Resources for hurt animals

  • t. appel
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
      William,

      You did not leave a phone number, and I only subscribe to the daily digest
      because I don't want to weed through every email from the CH group. Here are
      some local resources and suggestions that we direct low-income people
      towards when this situation arises. Time is of the essence and many of the
      charitable animal rescue groups and charities that can provide help may not
      be able to do so on a quick turnaround time. Most of the animal rescue
      groups are self funded and survive from volunteer and gifts. Good Luck.

      1) Washington Animal Rescue League, http://www.warl.org, has state of the
      art clinic for low income pet owners.

      2) Where is the animal being treated? Many vets offer an in-house payment
      plan and will work with people that make an earnest effort to work with
      them.

      3) Has the doctor suggested that the client apply for Care Credit? A line of
      credit through a financing company that can be used only for animal medical
      emergencies? Most vet's offices have applications.

      4) Has the client used their own personal charge cards to try to work
      something out?

      5) In Memory of Magic. A Maryland based charity has need based grants
      available. Their website is: http://www.imom.org, their application process
      looks like it might not be immediate and could take several days to process.

      6) Friends of Homeless Animals. A northern Virginia based charity that tries
      to help animal medical situations in need. Their website is:
      http://www.foha.org

      7) Where is the dog being treated at? Many local animal practices have
      emergency money and funds set aside for hard luck cases usually in the form
      of memorial funds dedicated to a patient that came through their practice
      and touched them in some way. Have your friend inquire about that.

      8) I have seen people pay vet bills ten times the amount in question because
      putting an animal down is not out of the question when the animal will make
      a full recovery with the treatment and live for ten or more years.

      I apologize in advance if I offend you, but if the neighbor is having
      problems meeting his financial responsibilities can you help? You obviously
      care enough to want to help so far by making inquiries for the neighbor. Are
      the children's happiness for the natural life of the dog worth the $700 or
      so dollars spread out over the course of a year or so?

      Can the neighbors who like the dog so much take up a collection to help from
      family and friends? Is the driver who hit the dog accepting any
      responsibility or offered any assistance?

      9) When all else fails call the vet's office, ask to speak to the Office
      Manager and beg for the animal's life. Sometimes it works. Yes, the practice
      has to make money and function as a business, but the practice also has made
      some sort of commitment to saving animal's lives otherwise the vet would not
      be there in the first place. The practice may be able to write off the
      animal's care related costs at tax time.

      Good Luck, Tedd

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:01:25 -0400
      From: William Jordan <whj@...>
      Subject: HELP: Resources for Hurt Animals

      All,

      A neighbor, whose children are playmates of my youngest, dog was
      recently hit by a car. The dog is in need of surgery to prevent having
      to "put it to sleep". The family cannot afford the $700 to $1200 the
      surgery(s) may cost, a tleast in the short term. Does anyone know of
      any organizations that provide grants or loans that may be used to cover
      the cost of surgery. The father just told be he has until tommorrow to
      work something out. He is really trying to avoid disappointing the
      children. Please forward any leads to me.

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2003
        All,

        Just wanted to provide an update - And to thank you all for your
        support and resources.

        My neighbor was able to scrape together the need money and the surgery
        was successful. The dog is now at home with her family. They hope to
        tap some of the resources provided for followup care.

        Thanks again

        William