More Parking Problem Relief

  • GrahamWOne@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2000
      Dear Friends:

      As you know, since taking office, I have been doing all I can to relieve
      parking and congestion problems in our neighborhoods. Shortly after taking
      office, I established a parking and transportation task force, which worked
      for nearly a year on these issues. (Copies of that report can be obtained by
      calling my office at 724-8181 or by emailing me your address.)

      Various positive accomplishments have occurred as a result of that effort.
      Today I report on still more progress.

      Last winter, I introduced amendments to a bill in order to give individual
      blocks the ability to extend the hours of residential parking, thus better
      controlling parking spaces for those who live in the neighborhood.

      The legislation has now taken effect (L13-097).

      As a result, in addition to being able to petition for residential parking on
      your street, blocks may now petition to change the hours of residential
      restrictions on parking. For example, the standard time for residential
      parking is 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. If you lived in an area with a lot of evening
      visitors (such as U Street and Adams Morgan) you could petition, block by
      block, to extend the hours, for example, to 10:00 p.m.

      It is important to emphasize that this is done not by area of neighborhood,
      but block by block.

      Please keep in mind the Georgetown experience, where hours were extended to
      10:00 p.m. and residents found that their visitors were getting tickets or
      they needed to get visitors permits for dinner guests. As a result some
      blocks pulled back the restriction to 9:30 p.m., thus enabling visitors to
      arrive just after 7:30 p.m. and avoid the threat of ticket (since the 2 hour
      period extended beyond the limit.)

      The process is the same for the petition for residential parking in the first
      instance. The petition must be signed by "at least one adult resident of a
      majority of the households in that block."

      Of course this new flexibility will depend on voluntary compliance supported
      by parking enforcement. A lot of people will read the signs and park
      elsewhere. For those who ignore the signs, effective work by parking control
      aides and police will make the difference.

      There is a second amendment which does affects some of you. If you live on a
      street which is not eligible for residential parking due to restrictions
      (e.g. designated as commercial or has no parking anytime) and is surrounded
      by streets which have been designated as residential, you can now apply for a
      residential parking permit. 18 DCMR 2413.4(a)

      Finally, my legislation permitting zoned parking for residents on private
      streets (e.g., Beekman Place) is pending before the Council. A hearing has
      been held, and I expect favorable action soon.

      For more information about this extension of residential hours process, you
      may call Parking Services at the
      Department of Public Works at 541-6030.

      Please stay in touch.

      Jim Graham, Ward One Councilmember