Re: Excessive noise from Salvation Army facility on Harvard St. NW

  • kmannotes
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2004
      Dave,
      Wow. Did I read that correctly. Let me see if I can follow your
      logic for a moment.

      Crackheads = abusers of illegal drugs = individuals seeking winning
      strategies

      Unbelievable. This is good. You see, I consider myself someone who
      seeks winning stratagies. Now I know what I have been doing wrong
      all these years.

      I also live on the 1400 block of Oak, and yes the crackheads are
      extremely loud. To tell the truth I rarely ever see my hardworking,
      leaving thier homes early, coming home late, do-good neighbors. Ya
      know why,.... because they are individuals seeking winning
      strategies. On the other hand the crackheads (and crackhoes, lets
      not leave the ladies out this discussion) are always yelling and
      pacing up and down the street. Morning, noon, night. My personal
      favorite was the ho who gave the street a seranade on how her p---y
      smelled like a rose.(I use the term seranade loosely.. no pun
      intended, 2)the unwritten word is not puppy)
      If fact it seems the drug dealers don't seem to worry about attention
      at all. Believe me, they get attention too. They have all sorts of
      fellas just hanging out keeping 'em company, scouts riding bikes up
      and down looking for cops and customers, da fellas drinking beers out
      of paper bags, hangers on washing down the shiny cars and thier temp
      tags, the ragged women cat fighting each other. Can I trade my
      obnoxious street urgents with your polite, dignified, and low profile
      crackheads. It will be sort of like a crackhead exchange program.
      Your crackheads just don't know all the fun thier missing.

      ken

      --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "David McIntire"
      <dmcintir@m...> wrote:
      > You have some strange crackheads at 14th and Oak.
      >
      > Here at 14th and Hiatt there is too much streetnoise but the
      sellers and
      > buyers of crack (and other drugs) try to be circumspect and quiet
      as far as
      > I can see except for the ocassional dispute.
      >
      > Why would people engaging in illegal activities want to bring
      attention
      > toward what they are doing? That's not a winning strategy.
      >
      > People out just to see the fun are different. They can be noisy. I
      just
      > close the windows, turn on the airconditioner, and go to sleep. I
      figure
      > things now won't be nearly as noisy as traffic and crowds going to
      and from
      > a 160,000 sq.ft. Target open to at least 11:00 at night.
      >
      > Dave McIntire

      Army

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 1, 2004
        Ken,

        Try thinking for a bit rather than jumping on a soapbox.

        What is the crack sellers and buyers strategies? A buyer wants to get crack
        and a seller wants to sell it, of course. It is an illegal transaction but a
        business deal nevertherless. NEITHER wants to end up in jail or dead if
        rivals are involved.

        Being blatant about their activities only increases that risk. Being
        surreptitious is in their best interests. A noisy transaction is a deal gone
        bad.

        You either have the stupidest dealers and buyers in the world or you are
        blowing macho smoke. I vote for the latter.

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 1, 2004
          Wow - the drug dealers on your block must be getting sound business
          advice to make sure their illegal transactions are conducted
          surreptitiously - never knew addicts were so logical. I must be
          blowing macho smoke or standing on the same soap box as Ken because
          the dealers, prostitutes, addicts and other assorted company that
          conducts "business deals" on my block sure aren't discrete. They
          scream at each other from accross the street, openly do drugs, throw
          bottles and strut their stuff during all hours of the day or night.
          By David's reasoning they must want to go to jail. On the other
          hand, perhaps they don't have to worry too much because the police
          don't do anything resembling a patrol (other than 172 hours) and
          because residents decide that the best policy is to close their
          windows, turn on their air conditioner and ignore the problem, all
          the while preaching from their own soapboxes and insulting people who
          point out some realities of Columbia Heights as suburban wimps - talk
          about macho smoke. Electric bills must be running high in this area -
          bet Pepco loves it. Meanwhile, some sit behind closed windows
          creating noise to cover up the realities of what's happening in their
          neighborhoods or slowly start migrating to the backs of their houses,
          and the dealers become more emboldened and dangerous. Where I live
          police officers tried to break up one of these "business deals" and
          the dealers started shooting - you're right, they sure don't want to
          go to jail. Wake up, this is not part of urban living that
          suburbanite or newcomers need to toughen up to and learn to live
          with - the transactions are illegal and dangerous, not a quaint part
          of city living.
          Kate

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 1, 2004
            You can thump, strut and exaggerate all you like but I have successfully
            lived for over thirty years in this community on one of the hottest drug
            corners in Columbia Heights. I have also known many drug dealers and users -
            of the inner city type. Most are not monsters and not stupid, lost though
            they may be. I feel confident in what I say. Life is not a B grade movie to
            thrill those with suburbanite sensibilities.

