Re: [colorado-acappella] moosebutter auditioning all voice parts!

  • Pat Erickson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2006
      How can you do that? That's like saying there can be 2 or more groups doing the Eagles, the Beatles, Fleetwood Mac or Coldplay,  or ??? Isn't it the people in the group that makes the group? Is there more than one FACE, or 17th Avenue Allstars or ???

      Just my thoughts, but I think this would be a terrible mistake in losing the identity of a group that fans follow.

      Pat
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2006
        Pat,

        That's an interesting take on our current situation, and we're glad
        that you identify so strongly with the moosebutter you're familiar with.

        In actuality, moosebutter has had nearly 40 singers since it was
        created in 1999. You read that right, 40. We've been through
        countless changes in style and singers, including most recently the
        hiring of a new bass to tour with us full time. We currently have 4
        "regular" singers and 6 "others" - great singers from other groups or
        other careers who perform with us when one of the regulars has pressing
        personal matters, when we feel like adding a fifth person for a special
        event, or when there are two gigs at the same time and we need to be at
        both places. We are increasingly facing this issue - someone wants us
        to do a private show on the same day a public show is scheduled, and we
        don't want to pass either of them up.

        For our public shows, don't worry, you'll be seeing the moosebutter you
        know and love. But for private shows, especially the work we do for
        company parties, we essentially have multiple 'casts' for our 'show.'
        It happens all the time - Broadway casts have understudies, shows like
        Stomp! and Blue Man Group have dozens of performers that rotate in and
        out of the cast, even professional a cappella bands like Toxic Audio
        and The House Jacks have alternate singers for certain events. We are
        certainly not trying to dissapoint the fans who are dying to see
        so-and-so because he always does that amazing duck call while wearing
        his speed-o (just an example, this doesn't actually happen).

        So, to answer your question, isn't it the people in the group that make
        the group? In a way, yes... JohnPaulGeorgeRingo are The Beatles... but
        they originally had a different drummer, and they took another drummer
        on a tour to Australia when Ringo was deathly ill.

        Or is 'moosebutter' the music, and not the people? Is it more like a
        production of Forever Plaid, with a script and characters, and you
        could have any number of hundreds of people fill any part and as long
        as it's good, it works? Could 'moosebutter' exist without four regular
        guys? Could moosebutter work with the inclusion of... *gasp*... a
        GIRL?!?!?!? Would I still have this skin condition if I stopped
        rubbing my face against that toxic waste bin?

        Let the debate begin!

        Just as long as it doesn't turn into a Sammy Hagar/Van Halen sort of argument.

        Tim, from moosebutter