Re: [columbia_heights] Re: Safety and crime concerns at Euclid/Sherman

    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 1, 2005

      I can empathize with you.  Most of us no matter our broader labels wants our individuality to shine through.   Nor do we desire to carry the burden of something not fully of our own making, but I just don't see the cards being redealt on their own.  The challenge of Columbia Heights at this point is that it is going to be hard to sit this out safely on the sidelines, not having to make a stand.

      Part of the challenge is that everyone who we assume to be "new" is not "new",  a good number of people influencing the Columbia Heights poltical dynamic are only new to this side of 16th.  Some of the hostility bourn by many "new" persons relate to the hostility surrounding this and other historic DC  borders, real, imagined, social and economic. So, as with any one "new" you may inadvertently choose sides you don't even truely know exist or become lured by the siren's call of quick fix urban disney mythologies and methologies.

      So while you were grieving the tragic loss of a child, others in your name were leveraging the tragedy for poltical/social advantage.  So while some were working with the majority desent families of the building to rid itself of the bad apples, others saw an opportunity to displace everyone.  You must be aware that group punishment is the tactic de joure for solving community problems.   Group punishment generally produces group response and vice versa.  Don't get me wrong understanding group dynamics is important; however the karmic affect applies.  So as a parent while you are concerned about the safety of all children, others were focused on police protection for there own building looking for ways to buffer themeselves from neighborhood children.

      One way to keep focus on solving this tragic murder is to design in frequent press conferences.   That seems to keep the Mayor, Police Chief and District Commander focused.

      William

      chnewbie wrote:
      This posting has actually bothered me for a couple of days so I
      though I would finally respond.

      I am one of the "new" people in Columbia Heights.  I smile at
      everyone I see when I am walking; I say hello to people; I do
      not "hold my purse closer" or think that all African Americans are
      out to rob me.  I do these things that you do, but I have a very
      different reaction.

      Maybe 1/2 of the people I smile at and say hello to respond.  Most of
      those who do not respond either pretend I am not there or actually
      look away.  I have had racial epithets yelled at me from across the
      street.  I have had people respond to my saying hello with requests
      for money - and I am not talking about a request for fifty cents, but
      for amounts like $5 - only to curse me up and down when I say no.

      Do I think that latter response represents the majority of people who
      live in Columbia Heights?  No, of course not.  Do I think that the
      latter response represents the majority of African Americans who live
      in Columbia Heights?  Again, no, of course not.

      So why is it that because some of the "new" neighbors are ignorant
      jerks (and trust me, I know they exist - I have dealt with them and I
      don't want them in my neighborhood either) there is this general
      belief that the majority of us are like that.  This type of
      stereotyping does nothing to help us live and grow as a community -
      recognizing our differences and our similarities and learning to
      treat each other better - and only serves to perpetuate divisiveness.

      By the way.....I know plenty of "new" people who called the hospital
      to check on Donte and his family; who have called and e-mailed
      Graham; and who have continued to contact the police.  I find it
      absolutely appalling that after the press is done with the story, the
      search for the killer does not seem to be as pressing.  I also find
      it amazing that no one seems to know anything about Donte's murder
      and no one is able to give any leads to the police.  As a parent, and
      as I know many of the "new" people who are parents as well, and a
      resident of this community I am incredibly concerned about finding
      Donte's killer.

      --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, Sara Akbar <bai_sasa@y...>
      wrote:

      Barb,

      You wonderful business woman you - Do you think that
      all Black People are out there to rob you?

      Do you label and sterotype all Black People everytime
      you see them?  Do you hold your purse closer when a
      Black man walks by?

      If so that is rude and nasty?

      I am not excusing children throwing eggs and rocks.
      That is bad behavior.  But it comes from somewhere -
      sometimes kid are being mischevious and other times
      they can sense they are being treated like dirt and
      are acting out.

      One man gets hit by a rock (it is wrong and I am not
      saying it is right) and now we want cameras and police
      baby sitters,  but one child take a bullet in the eye
      and can any one remember his name?  Is anyone asking
      for the police to find the real pox on our
      neighborhood who shot rounds in to a group of
      children?

      Barb - how many times did you call Councilmember
      Graham for a one way sign in your alley versus the
      times you called them to find Donte's killer?

      Sara

      --- Barbara Coleman <barb@c...>
      wrote:

      Gosh, yeah!  These "new people" can be soooo rude
      and nasty as they are being pelted with eggs and
      rocks and smashed in the face by their neighbors,
      and watching their bicycles, billfolds, cell phones
      disappear around the corner.  They really need to
      start minding their manners!
      Barb

      From: Richard Layman <rlaymandc@y...>
      To: columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [columbia_heights] Re: Safety and

      crime concerns at

      Euclid/Sherman
      Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:09:14 -0700 (PDT)

      Today's blog entry:

      Tuesday, June 28, 2005Should camera-based alley

      monitoring be considered

      for DC?

      Scenes of illegal dumping in Inkster. The city

      of

      Inkster is one of two

      metro areas, Detroit is the other, that is

      testing

      a high tech camera to

      catch people that illegally dump trash. The

      camera, which has a range of

      100 feet, will be used on a trial basis for 60

      days. Photos taken on

      Wednesday, June 8, 2005. (The Detroit News/John

      T.

      Greilick)

      Alley safety and dumping issues are always of

      concern to urban residents.

      Last week, a dead burning body was discovered

      in

      the alley between H Street

      and Linden Place. Illegal auto repair and

      dumping,

      drug sales, and other

      acts plague the residents that abut the alley.

      ANC6A SMD02 Commissioner

      (and Chair) Joe Fengler have and residents have

      successfully advocated for

      greater DC government involvement and

      coordination

      of activity to address

      these problems. (More more information on the

      District Government's

      MAP--Multi-Agency Plan--for the area bounded by

      12th and 14th Streets, and

      Linden Place and Wylie Place, see this document

      from the ANC6A website.)

      In Columbia Heights, the issue of alley safety

      is

      high on the radar as

      well. From the columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com

      email list is this message:

      I've noticed a spike in alley incidents and

      crime

      located between the 12th

      === message truncated ===

      Yahoo! Groups Links