Re: SOUP - Hearty 4-Mushroom Chowder @ CH Coffee

  • Putney Swope
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 3, 2005
      You wanna talk about somebody pimping when y'all don't even know what
      this pimping and hoing is all about over at that join't! Admit it,
      y'all ain't never seen no real pimping. And when I say "pimping" I
      mean some REAL pimping!! Not that "on-the-corner" fake shyt all y'all
      haters on this board keep going on and on about. I'm talking about
      the real "PI" pimping, knowhaddimsayin'?

      Just because you see a brother out in the park with his woman, y'all
      have to think somebody's pimping. You see, that's what's wrong with
      "you people" now, and the reason y'all can't get along with nobody.
      Think you know every damn thing!!

      Don't lie. You ain't seen no pimping and you know it.

      --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "tealspider"
      <tealspider@y...> wrote:

      > My contributions to Columbia Heights to make it a better place:
      >
      > 1. I don't do or deal drugs
      > 2. I am not a pimp or a prostitute
      > 3. I don't hang out in front of the laundry 24/7
      > 4. I don't buy Old Reserve at Fairmont & Girard and drink it in the
      > concrete park.
      > 5. I have a job.
      > 6. I don't beg people for money on the streets
      > 7. I don't make racial comments to people I see on the street
      > 8. I go to the neighborhood CVS, even though it is the worst CVS
      I've
      > ever been in.
      > 9. I frequent Golden Empire when I am in the mood for fried food.
      > 10. I don't urinate on the sidwalk.
    • megan
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 3, 2005
        What a way to ring in the New Year--I nominate this for the most
        absurd and inappropriately titled thread ever to appear on this forum
        (and that's saying a lot). I got a hearty 4-mushroom laugh out of it.

        I don't think Marty at the coffeeshop could have ever imagined how
        controversial a wholesome cup of 4-mushroom chowder could be
        (unless...what kind of mushrooms were those again?).
      • Richard Layman
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 4, 2005
          The Bank of America, the nation's largest bank, is particularly good about not advocating for cleaning up the 700 block of H Street NE.  They don't seem to mind that inebriates hang out on their steps, and they don't seem too compelled to call their property manager to ensure that the grounds are kept clean (much different from Riggs Bank, directly across the street).  But it really depends on the manager.  I talked to the branch manager at the location by RI Metro and she said that they call their property manager (Trammell Crow) every day...

          That being said, Starbucks is a well-run company that revitalizers can learn from (I recommend that anyone wanting to open a coffee shop or restaurant read the "autobiography" of Starbucks _Pour Your Heart Out_).

          But generally, the difference between Starbucks and the guy who started the Columbia Heights Coffee Shop on 11th Street is that the latter is willing to be a pioneer and move forward AND INVEST HIS OWN MONEY despite the problems.  The former is unlikely to enter the market until things are pretty much cleaned up--large companies, even those with a community "feel" don't see their role as leading change or revitalization or community building.  (cf. did you see the article in today's Post about how the supermarket chains in Chicago are opening expanded kosher food sections in particular neighborhoods, which will make it more difficult for the independent kosher food stores to continue on--it's business for chains, it's not usually about community building.)
          From observation, I don't even think that the Johnson Development Corp-Starbucks joint venture really pushes the envelope and opens stores in areas needing revitalization support.  They open stores in areas that might be "more minority" and "slightly" less desirable compared to their normal heuristics but the demographics appear to be well on their way towards improvement.

          The point is to have beneficial uses that attract people who feel comfortable on the street.  That will provide support for stronger social norms against negative behavior.  A redesign of the park (cf. materials on the www.pps.org website, the book _City_ by William H. Whyte) could make a huge difference also.

          Hell, organize a concert series there (or play Britney Spears music during the day).  There are lots of things you can do.  But it takes time and the effort of many people.  And yeah, some people feel that they'd rather not spend their time that way, or feel that in the great scheme of things, if people were concerned more about others, they wouldn't have to deal with it...

