Re: [columbia_heights] CH retail update

  • lwannemach@aol.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 5, 2003

      I, too, was happy to see Fresh Fields/Whole Foods on the list of potential merchants in CH.  However, I think it unlikely they will put in a store here, particularly with the large Giant that is programmed.  A Whole Foods would be wonderful, though.  Larry.
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 12, 2003
        This is a little overly simplistic but follow me. While this is not 100%, the goal of  most people is to see a clean safe CH with a diverse population income, culture, race and etc.  We want great schools, parks, quality retail and other amenities.  And some how this all needs to be sustainable.

        There are multiple methods and approaches to achieving this goal.  No one approach is going to be the answer and some approaches that may work well in one instance may not be the best at another time.  Along with hold individual retailers accountable, we also need a more comprehensive and strategic approach for this area. And that is my point banging on retailers one at a time with no really strategy, except it helps me vent is not in my veiw the most productive approach.  The biggest challenges for ensuring quality retail lie right here in CH, running down to some corporate headquarters is just a band-aid.  Because, I caution against overly using the I'm outraged bandwagon approach to solving and addressing many of the challange heres does not mean I advocate, "do nothing be satisfied with what you have approach".

        It is because feel CH deserves the BEST that I caution getting too caught up in the trees and forget about the long term and strategic, the forest.  Development and retail in CH is at least a 2 way street, if we truely want what is best for CH.  We want retailers to provide us with the best and we have a responsibility to ensure that CH is the best possible environment for quality retail.   I maintain that the responsibility for the latter rests with "us".   Not Jim Graham, Not the mayor, Not the police or Not some city agency, but us, they are just important bit players.

        William

        jconsolla@... wrote:
        William-
        I take exception to your assertion that folks are wasting their energy on "bashing" the local CVS rather than focusing on the "forest."  Barbara's solution to contact the managment and corporate higher-ups was a proactive, positive solution to a basic problem: lack of decent service as a result of poor management.  Don't all the citizens in Columbia Heights deserve a store that is clean?  Don't the employees of CVS deserve to work in an environment where they are valued and are trained properly?
        You've often posted on this list that the solutions to many of our problems in CH need to be resolved on a one-to-one, neighborly,positive approach.   I suppose Barb et al could bake some cookies for the undertrained clerks, but would that really solve the problem?
        Jean
        In a message dated 8/10/2003 6:41:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, whj@... writes:

        Trees and Forest in Columbia Heights.

        I guess because many of us are tired and may be a little demoralized
        that we get caught up in or sucked into tree thinking at the expense of
        the forest.   Maybe we just have too many trees to even consider the
        forest or maybe some  short sightedly see it their own political, social
        and economic self interest to encourage an overly tree focused CH.  I
        don't know, but it does seem to lead us to tree induced myopia. Don't
        get me wrong, I would never advocate a forest full of trees rotting from
        the inside.

        In general the Columbia Heights community when NCRC controlled parcels,
        school construction and rehab, parks, apartment complex transfers and
        rehabs are taken into account probably over $1billion dollars will be
        invested in Columbia Heights from 2002 to 2005 ( I'm working on getting
        the exact numbers).  This does not include small projects and home
        rehabs and the like.  Based on a year 2000 study the aggregate local
        buying power of Columbia Heights is amost $700M dollars per year.  This
        is after housing, taxes, utilities and transportation cost have been
        substracted.  I have lived here long enough to know that the
        overwhelming majority of people who live and work here are hard working
        quality people. More than enought to address the needs of this
        community. So, what's our problem.

        Tree thinking, is the problem.  Rather than focusing more of our
        energies on all the opportunities we have to build/rebuild a beautiful
        community, we would rather bash the local CVS, beat up line police
        officers, embarrass one another in public forums and think the worst
        about each other.  Although I realize the "other person" or "they" are
        the problem," we all need to be trained in how we think about this
        community and our approaches to addressing its issues. The current, "I
        got you, I caught you, I exposed you" approach is not really working.
        Let's take a new approach.

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/MpOolB/TM