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 1, 2004
              I've been itching to reply to this post, but I have stayed away because
              as someone who has been living in Columbia heights for just a little
              over 2 and a half years, I feel like I am supposed to sit on the
              sidelines for another 10 years or so until I have earned my stripes.
              If you get a chance this weekend, come on down to the basketball court
              at 14th and Girard around 11 or 12 pm and then come back to this list
              serve talking about how quiet crackheads, whino's, etc.etc. are.
              I agree that the drug dealers tend to probably stay pretty low-key...but
              that's about it...
              This list-serve is great! It keeps me up to date on what is going on in
              the community and DC, and is a great forum for people to voice their
              opinions...on top of that, it provides endless amusement!!!! Thanks to
              the people who spend more than a few minutes every day responding and
              keeping everyone updated. Dave, Elizabeth, Sara, and William - thanks a
              bunch.

              Rick

              <dmcintir@m...> wrote:
              > Ken,
              >
              > Try thinking for a bit rather than jumping on a soapbox.
              >
              > What is the crack sellers and buyers strategies? A buyer wants to
              get crack
              > and a seller wants to sell it, of course. It is an illegal
              transaction but a
              > business deal nevertherless. NEITHER wants to end up in jail or
              dead if
              > rivals are involved.
              >
              > Being blatant about their activities only increases that risk.
              Being
              > surreptitious is in their best interests. A noisy transaction is a
              deal gone
              > bad.
              >
              > You either have the stupidest dealers and buyers in the world or
              you are
              > blowing macho smoke. I vote for the latter.
              >
              > Dave McIntire

              URL to this page on the web:

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • ktempestdc
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 1, 2004
                I don't understand the need to advocate for the drug dealers. You
                hurl insults but still miss the point. I am glad to see from your
                however, where I am, condos are not selling for $500k and criminal
                activity - of the very blatant type - exists 24/7. I'm sure the
                residents of our little slice of CH would be delighted to hear that
                we are strutting and exaggerating when we speak out about this. Many
                have been here for 40-50 years and still have the same complaints and
                don't agree that these are problems of the past - presumably they
                pass your acid test for living here long enough to be allowed to have
                a thought. I do work closely with the people in my neighborhood -
                where we don't exclude based on age or longevity of residence - as
                well as with our local community leaders and police. Like it or not,
                new or old, everyone lives here and despite your rantings have the
                right to an opinion and safe and drug free streets.

                I'm sure the people who have been mugged, attacked or had their
                houses burned down by people smoking drugs, such as our ANC
                commisioner, would be delighted in your reassurance that the dealers,
                addicts and prostitutes are not monsters but quiet business men and
                women and that victims and people living with these problems are all
                simple minded suburbanites who don't have the right to live here - or
                presumably anywhere else. I'm glad that closing your window and
                turning up the AC or music works for you - for the rest of us, we
                would like not to live with the drug activity. Where we are, parking
                or noise from a new Target is less of an issue than closing down the
                crack houses and brothels.

                Your assumption that when people speak about escalating drug problems
                in their neighborhoods implies that it is happening all over CH is as
                absurd as your assumption that if it's gotten better on your street
                it's better everywhere else. Apparently, if it's not an issue for
                you it shouldn't be an issue for anyone else.

                Here's a section of an e-mail sent to me from a 40+ year resident of
                my neighborhood..

                "On a personal note while some residents & (non former residents) in
                our neighborhood think that it is perfectly (normal) alright for
                individuals to sit out & hang out on our streets all day & night to
                conduct drug activity. Almost all the other crime in our neighborhood
                is a result of the drug activity.This includes robbery,
                prostitution,theft from auto to the gunshoots with police the other
                night. I myself have witnessed & reported in the past years to police
                this activity. Persons that live in our blocks or have lived in the
                past dealing in the drug trade with others that commit the criminal
                activity on our blocks. They also bring in other outsiders that have
                not or ever lived here to deal in the drug trade. The
                mothers,grandmothers & other relations to the people have distorted
                minds when it comes to this activity."

                Another exaggerator and struter. Here are some recent clips from the
                crime reports we get. Life is not rosy and you have no right to
                judge or insult others until you know what you're talking about and
                can make more reasonable arguments than the defense of drug dealers.
                Living here for 30 years makes you older than me - it does not
                preclude me or anyone else having an opinion, or voicing it. Believe
                me, I don't think this is a B grade movie - wish it were so I would
                be able to turn it off -

                PSA 404
                DATE 9/6/2004
                TIME 3:00PM
                Assault Deadly Weapon - Other
                14TH ST & SPRING ROAD NW.
                CCN# 09124000
                Complaintant reports on the listed date, time & location that she had
                a verbal altercation with suspect. During which time the suspect
                struck the complaintant in the head with a bottle. The suspect was
                then placed under arrest & transported to the Third District for
                processing.

                PSA 301
                DATE 9/7/2004
                TIME 1:00AM
                Robbery - Gun
                3600 Block 16TH ST NW.
                CCN # 04124188
                Complaintant reports that 2 suspects approached vehicle suspect
                number 2 ran to passenger side door while suspect 1 ran to driver
                side door. Suspect 1 placed a gun to complaintants chest & took
                various property.

                PSA 301
                DATE 9/3/2004
                TIME 3:00PM
                BURGULARY - 2
                3600 Block 16TH ST NW.
                CCN # 04123316
                Complaintant reports that person(s) unknown entered location & stole
                various property.

