Voices Across America (except Colorado?)

  • Roland Sharette
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2001
      More news about the Voices Across America event from Deke Sharon, president of CASA. So far, the only group that has responded to this idea is 17th Avenue AllStars (you can always depend on these folks -- they're usually up for any good cause). I will be out of the state over the September 30 weekend. Isn't there a Colorado group that could run with this? Imagine singing simultaneously at 1pm Denver time a week from Sunday with groups all across our land.

      Deke's full message is: "Here are the cities participating so far:

      Atlanta, GA
      Boston, MA
      Burlington, VT
      Fort Collins, CO
      Los Angeles, CA
      Minneapolis, MN
      New York, NY
      Orlando, FL
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Rochester, NY
      Sacramento, CA
      San Francisco, CA
      Seattle, WA
      Washington D.C.

      After a lot of considerations, the final date has been chosen as Sunday, September 30th for our Voices Across America Event!  That date is available for most groups and is a better day for families and the general public to attend.  The start time for all concerts should coordinate, respectively, to all time zones.  The following are the start times that will represent different cities across the nation:

      Hawaii - 9:00am
      Alaska - 11:00am
      Pacific - Noon
      Mountain - 1:00pm
      Central - 2:00pm
      Eastern - 3:00pm

      As for the venues, it is recommended that the concerts be held in a park, recreation hall, mall, or other easily accessible public location, with room enough for all.  A stage setting will depend upon each location accordingly, so choose with a good eye for visibility and media coverage.  Sound equipment is the biggest hurdle, as power may not be in close proximity, but, most parks or recreation facilities have power for reserved use. Having one group set up the sound, for all to use, may be the easiest solution, with the arrangement of microphones in a choir setting or on stands.  Limited mics means pairing up or grouping around.  Video and/or audio recording is up to the individual groups, as local media will probably be there to capture the event.

      The only stipulation that we ask, is that the event begin as close to the allotted time as possible, with the first song being our National Anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner".  Most groups have, at one time or another, been asked to sing at a local game or holiday event, therefore, it probably already resides in their repertoire.  If not, you may find all the words here: http://www.treefort.org/~rgrogan/web/usa1.htm  Determining which group will sing the opening is up to those attending, but could be sung by all the groups, and public, if desired.

      Vocal Universe is contacting all local Red Cross chapters to ensure that a volunteer is there to collect donations.  If for some reason there is not a local Red Cross chapter in the area, a firefighter or police officer will also be there to assist.  Web donations are also accepted on the Red Cross website and through PayPal.  The World Wide Web addresses are: www.redcross.org/donate or www.paypal.com .

      Vocal Universe has also begun the process of contacting national media venues for complete coverage.  These venues include: television (ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX, MTV, NBC, PAX, PBS, UPN, VH1, WB, and many private cable stations), radio (ABC, CBS, NBC, Public Radio), newspapers (Associated Press, New York Times, San Francisco Chronicle, USA Today), periodicals (Good Housekeeping, People, Time-Life, Us), organization mailing lists, etc. Local news, radio, newspaper, and mailing lists should all be contacted a.s.a.p., by groups attending, to announce the event and draw public
      attention.  Word of mouth is also a reliable, and sometimes, surprising factor.

      We are more than confident in the judgment and decision-making of each group participating, and we expect a wonderful turnout.  For your assistance, we have included the 7 habits of highly effective free public vocal performance checklist:

      1) Call and reserve the public park or recreation hall, usually with the local Park and Rec Authority, or mall administration for indoor activities.
      2) Contact the other groups attending, to plan singing order, equipment setup, or something special.
      3) Contact local media (television, radio, newspaper and universities) to make sure they announce the event and will have representatives there.
      4) Contact local fire and police departments to attend and show their support.  Have them bring materials to hand out to the public.  People would love to see them.
      5) Prepare song set lists and gather your group's products and information for everyone interested at the event.
      5) Have fun and help the audience to do so too.  Many people desire to help in some way, and this may be the only opportunity they find.
      6) Clean up the event area and thank everyone involved for making it a wonderful success.
      7) Send CASA and Vocal Universe stories, photos and the total monetary donations of your local event and we'll post them for all to read.

      As there is no set time length for the event, it is up to each group on their performance length and audience participation.  If the party is going good, then don't let it end!  And, by all means, promote your group and vocal music.  Having group CDs, shirts, magnets, concert announcements, etc., will help to increase exposure and fan base.

      Finally, please submit your group name, address, phone number and any other contact information for us to supply to other groups participating in your area.  We will send out a completed list to each demographic area by Friday morning.  If your group knows of any other amateur, collegiate, semi-pro, or professional groups that wish to attend, encourage them, support them, grab them and don't let go!

      Again, CASA and Vocal Universe wish to sincerely thank all the groups and individuals who have volunteered to participate in this national event.  We are very honored and grateful to be helping the victims and families of last Tuesday's tragedy.  If you have any questions, comments, ideas, or just have something to say, please do not hesitate to contact CASA or Vocal Universe."

      Deke Sharon
    • davelan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2001
        You said that no one in Colorado is participating but Deke's message said,

        << "Here are the cities participating so far:
        << snip

        << Fort Collins, CO >>
        << snip

        Since when is Fort Collins not part of Colorado?

        Anyone know the details there?

        Dave Lancaster
        Formerly of G3D
        Loveland, CO
      • 'Tangent A Cappella
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2001
          > You said that no one in Colorado is participating
          > but Deke's message said,
          >
          > << "Here are the cities participating so far:
          > << snip
          >
          > << Fort Collins, CO >>
          > << snip
          >
          > Since when is Fort Collins not part of Colorado?
          >
          > Anyone know the details there?

          Originally 'Tangent, from Fort Collins, was going to
          host the Colorado benefit concert, but at the last
          minute we had to poop out because of our tenor (always
          the tenors), so it looks like Grand Junction's the
          place now.

          ~Nic Widhalm
          VP for 'Tangent
          http://listen.to/tangentonline