Re: 14th & Girard Concrete Park

  • columbia_heights_native
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
      it's real funny how you people complain, and complain, everyday on
      this listserv.. I mean to tell you the truth thats what you guys are
      really good at. I mean u come to this neighborhood knowing whats
      going on this community, trying to run people out of their own
      neighborhood, and instead of helping with the situation, you guys
      just complain and cry for a starbucks. I guess thats what you guys
      worship the most a nice coffe shop in the community that will solve
      the community problems. Please we don't need more idiots in Columbia
      Heights

      --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "tealspider"
      <tealspider@y...> wrote:

      > I get a kick out of the liberal do-gooders that think everything is
      > peachy dandy, all it will take is a little neighborhly love to just
      > chip in and clean up the park.
      >
      > It's not the park that's the problem, stupid.
      >
      > It's the people. Spaced-out druggies, drunks, crack whores and your
      > run of the mill low lifes. Cleaning up the blunt wrappers and Steel
      > Reserve cans won't solve the problem.
      >
      > Our only hope is that the commercial development will accelerate and
      > price-out and chase-out the leeches. Admit it, a Starbucks at that
      > corner would solve the problem lickety split.
      >

      > --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, mark mayhew
      > <markjmayhew@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- Jay Phillips <jncapheights@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > > I used to live down the street from this park. Most
      > > > of the people
      > > > there are somewhat benign and even friendly, tho' I
      > > > really didn't
      > > > enjoy the constant offer to sell drugs to me or the
      > > > occasional
      > > > admonishment to "go back where I came from." Funny
      > > > that is,
      > > > considering that my great-grandfather's family
      > > > originally owned most
      > > > of CH. If anything, they're the interlopers.
      > > >
      > > > Admittedly, the park is a public space and citizens
      > > > should be able to
      > > > use it regularly - in a legal way. If the city
      > > > could tame the public
      > > > urination and defecation, and the visits from people
      > > > who don't live
      > > > in the neighborhood, the park wouldn't be too bad.
      > > > Dealers from
      > > > outside CH are the ones who create the shady
      > > > atmosphere.
      > > > Unfortunately, the police know who the dealers are
      > > > there, so they'd
      > > > rather keep tabs on the "known" than sweep them out
      > > > for
      > > > the "unknown." Nothing like some good old gunfights
      > > > for prime turf -
      > > > or at least that's how the beat officers once
      > > > explained it to me.
      > > I don't care much if your great-grandfather owned the
      > > Taj Mahal, crack dealers are crack dealers and should
      > > go to jail, the longer the better. Those beat police
      > > that told you that are wrong, they just didn't want to
      > > interupt their donut break to chase some 15 year old
      > > crack dealers around (not that they could catch 'em,
      > > even if they wanted to).
      > > When Steppenwolf did "God damn the pusherman", they
      > > didn't say "Goddamn the out of state pusherman, God
      > > bless the local pusher"
      > >
      > > Happy New Year!
      > >

      > > > Give it a few more years. The situation will
      > > > improve. If you doubt
      > > > that, look to other areas in the District that were
      > > > once blighted.
      > > >
      > > > Jay
      > > >

      > > > --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, mark mayhew

      > > > chess,
      > > > the
      > > > they

    • tealspider
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
        And your solution?

        --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "columbia_heights_native"

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2005

          There is NO so called "solution", at best the concept of a solution is  "CYA" fantasy for politicians and public servants whose careers depend on baby sitting adults for whom selfishness and childish behavior is good citizenship.  Sometimes, I wonder if we are more interested in validation of  our own selfishness and biases than a solution anyway.  There are however a series of solutions, processes and approaches that can be used to address this and other issues if community leadership chooses to step up to the plate.   We don't necessarily need community super heroes; what we need is some adherence to the 80/20 rules.  In this case for about 20% of the adults to spend about 20% of on their community responsibility energies working and communicating with each other for the greater good this community and less time with official a community arbitrators.  Their are no Urban Disney short cuts for the self-righteous, just the work sometimes hard of community leaders willing to operate beyond lazy stereo-type driven ass-umptions and using drive by anal-ysis, at least 20% of the time.

          Step 1: Community leaders are going to have to cut some of the time normally spent talking to their “in groups”, political and public officials and spend more of that time dialoguing across “in groups”.  This community is way too diverse for us to be so civically incestuous. At least a quarterly community wide meeting of leaders, lead by jointly by the chairs of the relevant ANC chairs or something like that is needed.   Basically, this greater community has the energy and talent needed to make a tremendous impact on issues ranging from public safety, to  public spaces, to employment to housing; however, we need to spend less time engaged in civic masturbation and more time engaged in true civic intercourse.

          Step 2:  We must take seriously the community and economic development opportunities that this community has before us.  Somehow, we have been convinced that during an economic boom and growth period, that we should adopt a depression like community and economic development policies.  We must immediately reject these regressive development policies, we are being fed in the name of Gentrification, which is a failing policy for community and economic development.  For the most part we are adding some great people to a current base of great people, our location is the best in the city, their is not excuse for the silly us vs. them(es) approach to things. There is way too much opportunity here to be convinced that we should  fight over crumbs.   Our problem is that no matter what the politicians say, Gentrification is not the optimal community and economic development strategy for this community, at least as it is being currently managed and stewarded.

