Re: [coloratura] Re: Sumi Jo's high notes

  • farrellg@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
      Sumi Jo recorded the original version of Zerbinetta's aria and the Penguine Guide to Compact Discs said she did a satisfactory job with the high F#'s, although I've never heard the recording myself, so I can't give a first-hand opinion. That's the highest note I've heard of Sumi Jo singing. Its possible that she could hit a G; her high F's sounded very secure in "Der Hoelle Rache".
      Farrell
    • rrosa2539
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
        --- In coloratura@yahoogroups.com, "Logan" <brolobear@a...> wrote:
        >> I'm sure there are more, but off the top of my head, I know that
        > Mozart wrote two high Gs for his concert aria K 316. Also, Richard
        > Strauss wrote two high F#s for Zerbinetta in the original (and much
        > longer and more treacherous) 1912 version of Ariadne auf Naxos. I
        > have four recordings of the K316 (varying degress of success). As
        > far as the Zerbinetta goes, many people have heard Sills' rendition
        > (she leaves out the F#s) and I also have (somewhere) a recording of
        > Gruberova doing it (quite well) and also Hermine Bosetti (old
        > recording, but she makes it through.)
        >
        > Logan

        Happy New Year Logan and List.

        Massenet also write at least one, maybe more, High Gs for Escarmonde.
        The role was written for Sybil Sanderson, a Californian whom
        Massenet adored. He also wrote, if my rapidly disolving memory is
        to be trusted, Thais. That part only goes to High D.

        Richard
      • Ashley Taylor
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
          Does anyone have Sills's Der holle rache? If so, could they post please?

          djackson83 <djackson83@...> wrote:I am looking for Glucks Alceste libretto...
          and I can't find it anywhere...
          not even on karadar.com

          oh yeah and another thing tell me...
          what does anyone know about Sumi Jo's highest note?
          someone said that she could only hit a high F as in the queen of the
          night? and another said that she could reach a high A above the high
          F? and what is it that is so special about Jo's O Zittre Nicht??
          and her Der Holle Rache?

          I've listened to alot of queen of the nights and the only thing I
          hear different is Jo's is slower... the O zittre and Der Holle is
          faster... her high F in O Zittre is almost screamed?

          I've made a cd specially holding almost all the queen's that I like

          C. Duetekom's O Zittre
          C. Duetekom's Der Holle
          C. Deutekom's Nur Stille
          L. Serra's O Zittre
          L. Serra's Der Holle
          L. Serra's Nur Stille
          L. Popp's O Zittre
          L. Popp's Der Holle
          L. Popp's Nur Stille
          N. Dessay's O Zittre
          N. Dessay's Der Holle
          S. Jo's O Zittre
          S. Jo's Der Holle
          R. Peter's O Zittre
          R. Petter's Der Holle
          J. Sutherland's O Zittre
          J. Sutherland's Der Holle

          and on my second cd of the queen's
          it will be

          E. Gruberova's O Zittre
          E. Gruberova's Der Holle
          B. Sills' O Zittre
          B. Sills' Der Holle
          E. Moser's O Zittre
          E. Moser's Der Holle
          C. Studer's O Zittre
          C. Studer's Der Holle
          M. Robin's O Zittre [in French]
          M. Robin's Der Holle [French]

          and I'm still looking for more.. I want
          Lily Pon's O Zittre in French
          and Mady Mesple's both arias
          hallstein's both arias
          Valerie Williams both arias and then of course
          Cyndia Sieden's and I want her Mozart arias
          June Anderson and I'm not to sure if Koeth did the arias but if so I
          want them...

          haha I want them all lol

          if someone can help me I would like that alot

          addio for now

        • Daniel R Hanson
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
            --- In coloratura@yahoogroups.com, "Logan" <brolobear@a...> wrote:
            > You're right! I forgot about Jo's version of Zerbinetta 1912. And
            I have that recording! Margaret Price is the Ariadne, and she's in
            > pretty good form (although sounding a little flat here and there.)

            I only have Sumi Jo doing Zerbinetta's aria on her Virtuoso Arias Cd
            from Erato. She goes up to E and D, from what I checked at the piano.
            It must be a revised version of the aria or something. Oh, well!
            That's enough for me, since that's the normal range for lyric
            coloraturas.

            Sincerely,

            Daniel, mere soprano aficionado :-)
          • Daniel R Hanson
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
              --- In coloratura@yahoogroups.com, Ashley Taylor
              <beenthruthah20@y...> wrote:
              > Does anyone have Sills's Der holle rache? If so, could they post
              please?

