Idea of North concert review 4/30

  • moosebutter moosebutter
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2004
      If you haven't seen / heard The Idea of North yet, GO ALREADY. Catch them
      while they are here in the states. Sunday and Monday in Colorado - some
      info on their web site www.idea.com.au , anyone have any other specific
      info?
      If you have seen them, go see them again. They are an amazing vocal jazz
      quartet from Australia, singing with soul and skill.
      I had the chance to meet Andrew, Nick, Naomi, and Trish at last year's
      Harmony Sweepstakes finals. They are stellar musicians and warm, inviting
      people. I'd been anticipating seeing their full show since I heard they
      were going to be in the US several months ago.
      When I first saw Idea at the Sweeps, I was blown away (as were the judges
      and the audience). The overwhelming impression I got was of a rock solid
      jazz group with two stunning and astonishing female vocalists. As I sat in
      the Sunnyside Christian Church in Colorado Springs Friday night, the quartet
      as a whole was no less outstanding, but it seemed to be Nick's show. The
      rest of the group was crisp and precise as always, but Nick sparkled with a
      variety of wonderful jazz and pop solos.
      The quartet sailed through a variety of jazz, pop, and gospel numbers,
      handling each style with skill and grace. They are incredibly smooth -
      grooving comfortably in the pocket, wrapping their warm voices around lush
      and complex chords, effortlessly passing solos back and forth, and gliding
      in and out of unisons and different sonic textures with ease. Andrew is a
      rock solid bass, Nick is a smooth lyric tenor, Naomi is a rich and dynamic
      alto, and Trish is a sparkling and sensitive soprano.
      The concert was everything that a good a cappella concert should be.
      Plenty of variety, with a tasteful mix of humor, introspection, and plain
      old great funky jazz.
      Their set, with some notes:

      Mas Que Nada - won best arrangement at last year's Sweeps finals, and is a
      tight rendition of a latin jazz standard.
      I Loved You The First Time I Saw You - A great solo ballad by Nick, showing
      the group's pop sensibilities.
      It's Alright With Me - A song written and arranged for Idea by their friend
      James Morrison. In a word: phenomenal!
      His Eye Is On The Sparrow - A fabulous gospel tune - is there anything they
      can't pull off?
      My Hat It Has Three Corners - Funny comedic rendition of the German folk
      song.
      Just A Closer Walk With Thee - A fabulous, fresh jazz-gospel arrangement to
      close out their first set.

      Intermission

      But Not For Me - Naomi really nailed this Gershwin number
      Normal Blues
      SPAM - A bit of lovely comedy
      Fields of Gold - A brilliant arrangement of this Sting tune. Another great
      Nick solo
      Neat Surprise - Written by Trish, and her solo was delicious.
      Evidence - The title track of their new CD, by Thelonious Monk with words
      and arrangement by James Morrison. A very solid, Manhattan Transfer-esque
      bop tune.
      Rachel - Another Trish tune - haunting and beautiful.
      Sweet Sweet Spirit - Another great spiritual.
      Blue Baijou - A clever and hilarious parody... that I won't spoil.
      Isn't She Lovely - An inspiring arrangement of the Stevie Wonder song.

      Encore: Stayin' Alive - Wonderful tongue-in-cheek disco encore.

      Quote of the night:
      "I don't think we've ever had such pretty receptacles."

      Go hear them, and grab their albums. Well, well worth it.

    • Becky
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2004
        I have info! They are offering a workshop on Monday at 7PM I
        believe, cost is only a few bucks and for their talent I would pay
        in gold! It is at Lifebridge Christian Church, 10345 Ute Highway in
        Longmont 303-776-2927.I look forward to meeting some of you there!

        Yes, the SPAM song (must be astoundingly talented writers for that
        one :)) was one of the highlights as was the Toupee song. What
        does "Moosebutter" mean, exactly and how did the name become
        established (or is it best left unexplained)?

        --- In colorado-acappella@yahoogroups.com, "moosebutter moosebutter"

        http://youroffers.msn.com