Garanca / Re: Gruberova's Norma

  • Laurent
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2006
      Perhaps Garanca was inspiring her too!

      What a beautiful singer, this Garanca. I was the first to mention her in
      this group, although sime members in this group met her much sooner. Gerald
      has worked with her and Peter has sung with her at the Frankfurt Opera in a
      performance of Rigoletto (with Damrau as Gilda, what a night!), which I
      actually attended !

      She has recently sung Charlotte with Alvarez and I am so much hoping that
      she will record/sing "Sanson and Dalilah". She has the legato, power and
      seemless registers for that very demanding part!

      Gerald, can you without being too indiscreete tell us about what next roles
      she is "likely" to sing? Do you also think that the role of Dalilah would be
      appropriate for her?

      The Frankfurt Opera more and more is seen as a stepping stone for future
      opera stars. Apart from Garanca and Damrau, who started there, they have
      signed up Marrucu for their Gioconda, another great singer, who was
      mentioned in the group already.

      Laurent

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hi Laurent,

        Garanca has recorded a disc of Mozart arias for Virgin classics which will be released later this year. She includes lots of soprano arias, both opera and concert, as her voice is really a high mezzo, so I don't think Dalila will be in her future plans.
        She is singing a lot of Dorabellas this year and plans to keep Cenerentola and Charlotte active in her repertoire. I had her sing to Patric Schmid last year and he was very keen to use her for Opera Rara-but we are all unsure of the future of Opera Rara beyond this years current plans.

        Gerald

        > I agree..it's terrible....the cabaletta is very slow...no energy or
        > dramatic insight whatsoever....the voice is shrill and lacks focus and
        > projection...was Grubie a bit tired ??? She sounded more involved and
        > inspired in the baden-baden version with Garanca....
        > Anyone seen or heard and interesting Norma lately???
        >
        > Jim freezing cold in Strasbourg!!!!
        >
        > Ps : I'm posting the vien diletto from Puritani with the exquisite
        > Ciofi...from 1997 quite incredible!!!

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • olivier ojzerowicz
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
          This CD received bad critics in France where you can already buy it. She
          sings both Fiordiligi and Dorabella arias (like Berganza and Bartoli before
          her) and some soprano Concert arias (but no Aloysia stuff !). On critic said
          that her high notes where weak and that she would be better in Verdi. I
          didn't listen to it yet so I don't know. She was a good Adalgisa in
          Baden-Baden.

          Olivier

          2006/2/1, Gerald Moore <geraldmooreuk@...>:

          > Hi Laurent,
          >
          > Garanca has recorded a disc of Mozart arias for Virgin classics which
          > will be released later this year. She includes lots of soprano arias, both
          > opera and concert, as her voice is really a high mezzo, so I don't think
          > Dalila will be in her future plans.
          > She is singing a lot of Dorabellas this year and plans to keep Cenerentola
          > and Charlotte active in her repertoire. I had her sing to Patric Schmid last
          > year and he was very keen to use her for Opera Rara-but we are all unsure of
          > the future of Opera Rara beyond this years current plans.
          >
          > Gerald

        • facub2
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
            Hello,

            I didnt know that mezzos with weak high notes should sing Verdi.
            ???????

            --- In coloratura@yahoogroups.com, olivier ojzerowicz
            <o.ojzerowicz@g...> wrote:

            > This CD received bad critics in France where you can already buy
            it. She
            > sings both Fiordiligi and Dorabella arias (like Berganza and
            Bartoli before
            > her) and some soprano Concert arias (but no Aloysia stuff !). On
            critic said
            > that her high notes where weak and that she would be better in
            Verdi. I
            > didn't listen to it yet so I don't know. She was a good Adalgisa in
            > Baden-Baden.
            >
            > Olivier
            >

            > 2006/2/1, Gerald Moore <geraldmooreuk@y...>:
            > >
            > > Hi Laurent,
            > >
            > > Garanca has recorded a disc of Mozart arias for Virgin classics
            which
            > > will be released later this year. She includes lots of soprano
            arias, both
            > > opera and concert, as her voice is really a high mezzo, so I
            don't think
            > > Dalila will be in her future plans.
            > > She is singing a lot of Dorabellas this year and plans to keep
            Cenerentola
            > > and Charlotte active in her repertoire. I had her sing to Patric
            Schmid last
            > > year and he was very keen to use her for Opera Rara-but we are
            all unsure of
            > > the future of Opera Rara beyond this years current plans.
            > >
            > > Gerald

            t=ms&k=Performing+arts+camp&w1=Performing+arts+camp&w2=Performing+arts
            +schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center+for+the+performing+art
            s&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=PqRfg8xh0f_vJ0ndIhEwHg>
            Performing
            > > arts schools<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Performing+arts+schools&w1=Performing+arts+camp&w2=Performing+a
            rts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center+for+the+performing+
            arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=kF3aG7APCDIhBle9tApPhg>
            School
            > > of performing arts<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=School+of+performing+arts&w1=Performing+arts+camp&w2=Performing
            +arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center+for+the+performin
            g+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=bdLGm9PCNIeVTyeA_rsBxA
            > Center
            > > for the performing arts<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Center+for+the+performing+arts&w1=Performing+arts+camp&w2=Perfo
            rming+arts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center+for+the+perf
            orming+arts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=Ye-
            YSF16dOQeAR30xzJo_A> Performing
            > > arts center<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Performing+arts+center&w1=Performing+arts+camp&w2=Performing+ar
            ts+schools&w3=School+of+performing+arts&w4=Center+for+the+performing+a
            rts&w5=Performing+arts+center&c=5&s=150&.sig=kyHQUanNlUWu60Td1LXXHA>

