Re: [columbia_heights] FW: Latest News on Illegal Document Sales on Columbia Rd

  • Louis Cardona
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003
      Jim,
      Great work on MPD and INS's part and thanks for the
      information, but when will we be more strategic and go
      after the employers that hire the users of the
      Micas(phony documents) especially when most of the
      employers know these documents are phony and thus are
      breaking the law. Also, correct me if I am wrong,
      but I have been told by members of MPD and the Secret
      Service that potential employers sometimes send
      someone to purchase large quantities of these micas,
      sometimes up to 50 of them so that they can provide
      their current employees with these micas to deceive
      with suppossed complaince to the 1996 Immigration
      Reform Law. Again, if residents want to see a major
      impact on this dreaded black market perhaps Mrs.
      Norton should pass legislation that also targets the
      employers and business owners that support this
      criminal enterprise.

      Do not get me wrong I do not want to remove
      accountability from the seller of the mica, but we
      know who are the real criminals in this matter. The
      reality is that regardless of how many members of this
      black market we arrest and deport there will always be
      people that will seek the micas out in order to find a
      job, and that's the irony to this that most of the
      individuals that are buying micas are doing so in
      order to get a job as opposed to robbing people and
      stealing. (Some laws are just flawed)

      Meanwhile, the real offender that contributes to this
      thriving black market never gets arrested. I wonder
      why? It is sort of sad to see that the almighty
      dollar means more to Americans then to ensure our
      safety, security, and well being.

      Sincerely,
      Luis Cardona
      At-Large member