          Richard Layman

          tealspider <tealspider@...> wrote:

          A local coffee shop will not stop the crime.  Only a big corporate
          world-order coffee shop (Starbucks) will chase the Steel Reserve type
          crowd away.  A close second would be a big franchise tanning salon
          (Hollywood Tans).  We don't have one in the district so 14th & Girard
          would be a good spot.  The idea is you have to put something there
          that  has zero appeal to the current occupants.

          --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Alvarez McMillan"
          <mam189@h...> wrote:
          > Perhaps you should have located the Columbia Heights Coffee Shop
          next to the
          > park at 14th & Girard.  As has been proved by cogent argumentation
          on this
          > listserv, coffeeshops stop crime.
          > Although, the example used on the listserv was a Starbucks and I'm
          unsure if
          > a locally owned coffee shop could kill the culture of a neighborhood as
          > effectively as a Starbucks.
          >
          > >From: "columbia_heights_coffee" <columbia_heights_coffee@y...>
          > >To: columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [columbia_heights] SOUP -  Hearty 4-Mushroom Chowder @ CH
          Coffee
          > >Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 02:32:34 -0000
          > >

          > >Another great opportunity for those SOUP LOVERS in the neighborhood
          > >to come on out to the coffee shop and try a hand crafted artisan
          > >soup.  The soup that we are offering throughout this week is a truly
          > >unique creation:
          > >
          > >Hearty 4-Mushroom Chowder
          > >
          > >If you like/love mushrooms...this is absolutely incredible!!!  White
          > >Mushrooms, Portobellas, Shiitakes, & Straw Mushrooms smothered in a
          > >creamy garlic & onion base, with subtle hints of fresh rosemary and
          > >shreds of carrot and baby corn.
          > >
          > >A classic neighborhood original created right here in Columbia
          > >Heights!!!  How exciting!!!
          > >
          > >small  8oz cup ..... $3.55
          > >large 12oz cup ..... $4.25
          > >
          > >Call in to have a soup & or sandwich made to order and ready for
          > >pickup:  202-986-0079
          > >
          > >3416 11th Street NW (ON 11TH STREET NW BETWEEN PARK AND MONROE)
          > >
          > >Hours:
          > >
          > >M-F 7AM - 3PM
          > >S&S 7AM - 7PM

        • mark mayhew
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 4, 2005
            >Hell, organize a concert series there (or play
            Britney >Spears music during the day).

            If you bring a boombox to the park near me, and play
            Britney Spears, at 14th and Oak, please let me know in
            advance. (I'll get my camera ready, and we can get
            pics of the homies beating you up , and takin' your
            boombox!)

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 4, 2005
              I very much doubt that. Years ago, in the 1980's when things were infinitely
              worse, I would play Dave Van Ronk's "Cocaine Blues" from the open window of
              our house from a loud stereo system to discourage all the addicts and
              dealers hanging out at Park Rd. and Hiatt Place. The house is adjacent to
              the corner.

              I put a big speaker in the window and played it really loud. I played it
              when the spirit moved me, day and night. I was desparate. The only problem I
              had was from the neigbors across the street so I stopped after a time. The
              dealers and addicts never said a thing. In fact a few even told me they
              liked the song.

              I don't know about Brittany Spears though I might complain if I were in the
              park. It's best to show a little class.

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 12, 2005
                Our hand crafted artisan soup of the week:

                Hearty Garden Vegetable Stew

                A heavy assortment of fresh vegetables resting in a hearty tomato
                based vegetable stock (no animal products). Broccoli, cauliflower,
                spinach, corn, carrots, peas, potatoes, fresh tomatoes, garlic
                onions, fresh herbs and spices. Get your antioxidants for the week
                all in one sitting. Goes well with the Veggie Hummus Lover's
                sandwich!!! Come grab a bowl of soup and surf on our free wireless
                network!!!

                small 8oz cup ..... $2.95
                large 12oz cup ..... $3.15