          In the middle of a housing and construction boom, the unemployment rate in Ward 1 has gone from 6.0% January 2001, to 5.4% January 2002 to today's 7.7% as of October 2004.   Yes as many of our property tax assessments have about doubled since 2001, the number of unemployed has increased from 2,359 to 3,355 persons.  This when just in Columbia Heights NCRC related projects are estimated to produce 2,345 and 1,715 permanent and construction jobs respectively. This does not include parcel 34 or the Lincoln/Bell project.   There is no excuse for the unemployment rate in Ward 1 to be going up.  Why is this employment opportunity being missed, because childish petty and personal politics is dictating it be this way.  I'm not going to start on our half-ass housing strategy. This community should be a model on how to do quality housing the serves all levels of income well in an integrated environment.

          With the amount of publicly owned land in this community there no excuse to have a community and economic development strategy that will leave us with more density and less quality public spaces at the end than when we started.  It is silly for us to be infighting over a few pocket parks when the opportunity to increase the quantity and quality of theses types of space should at least tripled.  Instead of pointing figures at each other we should be demanding the creativity from ourselves and others to at least triple parks and public spaces in this community.  While I'm on public space and parks, we have a Public Realm Plan designed by a partnership between citizens and government for our community designed over 18 months ago.  It is currently unfunded, instead of having to fight for funding for this plan we should be at a point of refining it and expanding it to cover more and more of this greater community.   Finally it is pure folly for a community that is less than a half mile from the city's largest park, Rock Creek, and not have a plan to better access this resource.  We want to spend too much energy calling names. This is intellectually way beneath us. This is especially the case when I know myself of at least 6 planning, transportation and architectural experts who live in this community. Let alone all the talent I know nothing of.

          In conclusion, if we just step outside of our petty and childish political culture just 20% of the time we have more than enough resources and talent to address most issues and opportunities before us.  Hell, even if we get into nasty fights we have professional mediators that live in this community,  that could help us work through most things.  There is no excuse for this community not to be clearly on a path to greatness.  We only need put aside our childish things and attitudes 20% of the time.  There is not one issue of importance that some one or group in this community is not working on.  Some need help, some support, some a light kick in the pants.  We just must find the internal strength  to work beyond our “in groups” 20% of the time. I don't exclude myself from this.

          William

          Rob Williams <rob@r...> wrote:

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • tealspider
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2005
            Nice think-tank rhetoric for the Georgetown coffee houses, but kind of
            fuzzy as it relates to the immediate problem of getting rid of the
            drugging boozing, and harassment of passer-byes in the concrete park area.

            I'll propose a solution - how about we take the lead from NYC and once
            a day round them up in a police van and arrent them for public
            loitering until it stops. Seems to have worked wonders in NYC.

            --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, William Jordan <whj@m...> wrote:

> [...]
            > internal strength to work beyond our "in groups" 20% of the time. I
            > don't exclude myself from this.
            >
            > William

            > tealspider wrote:
            >
            > >And your solution?
            > >

            > >--- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "columbia_heights_native"
            > ><columbia_heights_native@y...> wrote:
            > >

            > >>it's real funny how you people complain, and complain, everyday on
            > >>this listserv.. I mean to tell you the truth thats what you guys are
            > >>really good at. I mean u come to this neighborhood knowing whats
            > >>going on this community, trying to run people out of their own
            > >>neighborhood, and instead of helping with the situation, you guys
            > >>just complain and cry for a starbucks. I guess thats what you guys
            > >>worship the most a nice coffe shop in the community that will solve
            > >>the community problems. Please we don't need more idiots in Columbia

          • Andrew Foster
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005
              Thanks for all the posts about the park. I live right by the park and pass
              it twice a day. As an avid gambler, I was very upset when the casino
              petition didnt pass a few months back, it is great to know I now have a
              public place to play craps. Also, did not realize there was an open air drug
              market going on at all times....to think I've been wasting valuable time
              walking down to Euclid street for over a year. Re: chicken bones.....I don't
              actually enjoy throwing out my finished chicken bones, but in Texas, we just
              waste a bunch of money on campaigns such as the great, "don't mess with
              Texas". Considering everyone on this serv has too much time on their hands,
              maybe we can some up with a snappy slogan about chicken bones. Free five
              piece w/ french fries to the best slogan, in advance please throw your bones
              in the proper trash receptacle. Here's to a new year of great postings!

              its function seems to be mainly as an all-
              day/all-night open-air drinking, gambling, drug market with constant
              yelling at, and intimidation of, passersby. Is it legal to be
              obviously drinking in the open, intoxicated all hours of the day, and
              openly betting money on who know what? Not to mention its status as
              a dining venue where you don't even have to bother with throwing your
              carryout boxes away, hell, just throw them on the ground. Who cares
              if the trash can is merely at the entrance? It is pretty annoying
              trying to make sure your dog doesn't choke on the chicken and pork
              chop bones scattered all over the place.

              >From: columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com
              >To: columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [columbia_heights] Digest Number 1730
              >Date: 31 Dec 2004 18:02:14 -0000
            • caseycallister
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 5, 2005
                Many folks like to post problems, I like to post solutions.

                When good neighbors of 14th and Girard start using the park for what it was meant,  the illegal uses will  fade away.

                I organize community sports leagues in and around Columbia Heights.  Lets put a recreational Basket Ball League at 14th and Girard in the Spring. Lets meet our neighbors through sports and clean up the park by using it properly.

                If anyone is interested in helping me set-up a Basket Ball league for the Spring at the Park respond back directly.

                I will sponsor court clean up, new basket ball nets, and take care of the league overhead responsibilities such as player insurance and player registrations. I just need a league coordinator !

                Thanks,

                 - Casey