Susanna Phillips Lucia

  • aloysiamozart
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30 11:45 AM
      Did anyone catch the webcast of Lucia from Minnesota Opera last weekend starring Susanna Phillips? I recorded the mad scene and can share if anyone is curious.

      I didn't find anything spectacular there. It is a lyric voice -- barely a lyric-coloratura. Lucia seems to be the only really florid role in her repertoire -- she sings standard lyric roles: Countess in Figaro, Pamina, Ilia, Adina, Donna Anna and Donna Elvira, and among her concert repertoire are the Four Last Songs. There was not much dazzle in Lucia's coloratura and her voice felt a tad short on top (only one short, somewhat squeezed E-flat at the end of the Spargi d'amaro pianto).

      JOHN
      in seattle