                PSA 302
                DATE 8/30/2004
                TIME 8:00AM
                Stolen - Auto
                3500 Block 14TH ST NW.
                CCN# 04124137
                Complaintant reports unknown suspect stole vehicle from listed
                location key in owners possession, registration in vehicle.

                PSA 302
                9/22/2004
                TIME 1:00PM
                Assault With Deadly Weapon -Other
                3600 Block 14TH ST
                CCN# 04131816
                Complaintant reports on listed date & time suspect 1 wanted to visit
                a coworker.
                The complaintant told the suspect he did not want the suspect on the
                property the suspect swung at the complaintant with an unknown object
                hitting complaintant in the right arm suspect 1 the fled the
                location.

                PSA 301
                9/21/2004
                TIME 7:00PM
                BURGULARY-1 Armed
                3600 Block 16TH ST
                CCN# 04131527
                Complaintant reports while attempting to open the door of her
                apartment
                She was grabbed from behind by suspect 1.
                Suspect 1 pushed the complaintantinside her apartment displayed a
                knife telling the complaintant don't make any noise don't scream I
                wan't all your money. The complaintant complied.

                FROM 3D SUBSTATION
                A few nights ago MPD officers COPE & RODGERS were on routine patrol
                in the alleys of the 3600 Block of 14TH ST NW.
                They encounterd 2 subjects in a huddle when the officers got out of
                the patrol car one male subject fled & the other turned & open fire
                on the officers with a gun. The officers returned gunfire but did not
                strike the suspect the suspect then fled & made good on his escape.
                The 2 officers were not injured some residents have reported hearing
                the gunshots in the area. Others have told me they heard the police
                helicopter flying over with search lights.

                PSA 302
                DATE 9/27/2004
                TIME 2:00AM
                ROBBERY- FORCE & VIOLENCE
                1500 BLOCK OGDEN ST NW
                CCN# 04133956
                Complaintant reports that suspects 1& 2 approached him then displayed
                an unknown cutting instrument. The suspects then demanded property
                the complaintant complied & suspects 1 & 2 fled the scene.

                PSA 302
                9/28/2004
                TIME 6:00 PM
                1400 BLOCK SPRING ROAD NW.
                Assualt With A Deadly Weapon-Other
                CCN# 04134264
                Complaintant reports that after a verbal altercation with suspect 1
                suspect 1 produced a pair of scissors & assaulted the complaintant
                with them.
                (CASE CLOSED WITH ARREST OF JUVENILE)

                PSA 302
                9/28/2004
                TIME 8:00 PM
                ROBBERY-ATTEMPT
                OGDEN ST NW. & CENTER ST NW. INTERSECTION
                CCN# 04134785
                Complaintant reports that while in the intersection of the listed
                location.
                Suspect 1 approached & displayed a dark colored Semi-Automatic Weapon
                & stated "GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY" complaintant stated he had no money
                & showed suspect 1 an empty wallet suspect 1 then fled the scene.

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 1, 2004
                  You completely mischaracterize what I have said. You are grandstanding. I
                  did not advocate for drug dealers or dealing. I did not hurl insults.

                  Everyone has the right and perhaps even the duty to express his or her
                  opinion and participate fully in community affairs whether they have lived
                  here 90 years or 90 minutes - that is why this forum is uncensored . Where
                  did I say otherwise?

                  However, that doesn't mean I have to agree.

                  Certainly there is crime in Columbia Heights. There is crime in Kansas and
                  everywhere else. I just disagree with how it is being characterized by some.
                  Once again, if it were so dangerous and crime was out of hand residents
                  would be moving out, not in, and real estate prices would not be going
                  through the roof. And a whole lot more people would be attending PSA
                  meetings - turnout is pitiful.

                  I don't know who you are or where you live so what more can I say?

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 2, 2004
                    I really wish I could figure out how we loose focus so easily and end up
                    in such silly exchanges. The number of people who in Columbia Heights
                    who believe drug selling, robbery and being a nuisance to your neighbors
                    is OK and a good thing is so small that it is not even worthy of
                    discussion. In fact many who engage in the behavior don't support it.
                    The challenge is how best as a community do we respond to the ranges of
                    behaviors we encounter. There are times on my block where one end is
                    peaceful, children playing, neighbors talking and enjoying a summer
                    evening, while at the other end hell is breaking loose. So, I can
                    easily see how everyone's observations ring true. So what do we do
                    about it.

                    1. Push public safety out of the realm of patronage politics. Adopt a
                    general attitude that if one part of Columbia Heights is not safe, then
                    the entire community is unsafe.

                    2. Don't be trapped by the bruhaha of the numbers game. The politics of
                    public safety will trick you into using numeric measures as an ends vs.
                    a means only to measure progress.

                    3. Call a truce on the use of the public safety issue in the Culture
                    Wars. The mixing of Culture Wars and public safety puts us all in danger.

                    4. Do not buy into the public agency bait and switch. While public
                    safety is related to the effectiveness of public works and social
                    services they are not the same, as being pushed by those who missuse the
                    broken glass theory. It is the inappropriate bluring of these lines,
                    that lead to public safety being used as a tool in the Culture Wars.
                    Just makes us all unsafe.

                    William