Anne Theisen, Candidate for ANC 1A05

  • Anne Theisen
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
      After many years of dedicated service to Single Member District 1A05,
      Elizabeth McIntire has decided to retire from her work with the Advisory
      Neighborhood Commission and continue on with the many other commitments she
      has made to our community. Though hers are large shoes to fill, I would
      like to step in and assume the work and responsibilities of Commissioner
      our ANC.

      My name is Anne Theisen, and I am a ten year resident of Columbia Heights.
      I am a parent and an active and involved community member. My candidacy
      has been endorsed by Elizabeth McIntire, William Jordan (President of the
      Columbia Heights Development Task Force) and Councilmember, Jim Graham.

      If you would like to know more about the issues that are of concern to me,
      please read on.

      Proper trash and recycling collection and rat abatement affect the daily
      lives of the residents here, and I will work hard to ensure that these and
      other city services are delivered as promised.

      But there are other, larger, quality of life issues, which also need to be
      addressed. When our neighbors are no longer able afford to stay in their
      homes we are all affected. When small businesses are not getting the help
      they need to be able to compete with coming development with national
      retailers, we are all affected. When every bit of open space is developed
      for residence, retail, and business, and little to no public space is left,
      we are all affected. When there are not enough programs for the young
      people of our community, we are all affected.

      Crime is another important issue for our community, and I will work with
      the Metropolitan Police Department and hold it accountable for keeping our
      streets safe and community - police relations positive. But I also promise
      that for every hour I spend on police services, I will spend an hour
      working with City Council, community organizations, and city services on
      the larger issues of why our community is plagued with crime and what
      programs, enacted now, could prevent crime in the future.

      I look forward to meeting you in the coming months and years as we work
      together on these issues and more. I promise to make regular walks through
      our community, to meet folks on the street and get your ideas and feedback.
      I will work hard to get out the word for coming ANC meetings and events.

      I look forward to working with all of you to make this Single Member
      District, Columbia Heights, and DC a better place to live.
    • Sueiro, Jose (EOM)
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
        Ms. McIntyre is a tireless advocate for her community. She is among the most
        knowledgeable and committed ANC members in the entire city. She is a
        wonderful resource for learning about our history and who we are.

        We've sent many people to her when they inquire about the state of the
        community or want to establish a program, activity or new development. She
        is indispensable when anyone needs a sense of the Columbia Heights community
        and what we need. She has great integrity, honesty and compassion. She has
        been an advocate for change, a supporter of community policing, a friend to
        the downtrodden and a wonderful partner whenever improvements are called
        for.

        Even though lately we did not cross paths that often, I'll miss Elizabeth
        McIntyre very much and would like to be part of any activity that expresses
        appreciation for what she has done. God bless you Ms. McIntyre and may you
        continue to work with our community for a long time!

        Jose Sueiro
        Neighborhood Services
        Ward 1

        DISCUSSION; COLUMBIA HEIGHTS DEVELOPMENT TASK FORCE
        Subject: [columbia_heights] Anne Theisen, Candidate for ANC 1A05

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Anne Theisen
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
          I want to thank everyone in Single Member District 1A05 who voted for me
          this past Tuesday. I look forward to working with you and the other ANC
          Commissioners in the coming year (and beyond) on the issues of importance
          to Columbia Heights and the District.

          Thanks, as well, to Elizabeth McIntire for all her tireless years of work
          on the Commission up to now.

          Anne Theisen, Commissioner Elect, 1A05