          • Alan Davies
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
              <o.ojzerowicz@g...> wrote:

              > This CD received bad critics in France where you can already buy
              it. She
              > sings both Fiordiligi and Dorabella arias (like Berganza and
              Bartoli before
              > her) and some soprano Concert arias (but no Aloysia stuff !). On
              critic said
              > that her high notes where weak and that she would be better in
              Verdi. I
              > didn't listen to it yet so I don't know. She was a good Adalgisa in
              > Baden-Baden.

              Hello to all -

              Olivier -
              Garanca is a MEZZO-soprano, thus it would be ridiculous to expect
              that she might sing the Aloysia concert arias - obviously, they are
              not on the CD. I certainly don't know which French critics you have
              read, but if they hear this very lyric mezzo voice as a Verdi singer,
              then I wouldn't place much stock in their opinions. As Gerald
              pointed out (and he certainly is much more qualified to comment than
              I am), even Dalilah would be a huge stretch for this voice - Verdi
              must certainly be WAY out of the question.

              Now, I have not heard the Mozart CD yet, but Granca's high notes are
              SPECTACULAR on the Norma recording with Gruberova, and also excellent
              on her first aria disc from ONDINE. I am very much looking forward
              to the Mozart CD. Perhaps someone who has heard it can comment?

              Best regards to all -
              Alan
            • olivier ojzerowicz
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
                Alan,
                Saying that Elina Garanca might sing Aloysia arias was obviously a joke !
                But it is a fact that as she wants to sing soprano arias, she should have a
                secure high register. I do like her and I agree with you about her Adalgisa.
                I was there and very impressed by her beautiful warm voice.
                I know that Virgin Classics decided not to published all the concert arias
                she recorded because they were not so happy about the result. But once
                again, I didn't listen to it ( and I probably won't buy it as I'm more
                interested in concert arias for high soprano)
                The critic I read is from Opera Magazine ( if you can read french) : "La
                voix d'Elina Garanca est si ample qu'elle serait mieux reçue chez le Verdi
                d'Eboli ou Azucena. Un excellent entrainement technique lui permet de
                masquer un aigu difficile et un grave plutôt fragile" Actually he even says
                that her low register is fragile.
                But who do I know ?
                In which roles do you like to hear her ? Cherubino ? Idamante ? Rosina ?

                Olivier

                2006/2/1, Alan Davies <corasmino@...>:

                > --- In coloratura@yahoogroups.com, olivier ojzerowicz
                > <o.ojzerowicz@g...> wrote:
                > >
                > > This CD received bad critics in France where you can already buy
                > it. She
                > > sings both Fiordiligi and Dorabella arias (like Berganza and
                > Bartoli before
                > > her) and some soprano Concert arias (but no Aloysia stuff !). On
                > critic said
                > > that her high notes where weak and that she would be better in
                > Verdi. I
                > > didn't listen to it yet so I don't know. She was a good Adalgisa in
                > > Baden-Baden.
                > >

                > Hello to all -
                >
                > Olivier -
                > Garanca is a MEZZO-soprano, thus it would be ridiculous to expect
                > that she might sing the Aloysia concert arias - obviously, they are
                > not on the CD. I certainly don't know which French critics you have
                > read, but if they hear this very lyric mezzo voice as a Verdi singer,
                > then I wouldn't place much stock in their opinions. As Gerald
                > pointed out (and he certainly is much more qualified to comment than
                > I am), even Dalilah would be a huge stretch for this voice - Verdi
                > must certainly be WAY out of the question.
                >
                > Now, I have not heard the Mozart CD yet, but Granca's high notes are
                > SPECTACULAR on the Norma recording with Gruberova, and also excellent
                > on her first aria disc from ONDINE. I am very much looking forward
                > to the Mozart CD. Perhaps someone who has heard it can comment?
                >
                > Best regards to all -
                > Alan

              • Laurent
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Of course, you are right, the whole role lies a bit low for her voice, but
                  at the same time, there are arias from that opera that she could record!

                  In particular the duet, "Mon coeur s'ouvre à ta voix...Ah réponds" would be
                  splendid.

                  She has the legato, the power and the shining top notes.

                  I am curious what Garanca's tessiture and range are?

                  Many thanks for the information. I heard bits of her Mozart CD already but
                  haven't heard her Charlotte yet.

                  I liked the Mozart CD, but her voice has such potential, I think it really
                  shines in roles with more agility and / or power requirements (Norma,
                  Barbiere...).

                  I think he technique has improved since I first saw her barbiere (perhaps 5
                  years ago). Her high notes in particular are as Alan says, SPECTACULAR. It
                  may just be that the Mozart arias do not offer the possibility for that
                  voice to soar as much as it could! This is my personal opinion.

                  Again, many thanks for the information!