"Groove" grooves; Have you heard Cool & Jazzy? Last 'Notes' of Summer

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2005
      Clear Day
      Hello A Cappella fans,

      We've had some great performances by Colorado groups, especially in Denver Metro, with more and more community programs turning to a cappella for their entertainment choices -- certainly more this summer than ever before.

      Groove Society turned on the jazz crowd at Saturday's 7th annual Longmont Jazz Festival at Dicken's Barn Saturday, as they really stirred the pot with their jazzy side coming out very clearly, and folks listening very closely. Some of their fans were on hand (including yours truly), but the buzz afterwards among jazz aficionados was, "Would you believe they could do all that with instruments?" The traditional crowd was highly impressed.

      And that brings me to my own latest revelation. If you haven't heard Cool&Jazzy, coming to you over the net or by CD from Moscow, you really should give a listen. They seem to do it all -- and very well with the accoutrements of overdubbing and tricky little rhythm things. I'm not complaining; it makes for fascinating sounds. They also do a lot of classically oriented stuff, sort of Swingle Singers, without quite as much "Swingling." Very versatile, this mixed quartet, with excellent harmony and very accurate intonation. Give them a listen when you have a chance at www.cooljazzy.com/engl. You're bound to find something that hooks. Every possible style is included.

      With summer events slowing down, you still have a chance to catch some of our favorite local groups: In case you've misplaced it, here's the tail end of the Colorado Songster schedule to post on your bulletin board. Catch them while you can. And watch for the Boulder A Cappella schedule to begin September 19. Mondays will brighten up when that happens.

      Saturday, August 27, 5:45pm 17th AVENUE ALLSTARS Northglenn Rec Ctr; Free

      Sun, August 28, 10:45am GROOVE SOCIETY Lyons Park, Greeley; Free
      Sat, September 3, 1pm 17th AVENUE ALLSTARS Vail Village; Free

      Sun, September 4, Noon 17th AVENUE ALLSTARS Dnvr, Elitches Gdns; Adm

      Sat, September 10, 1:30pm 17th AVENUE ALLSTARS Lowry Twn Ctr; Free

      Sun, September 11, 11am 17th AVENUE ALLSTARS Dnvr, Elitches Gdns; Adm

      Wed, September 14, 7pm CROSS EXAMINED Frederick, Rinn Valley Meth; Free

      Sat, September 17, Noon 17th AVENUE ALLSTARS Dnvr, Elitches Gdns; Adm

      Sun, September 18, 1pm 17th AVENUE ALLSTARS Dnvr, Clement Pk; Free

      Mon, September 19, 7pm face Lafayette, Nissi's Coffee Hse; Cvr

      Mon, September 19, 730, 8:45pm BOLDER A CAPPELLA Boulder, Redfish; Free

      Sun, September 25, 11am 17th AVENUE ALLSTARS Dnvr, Elitches Gdns; Adm