Beating of elderly man

  • Dominic Sale
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2003
      Does anyone have any further information on the status of this case?
      I realize that a lot of resources may have been diverted to deal with
      the rising gang violence, but this cruel beating and subsequent
      mishandling is an issue that we should definitely not let rest until
      we get some answers.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2003
        No one knows what the status is. No official has contacted Evette since the
        first week.

        Hopefully The City Paper is going to do a followup piece. But no officials
        are volunteering anything.

      • ombresetlumiere@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2003
          Answers? HA!

          Your answer will be that this is a terrible tragedy, but that the proper officials have been notified, and if you are patient action eventually will be taken to bring these criminals to justice. (Doesn't it have a ring of familiarity?)

          Oh yes, part two...don't rabble-rouse or have any expectation whatsoever that Jim's going to do anything, or that the Chief is going to do anything, or that anyone is going to do anything. Know your place. Shut up and sit down.

          Besides, there is now the excuse of gang violence...how distracted they must now be by gang violence! As if all violence in this neighborhood isn't linked. In abstraction, the real crime is not even the attack on the older gentleman recently, horrible though it was...it is the response that devalued him as a human being, and by extrapolation, everyone else in this neighborhood. The crime continues with the attempts to evade direct examination of the violence and it's solution. We have had so many people trying to cover their asses, the point that people are getting hurt and/or dying is completely lost.

          Your answer is you won't get any answers except through extraordinary means. Perhaps the Citypaper can do it. They've got the media spotlight...and even those with a tendency to be a dismissive jackass in cyberspace seem to respond better when they know the whole of the city is watching. However, I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Sometimes asking a politician to do the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing is just as pointless as asking a slug not to be slimy.

          T.Aviance