Re: [columbia_heights] RE: [SPAM] [MonroeStreetAssoc] A sad day on Monroe Street

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2004
      Walnut trees have the disadvantage that nothing, except grass, will grow under them - flowers etc. They poison the soil somehow. Not good for someone who wants to garden under them. They are not good City trees. I imagine that is why they were cut.

      Buy I'm with you. Walnuts are a favorite tree of mine, they are slow growing, and if there are tree rules they should apply to private property.

      Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 9:01 AM
      Subject: RE: [columbia_heights] RE: [SPAM] [MonroeStreetAssoc] A sad day on Monroe Street

      As I found out several weeks ago, the tree regulations are waiting approval
      by Corporation Counsel.  If the past is prologue to the future, we can
      expect these regulations sometime in 2020 or therebouts.  My neighbor
      recently cut down 5 legacy black walnut trees, each more than 24 inches in
      diameter.  These trees were probably 125 to 150 years old.  Black walnuts
      are very slow growing.  Over the course of several days, the trees
      disappeared one by one.

      Comments I had from Jim Graham's office were that even if the regulations
      would have been written, it did not appear that they applied to private
      property anyway.  My question is if they don't apply to private property,
      why bother?  It's already against the law to cut down trees on public
      property, if for no other reason than that the cutter would be trespassing.

      The City serves it's own interests very well indeed, as exemplified by the
      3% tax on property transactions.  But when it comes to the people who pay
      the taxes, we're just a cash cow.

      Stephen Kline

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2004
        1300 block of Newton street needs trees. Who should I contact to have
        trees planted in this block? Any helpwill be apreciated.

        Thank you,

        Henock

      • Brain McLaughlin
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
          I do not believe the city should be regulating what someone does on their property regarding a tree.  This will only lead to further regulation upon what people can do with their homes, if first trees what next, is the city going to tell me what color I can paint my house?.  A wall can be rebuilt and a tree can be replanted.  However, if a tree is breaching someone's home then it is their right and responsibility to ensure their own safety.  To make a blanket statement about a wall gives no consideration to the cost of rebuilding or the additional damage to property you cannot see.

          Columbia Heights and the District have needs that must be addressed.  Security and water quality in particular.  In my opinion for all the lip service these issues get there have not been improvements to match.  I don't think its too bad that tree regulations are set aside, while our officials SOLVE security and water quailty problems we face.  If they cannot solve these problems, it is the citizens duty to respond accordingly.  We should not accept press releases as adequate action.   We need results!

          I am in now way an opponent of clean air or health.  Instead of regulating trees on residents private property, the city should require Tivoli, Target and other development projects to use more environmentally friendly energy (solar, etc).  Require housing developments who reap huge tax windfalls to plant a tree for every 100 square feet of development, for example.  These efforts will do much more to protect the beauty of our city and neighborhood.

          Have a great day.

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • lwannemach@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
            Thank you, Jim.  I would think that having your name on a District-wide initiative of this sort would be wonderful!  And/or for Columbia Heights to set a fantastic example that would attract many to the CH neighborhood.  larry