Idea of North WORKSHOP TOMORROW NIGHT

  • Becky
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2004
      I have info! They are offering a workshop on Monday at 7PM I
      believe, cost is only a few bucks and for their talent I would pay
      in gold! It is at Lifebridge Christian Church, 10345 Ute Highway in
      Longmont 303-776-2927.I look forward to meeting some of you there!

      Yes, the SPAM song (must be astoundingly talented writers for that
      one :)) was one of the highlights as was the Toupee song. What
      does "Moosebutter" mean, exactly and how did the name become
      established (or is it best left unexplained)?

      --- In colorado-acappella@yahoogroups.com, "moosebutter moosebutter"
      <moosebutter@h...> wrote:
      > If you haven't seen / heard The Idea of North yet, GO ALREADY.
      Catch them
      > while they are here in the states. Sunday and Monday in Colorado -
      some
      > info on their web site www.idea.com.au , anyone have any other
      specific
      > info?
      > If you have seen them, go see them again. They are an amazing
      vocal jazz
      > quartet from Australia, singing with soul and skill.
      > I had the chance to meet Andrew, Nick, Naomi, and Trish at
      last year's
      > Harmony Sweepstakes finals. They are stellar musicians and warm,
      inviting
      > people. I'd been anticipating seeing their full show since I
      heard they
      > were going to be in the US several months ago.
      > When I first saw Idea at the Sweeps, I was blown away (as
      were the judges
      > and the audience). The overwhelming impression I got was of a
      rock solid
      > jazz group with two stunning and astonishing female vocalists. As
      I sat in
      > the Sunnyside Christian Church in Colorado Springs Friday night,
      the quartet
      > as a whole was no less outstanding, but it seemed to be Nick's
      show. The
      > rest of the group was crisp and precise as always, but Nick
      sparkled with a
      > variety of wonderful jazz and pop solos.
      > The quartet sailed through a variety of jazz, pop, and
      gospel numbers,
      > handling each style with skill and grace. They are incredibly
      smooth -
      > grooving comfortably in the pocket, wrapping their warm voices
      around lush
      > and complex chords, effortlessly passing solos back and forth, and
      gliding
      > in and out of unisons and different sonic textures with ease.
      Andrew is a
      > rock solid bass, Nick is a smooth lyric tenor, Naomi is a rich and
      dynamic
      > alto, and Trish is a sparkling and sensitive soprano.
      > The concert was everything that a good a cappella concert
      should be.
      > Plenty of variety, with a tasteful mix of humor, introspection,
      and plain
      > old great funky jazz.
      > Their set, with some notes:
      >
      > Mas Que Nada - won best arrangement at last year's Sweeps
      finals, and is a
      > tight rendition of a latin jazz standard.
      > I Loved You The First Time I Saw You - A great solo ballad
      by Nick, showing
      > the group's pop sensibilities.
      > It's Alright With Me - A song written and arranged for Idea
      by their friend
      > James Morrison. In a word: phenomenal!
      > His Eye Is On The Sparrow - A fabulous gospel tune - is
      there anything they
      > can't pull off?
      > My Hat It Has Three Corners - Funny comedic rendition of the
      German folk
      > song.
      > Just A Closer Walk With Thee - A fabulous, fresh jazz-gospel
      arrangement to
      > close out their first set.
      >
      > Intermission
      >
      > But Not For Me - Naomi really nailed this Gershwin number
      > Normal Blues
      > SPAM - A bit of lovely comedy
      > Fields of Gold - A brilliant arrangement of this Sting
      tune. Another great
      > Nick solo
      > Neat Surprise - Written by Trish, and her solo was delicious.
      > Evidence - The title track of their new CD, by Thelonious
      Monk with words
      > and arrangement by James Morrison. A very solid, Manhattan
      Transfer-esque
      > bop tune.
      > Rachel - Another Trish tune - haunting and beautiful.
      > Sweet Sweet Spirit - Another great spiritual.
      > Blue Baijou - A clever and hilarious parody... that I won't
      spoil.
      > Isn't She Lovely - An inspiring arrangement of the Stevie
      Wonder song.

      http://youroffers.msn.com