Barbershop Big in Colorado!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2005
      Clear Day
      I should have checked into this before the Colorado Songster went to print, but it's never too late to acknowledge success and here is the latest word in the Barbershop Harmony Society world:

      Colorado can be proud of all of its Barbershop Quartets, including "Ignition" who placed 2nd in this year's Harmony Sweeps and quartet "Nexus" who placed 25th overall in Salt Lake City, but especially three, count 'em 3!top ten placements in the Annual International Competition of Quartets and Choruses of the Barbershop Harmony Society (aka SPEBSQSA).

      In a world where competition is much more than incidental, among male a cappella harmony groups from all across the world, our state certainly took a disproportionate share of the prizes earlier this summer in Salt Lake City. The modest (no, I don't think that's the right word) and very focused groups who accomplished this remarkable feat representing just this state need to be recognized among our a cappella community, so here they are:

      Among the hundreds of male choruses from chapters everywhere there are BBS singers, the "Sound of the Rockies" group from Denver Metro's Mile High Chapter took seventh in the world. Congratulations to Randy Johnson, chapter president and Darin Drown, director, for bringing home this significant placement.

      And, one of the quartets from their Chapter, a perennial favorite of a cappella fans here, "Storm Front," made the 10th position among hundreds of quartets striving for the top spot. Congratulations to members David Ellis, Jim Clark, Sydney Libsack and Darin Drown for bringing Colorado this honor.

      And to put the frosting on the Colorado cake, a great quartet, always reaching the top contenders, "Saturday Evening Post," hailing from Colorado Springs (though their home chapters are in Texas), scored 7th among the huge field of BBS quartets from all over the planet. Members Scott Delude, Allen Gasper, Bobby Gray and Brian Beck should receive our thanks and congratulations for one more in a long line of championships for this famous quartet.

      Thanks to all of you for bringing home the respect and admiration of thousands of Barbershop singers and fans to all of our fine Colorado representatives in this most recognized of a cappella styles and expertise. Let's watch to see how our Sweet Adelines female groups do in New Orleans this fall.

      When do we get to hear y'all perform in our state?

      "I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music." - George Eliot.