, does anyone know if our sidewalks are going to be put
          >back together the
          >way they were or is this patching-the-holes-up-with-tar thing a permanent
          >solution? It's
          >pretty ugly.

          You forgot to reply to the list. :)

          At the ANC1b meeting last time they had an engineer from DC WASA there.

          Here are the minutes:
          http://anc1b.org/jul05.html

          But the important part:

          "There is a fourteen-day period to restore the streets and yards once the
          work has been completed."

          I do know that the West Minister Neighborhood Association down in the
          Vermont + 10th area hounded the gov any time they tore up the sidewalks and
          eventually things got replaced....never within 14 days though.

          -mp
        • megan
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
            >lead water service line replacement

            Does anyone know if there are plans to do this on 13th Street, as well?
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
              The sidewalks are being repaired quickly, at least on the 3200 block of 11th -- came
              home yesterday to see a "Sidewalk Closed" sign and fresh concrete where they had been
              dug up. It was a pleasant and much welcome surprise.

              Kudos to WASA for putting us back together again.