Trash

  • Michael Leary
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      I am a relatively new transplant to Columbia Heights. I love this
      neighborhood but I am having difficulty getting adjusted to the amount of
      trash that collects on our streets. In an effort to curb this situation in
      my neighborhood (14th & Fairmont), I have taken to picking up garbage myself
      each night in an effort to demonstrate to the renters and passers-by that
      our street is a neighborhood and the folks that live here do care. Much to
      my frustration - the bags of overflow trash I collect seem to pile up.

      Since moving from Logan Circle I have also noticed 2 very disturbing trends
      - 1 is that although we have posted street cleaning on Tuesdays and
      Wednesdays - when I have worked from home on those days I haven't noticed
      the city actually cleaning the streets. The 2nd is that on trash pick-up
      days - the sanitation workers continually remove some garbage but not all
      garbage that is out on the curb for them to take away. The combination of
      the inconsistencies of these 2 city-run services with the overflow of trash
      coming off of the 14th street corridor and rental buildings on the corner of
      14th makes keeping our street garbage-free a daily war - which unfortunately
      I feel like we are losing.

      Please let me know if other neighbors / streets are noticing the same trend
      in city services and what can be done / who can we contact to get these
      rectified. Also - what advise do folks who've lived here longer have for
      fighting the daily trash war in Columbia Heights?

      Say Bye to Slow Internet!
      http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html