Re: [columbia_heights] A Gentle Reminder: Purpose of our list

  • Dave McIntire
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2000
      John,

      I hope this will put the issue to rest. This is from the URL
      http://www.drsolomon.com/vircen/vanalyse/java.cfm#6. It is the Dr.
      Solomon Website which is an anti-virus program.

      "To date, no known Java or ActiveX viruses or Trojan horses exist in
      the wild. Dr. Solomon's is currently working on extending our
      technology to scan Java applets for viruses as the bytecodes are being
      downloaded. We are also altering our existing OLE scanning technology
      to recognize ActiveX controls as they are written so that when the
      first Java or ActiveX virus is found, Dr. Solomon's Anti-Virus Toolkit
      will be there to detect it."

      Again, a virus might be spread by an email attachment that you must
      open manually but not by just downloading a text (or html) email from
      the egroup - unless you are the first to get a yet unknown class of
      viruses.

      Dave