An A Cappella evening to remember!

  • rjsharette@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9 3:33 PM
      I'm sure you're getting tired of hearing from me, but last night cannot go by without a last word on our Harmony Sweeps guests.

      At precisely 7:30pm I introduced to a packed Redfish crowd the 2004 Rocky Mountain Harmony Sweeps Runner Up group, No Better Cause, who experienced a huge ovation from Coloradans who love a cappella.

      Their hour long performance gave us an even better idea of why they took home their prestigious award, selected from a field of eight strong and eager competitors. My word for their success is smooth blend and balance, with beautiful close harmony intonation from a "couldn't-be-nicer" group of Nebraska's very best a cappella vocalists. The crowd couldn't get enough, giving them a standing ovation as their set drew to a close about 8:35pm.

      The day before, No Better Cause had lent their talents to our Colorado A Cappella Vocal Jam in Denver, including opening the program with a sweet and sincere National Anthem -- a fine arrangement, probably by Nate Kellison or another of the group. It was different than any I've heard and well received by the Chopper's and Vocal Jam patrons. Their willingness to join in for the whole weekend was a tribute to their friendship, although Adam's (I think) wearing that NEBRASKA jersey in town was a little hard for the Buffs to take.

      No Better Cause, Nate, Adam, Luke, the two Zacks and Justin (a Nebraska Justin?) left before the second show, because Lincoln is a long drive and a couple of them had to be at work, presumably by 6am!

      Inpulse originally had not been available for the Bolder A Cappella date, but Matt McDonald sent me email on Friday saying they could actually do a second show if we wished, since their Monday date was in nearby Longmont and should be over by 8:30pm. We confirmed that at the Sweeps and they were on for the late show, hopefully at 9:15pm. Most of the crowd stayed over and were joined by lots of folks who wanted to hear the Champs. It was a bit of a wait, but LoDo Air Band, Face and Allstars members kept the party going with some vocal jam stuff of their own, thanks to Christine Young. We put watchers out on the streets and the guys arrived about a half hour late, but ready to knock down the doors.

      Inpulse had spent the whole day at Silvercrest High School working with aspiring group singers in the very young music program at this new school. Then they had done a 7pm packed house fundraiser for parents and friends, so by 9:45pm they should have been getting some rest, but they had agreed to come to Redfish, and they were there. Their hour long set was a revelation to many. The depth of their rep (the group has been together formally for 10 months), their energy, the stylish arrangements and original songs, and their rapport with the enthusiastic crowd were an immediate explanation for what the judges had seen in their performance.

      This is a group to be reckoned with at the Sweeps Finals. It was hard to let them go when they were through, except they weren't actually through. When I left at 12:15am, there were still Colorado and Inpulse singers winding down, sharing stories and wishing each other good luck with their singing careers.

      I can say right now two things: 1) Inpulse will be back to host an exciting Rocky Mountain Sweeps around this time next year -- for sure. Got them to commit right on the Redfish stage. 2) We will have powerful representation at the Sweeps Finals in May, and it will be shocking to a lot of folks across the country when Inpulse takes home the National Champion banner as proud (yes, they are) Rocky Mountain Champs of 2004 a cappella.

      Ten months ago, no one would have thought that, including Matt, Marcus, Mike, Gabe and Paul. Now they know they can do it (and so do we), and there are going to be some surprised folks in the Bay Area on May 9 -- the morning after.

      Wait and see.

      Rol Sharette
      program director
      CVJS

      We at CVJS want to thank Redfish owner, Steve Shenk, for his endorsement of a cappella in providing a welcome home for groups and fans in the Denver Metro area. He went above and beyond the call last night in staffing and servicing the crowd and providing some extra gas money to get those eleven guys home to their midwest digs. Thanks again, Steve.
    • Julie Williams
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10 7:11 AM
        Hi Rol,

        I am glad things went so well for the groups last night, they are very
        talented. I just want to let you know that I had a fabulous time judging
        the Sweeps and would love to judge the sweeps again if you need me. Thanks
        for the opportunity and take care, Julie Williams

> [...]
        >proud (yes, they are) Rocky Mountain Champs of 2004 a cappella.
        >
        >Ten months ago, no one would have thought that, including Matt, Marcus,
        >Mike, Gabe and Paul. Now they know they can do it (and so do we), and there
        >are going to be some surprised folks in the Bay Area on May 9 -- the
        >morning after.
        >
        >Wait and see.
        >
        >Rol Sharette
        >program director
        >CVJS
        >
        >We at CVJS want to thank Redfish owner, Steve Shenk, for his endorsement of
        >a cappella in providing a welcome home for groups and fans in the Denver
        >Metro area. He went above and beyond the call last night in staffing and
        >servicing the crowd and providing some extra gas money to get those eleven
        >guys home to their midwest digs. Thanks again, Steve.

        Fast. Reliable. Get MSN 9 Dial-up - 3 months for the price of 1!
        (Limited-time Offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/