Re:Voices Across America

  • rjsharette@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25, 2001
      OOPS!

      Gosh, I didn't see that city on the list. How dumb!

      I guess my eye just traveled to the biggies.

      I have no idea who is doing the program there, but I'll get in touch with Vocal Universe right away and try to put the info up on our meesage board asap.

      Yes, I believe the last I knew, Fort Collins was part of our great Colorado universe. I wish I had been more careful. Look for more info as soon as I make a contact.

      Sorry 'bout that. Thank goodness Dave took time to point it out. Let's see what we can do.

      Rol Sharette
      program director, CVJS
      Colorado Vocal Jazz Society
      Colorado co-ambassador, CASA
      Contemporary A Cappella Society
    • Roland Sharette
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2001
        Hello Colorado,

        I'm passing on the following message from Deke Sharon, president of CASA, to let you know how exciting this a cappella event has become. I also want to assure you that the level of board messages and responses you have seen lately will surely subside and I hope you will forgive the high level of communication this has created.

        I also want to caution all that we need to keep perspective on this. Surely, we are excited by the strength of our response, but it should be kept in proportion. I am personally humbled by what I have read and I feel we must give utmost priority to the good that may come to the families, to the rescuers and for the civilized climate that we hopefully will promote.
        Rol Sharette, program director, CVJS
        Colorado Vocal Jazz Society
        Colorado Co-Ambassador, CASA
        Contemporary A Cappella Society
        Here are Deke's words:

        "Amazing!  That would be the word I would use from the total number of responses given during this organization of Voices Across America.  It is unbelievable how one idea can grow into a massive event in just a few days!  I have received numerous emails, phone calls, and even letters inquiring how individuals or groups can help set up something in their area.  Therefore, after many late night hours, correspondance, and pulling strings all over the country, here is the info that most have requested:"

        Press Release:

        On September 30th, vocal groups from across the country will be performing free public concerts to benefit those affected by the recent tragic events in our nation.  From New York to Los Angeles, barbershop, choral, gospel, and contemporary music groups will gather together to unite in Voices Across America.

        Most major cities will be participating, with all of the groups in those cities singing the National Anthem as their first song.  Concerts will begin at noon on the west coast and 3pm on the east, with all groups singing the same song at the same time, across all time zones, respectively.  Full performances will then ensue, free for all to enjoy.

        Donations will also be accepted and 100% of the proceeds will go to aid the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.  Come and experience this united effort and enjoy some of the most talented singers around!

        You can discover more about this event and information pertaining to these groups at Vocal Universe (www.vocaluniverse.com) and the Contemporary A Cappella Society (www.casa.org).

        A Partial List of Cities & Groups Participating:

        Asheville, NC
        Solstice
        Atlanta, GA
        Big Chicken Chorus
        Diva
        GA Tech Sympathetic Vibrations
        InDEciSIon
        Vocal Tonic
        UGA Accidentals
        Yes, Virginia!

        Boston, MA
        All About Buford
        In the Moment
        Pelican Groove
        Burlington, VT
        Cat's Meow
        Random Association
        UVM TopCats
        Vermont Vocals

        Concord, MA
        Sarah Megan (4 A Cappella Groups)
        Denver, CO
        Denver A Cappella Project

        Eugene, OR
        Halie Loren
        Rescue
        Fort Collins, CO
        'Tangent

        Grand Junction, CO
        Good Company A Cappella
        David & Dona Ramsey
        Los Angeles, CA
        Harmony Sound
        Jazzappella
        Pacific Sound
        Sixth Wave

        Louisville, KY
        Dot H. Nolen
        Minneapolis, MN
        Dare to Breathe
        Kim Hussey
        Kris Gruchalla
        Kris Pearson
        Rose Ensemble
        Voice Trek

        New York, NY
        call4backup
        Carl Ferrara
        Christopher Noun
        Fonic, The
        Jonathan Heiles
        Lisa Dawson
        Nonsequitur
        Stacey Pilson

        Orlando, FL
        Platinum
        Return to Zero
        Toxic Audio

        Pittsburgh, PA
        In Acchord

        Rochester, NY
        Big D and the Bowties
        RIT City Brick Singers
        Vocal Point

        Sacramento, CA
        5 Past Midnight
        Boyz Nite Out
        Capitol Aires
        Mark Montgomery
        Santa Cruz, CA
        Alyssha
        Gold Standard Chorus
        Mount Madonna Choir
        SCATS
        Tammy Heinsohn
        Unity Choir
        VocaMotion
        Zambra

        San Francisco, CA
        Deke Sharon
        Dilemma
        Lisa Collins
        Nathan Casper
        Santa Rosa Redwood Chordsmen
        Seattle, WA
        3 of a Kind
        Kickshaw
        m-pact

        Toronto, Canada
        Essentials
        Jessika Diamond
        Washington DC
        3 Guys Mike
        Chromatics

        Times:
        Here are the subsequent times allotted for the cities and groups across the nation.  Please try and have all set up and organiztion done prior to your actual start time, as we would like to have the National Anthem sung at the designated hour, by everyone across the country.

