Music Man barbershop show should feel right at home

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2007
      I am forwarding this to all of you, because this show has a special place in my memory and should be friendly to all of you who have a background that has touched on Barbershop Harmony in general.

      It was posted on the Google A Cappella News Alert this morning.  Please consider marking your calendar. it's going to be a huge season for barbershop celebrations, given the presence of the International Barbershop Harmony Society (SPEBSQSA) Convention in Denver next July. I'm sure we'll be hearing much more about that also.

      Rol Sharette
      moderator

      "The Music Man" - 50th Anniversary Celebration

      The 100 voice, men’s a cappella chorus Sound of the Rockies on stage.
      The 100 voice, men’s a cappella chorus Sound of the Rockies on stage.
      Provided by: Randy Johnson

      SOUND OF THE ROCKIES BARBERSHOP CHORUS invites you to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of Meredith Willson's classic Broadway play, " The Music Man." Experience the excitement, the joy, the harmony, the charm, and the nostalgia as Sound of the Rockies takes you back to River City 'Ioway,' for a review of one of the most beloved musicals of all time. Hear your favorite songs: Seventy-Six Trombones; Lida Rose; Till There Was you; The Wells Fargo Wagon; Ya' Got Trouble; Goodnight, My Someone; Marian, The Librarian; and more, performed by Colorado's premier 100-voice men's a cappella chorus, Sound of the Rockies.

      Our guest quartet will be OC Times, the 2006 third-place Barbershop Harmony Society international medallist. OC Times is a young, energetic quartet breathing new life into a variety of swing standards, and barbershop classics. Inspired by artists like Michael Buble, Sinatra, and Bobby Darin, OC Times brings something new to the table: Traditional barbershop harmony; influenced by jazz and swing, and stylized by pop-culture.

      Two concerts will be presented on Saturday, March 24 th in the spectacular Gates Concert Hall at the DU Newman Center for the Performing Arts: 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. The Newman Center is located at 2344 East Iliff Avenue, on the University of Denver campus.

      For ticket and show information, call the Sound of the Rockies Ticket Meister at 303-369-2324. Concert information and ticket prices are available at http://www.soundoftherockies.com/show/. A message can also be left on the Chorus Hotline, (303) 215-3333

      Sound of the Rockies is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and has over 100 members who sing in the traditional four-part barbershop a cappella style. The Mile High Chapter, Sound of the Rockies Chorus is a member of the world's largest all-male singing organization, the Barbershop Harmony Society, an organization of over 30,000 men of all ages, from all walks of life, who love to sing a cappella harmony. Please visit www.soundoftherockies.com to find out more about upcoming shows and rehearsals. Rehearsals are open to visitors and prospective members. If you love to sing, come join us at a Thursday evening rehearsal.

      Where:Newman Center for the Performing Arts in the Gates Concert Hall, 2344 East Iliff Avenue, Denver
      When:Two shows, 2:00 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.
      Event Dates:This event takes place on Saturday, March 24, 2007.