be careful who you hire to haul away trash/illegal dumping

  • Tammy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      Illegal dumping is a recurring problem in the Heights, and some of us may be inadvertantly contributing to the problem by hiring unscrupulous trash haulers. A month or so ago, police arrested a man named Marvin for illegal dumping. Marvin is well known to some people in the neighborhood as a chronic dumper. He promises to haul away old mattresses and other trash, then he takes them a block or so away and "distributes" the same items behind other people's homes. My neighbors on Kenyon and Lamont have been the lucky recipient of mattresses, tires, old furniture, and even an old rider mower.

      It's hard to catch an illegal dumper in the act. In Marvin's case, he was only caught because he threatened a person who tried to talk with him about what he was doing, and the person called the police.

      I have posted Marvin's picture on the group website.

      Tammy

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • megan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        I had very good experiences with U Call I Haul last year: 202-396-0105.
      • Elaine Fitch