        Hawaii - 9:00am
        Alaska - 11:00am
        Pacific - Noon
        Mountain - 1:00pm
        Central - 2:00pm
        Eastern - 3:00pm

        Graphics:
        Listed below are some links to graphics you may use for advertising and/or posting on a web site.  Please contact me if you have any desire for more graphics.

        Venues:
        With most large public venues under close scrutiny or unavailable for public events, due to security reasons, recommended performance arenas are as follows:

        Public Parks
        Malls
        Universities
        Churches
        Community Halls (Rotary, Lions, Elks, etc.)

        Local Media:
        Be sure to utilize all your local media contacts to cover this event.  Invite them to set up a live broadcast booth at the event, if possible.  Vocal Universe has been, and will continue to be contacting national media arenas for coverage.  We have already had definite interest and committment from major media houses and will be releasing their information shortly.  Some local media suggestions are as follows:

        Local News Stations
        Public Access Announcements
        Local Newspapers and Periodicals
        Local Radio Stations
        University and Academic Campuses, including Music Departments
        Personal Mailing Lists
        Clubs (Rotary, Elks, Lions, 20/30, Chamber of Commerce, etc.)
        Church Announcements

        Invite:
        Of course, invite everyone you know!  But, on top of that, be sure to contact your local fire and police departments to attend and show their support.  The public would love to see them and they would be a wonderful asset!  Also, be sure and invite local media, government officals and leaders within the community.  The more exposure and backing from these individuals, the more likely the tremendous turnout!

        Sound and Tech:
        Do to the differences in venues and locations, it is almost impossible to set a standard for everyone.  Needless to say, the only truly required equipment may be a sound system.  This doesn't mean it has to be perfect, just enough for everyone to hear.  If one group could set up and have their equipment available to all, it would be ideal.  Groups may have to work together to form a plan.  If you wish to film or tape the concert, please do so, and Vocal Universe or CASA may try to put a compilation video or CD together for access by all; with, of course, all proceeds going to the Red Cross.

        After the Event:
        Please contact Vocal Universe and CASA to let them know how the event turned out.  Send us interesting stories, insights or pictures and we'll post them for all to enjoy!  Try to have the monetary donation amount recorded, or sent to you, so we can have a grand total for the event and local and national news coverage.

        Want to Help?:
        If you or your group is interested in participating in this event, please contact your local CASA ambassador, Vocal Universe, or one of the groups already performing in your area.

        Thank You!
      • Roland Sharette
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2001
          We have all been touched in some personal way by the events of September 11, and as many have said, our lives will never be the same. I'll bet we all know of a relative, acquaintance, friend-of-a-friend or community member who was involved or affected by this horrible event. Just imagine that 200+ million people should be that close to the 7,000 who died or those who barely escaped. This deed was aimed at what the perpetrators envisioned to be things that we treasure or make us important: our financial centers and our military. What they instead accomplished was to murder thousands of our citizens who represent a cross section of the world population who make us what we truly are: a nation of freedom-loving individuals from many ethnic groups and religions (including those of the aggressors) who exult in life and pursue happiness in as many ways as can be imagined.

          Last Sunday, thousands of voices were raised simultaneously in song in cities across our nation and beyond. These singers and their audiences paid homage to their fallen friends, relatives, to names in newspapers -- and heroic countrymen -- in the best way we know how. The power of music rose up to respond with a very effective message to those who would attempt to lower us to their standards. We will overcome. We will celebrate our strengths while honoring our countrymen. We can make a musical path for our sorrow that leads to a victory of goodness over evil.

          "Voices Across America" was truly a great event and tribute, celebrated simultaneously all over our country and eslewhere. Reports are coming in to the CASA office showing marvelous support and an outpouring of musical gifts seldom before seen. In Colorado, there was a concert at Denver's Pepsi Center the previous night, but I wanted to point you to David Ramsey's report of the "Voices Across America" event in Grand Junction. It's on the message board close to this report. That's what it's all about.

          Rol Sharette, program director, CVJS
          Colorado Vocal Jazz Society
          Colorado Ambassador, CASA