              I've got Sills' live "O zittre nicht" if that helps at all. (She
              seems to struggle a bit on the high runs and stuff, but okay for
              Sills fans like myself.)

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
                post away! I have yet to hear any sound she has uttered that I don't just love!

                Daniel R Hanson <drh42@...> wrote:--- In coloratura@yahoogroups.com, Ashley Taylor
                <beenthruthah20@y...> wrote:
                > Does anyone have Sills's Der holle rache? If so, could they post
                please?

                I've got Sills' live "O zittre nicht" if that helps at all. (She
                seems to struggle a bit on the high runs and stuff, but okay for
                Sills fans like myself.)

                Sincerely,

                Daniel, mere soprano aficionado :-)

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • consara81
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
                  I have a live recording of Sills from 1966 where she misses all four
                  high Fs in Der Hölle Rache. She does not seem fazed by the calamity,
                  and the rest of the aria goes splendidly. I'd be glad to post it, and
                  I'd love to hear her attempt on O zittre nicht, but we need some
                  space first...

                  --- In coloratura@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel R Hanson" <drh42@e...>
                  wrote:
                  > --- In coloratura@yahoogroups.com, Ashley Taylor
                  > <beenthruthah20@y...> wrote:
                  > > Does anyone have Sills's Der holle rache? If so, could they post
                  > please?
                  >
                  > I've got Sills' live "O zittre nicht" if that helps at all. (She
                  > seems to struggle a bit on the high runs and stuff, but okay for
                  > Sills fans like myself.)
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  >
                  > Daniel, mere soprano aficionado :-)
                • sillstriplets
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
                    > > Unlike that squawking Deshorties woman

                    It is words like "squawking Deshorties woman" and "terrible singer"
                    that cause heated disputes among group members. Please use less-
                    harsh words to describe singers. After all, they are fellow human
                    beings.
                  • Logan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
                      <beenthruthah20@y...> wrote:
                      > Does anyone have Sills's Der holle rache? If so, could they post
                      please?

                      I have Sills' Der holle rache...all of that perfomance of Magic
                      Flute, in fact. I'll try to post as some point...or write me.

                      Logan
                    • Logan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
                        --- In coloratura@yahoogroups.com, "sillstriplets"
                        <sillstriplets@y...> wrote:

                        > > > Unlike that squawking Deshorties woman
                        >

                        > It is words like "squawking Deshorties woman" and "terrible singer"
                        > that cause heated disputes among group members. Please use less-
                        > harsh words to describe singers. After all, they are fellow human
                        > beings.

                        A agree with you...and I may have said something about "screaming"
                        referring to her. I apologize for any untoward remark.

                        However, Deshorties proved with that Met braoadcast that she should
                        never have gone near Constanze. She could be a very good Donna Anna,
                        but needs to steer clear of the dramatic coloratura roles and their
                        tessitura and exposed notes in alt.

                        Just my humble opinion. :-)

                        Logan
                      • Larry Flennoy
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
                          As a I said before, I new it would start off the new year, and I was right.

                          <carmelgbm@yahoo> wrote:
                          Yes, Happy New year, a lots more cattiness and vicious "Dynasty" style diaglouge that some of the members bring to the forum in discussing opera in 2004. Cant wait!

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
                            Poor Bev, that would be embarrassing, but at least she didn't let on...that's the way to do it if you screw up...good for her (sort of).

                            consara81 <consara81@...> wrote:I have a live recording of Sills from 1966 where she misses all four
                            high Fs in Der H�lle Rache. She does not seem fazed by the calamity,

                            wrote:
                            > --- In coloratura@yahoogroups.com, Ashley Taylor
                            > <beenthruthah20@y...> wrote:
                            > > Does anyone have Sills's Der holle rache? If so, could they post
                            > please?
                            >
                            > I've got Sills' live "O zittre nicht" if that helps at all. (She
                            > seems to struggle a bit on the high runs and stuff, but okay for
                            > Sills fans like myself.)
                            >
                            > Sincerely,
                            >
                            > Daniel, mere soprano aficionado :-)

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          • Al
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 2, 2004
                              And I have a live recording of her doing "O zittre nicht" where she
                              misses that final F also. Geez I wonder if these 2 renditions are
                              from the same performance???

                              I don't think I've ever heard a soprano who missed all 5 high Fs in
                              a single performance.

                              Mudd

                              --- In coloratura@yahoogroups.com, "consara81" <consara81@y...>