Tickets for Sweeps (READ THIS!)

  • rjsharette@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25 9:55 AM

      Hey A Cappellists,

      Just a word for those of you considering (and we hope that includes YOU) coming to the biggest a cappella show of the year at Gates Hall on Saturday, March 6. There has been some confusion about tickets and we want to be sure that doesn't discourage your attendance.

      Seats are general admission at $18, with student, senior and group rates (15+) at $14. That's comparable to previous Sweeps at $17 and no discount rates. The venue handles all ticket sales, and this has complicated the purchase process for some of you. Here are the facts:

      CVJS cannot possibly service your ticket ordering needs, so we were grateful to work with the Newman Center staff on this heavy responsibility. However, the arrangements were not specifically clear when we signed up. We have always used TicketWeb, a modest ordering system for mid-range show folks. Gates Hall has a contract with Ticketmaster that prevented this, so we went along with that, believing the Newman Center box office would also handle sales. We find now that, by virtue of their contract with TM, they can only handle walk-up sales and group reservations -- no onesy-twosy advance sales. That was a shock.

      But never mind! There's an easy solution for us all!

      First, Gates Hall is humungous, so there will certainly be plenty of tickets available an hour before the show. You can buy your general admission seats (no reserved seats or sections) right there when you arrive. And at no mark up at all.

      Second, you can try to identify a group that will include your purchases at a small mark up (we're talkin' $3.00 for the entire group) and have your tickets waiting in Will Call. This message board could be the communications link for such groups. Save yourself some dough and see what your a cappella friends can help with.

      We apologize for this confusion, but we'll know better next time. Ticketmaster mark ups are atrocious (about $8 on a single ticket), and we would not encourage anyone to support what looks like a very poor arrangement Newman Center has got themselves into.

      Help CVJS make this one of the most successful Harmony Sweepstakes in Denver history. Join us on March 6 at 7pm for eight spectacular a cappella singing groups. Just decide to show up and you'll be doing yourself and us a favor and making it obvious to Newman Center that they are not sufficiently servicing the community events that ought to be playing there.

      Bottom line? I guess there are two: Support the Sweeps! Have fun on Saturday, March 6!

      Rol Sharette

      Harmony Sweeps producer

      CVJS Program Director