CARA Nominations

  • rjsharette@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2004
      Finalists for the Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards (CARAs), the Grammys of the international a cappella community, have been announced by the CASA selected nominating committee and it looks like an exciting and varied line up, maybe the finest in recent years. You can review the entire list at www.casa.org.

      It's exciting to see several of my personal favorites and probably some of yours. The ever-perfect Kings Singers have a new Christmas album ("Christmas"), that is up for that award, but they have stiff and excellent competition from The Real Group ("Julien En Her") and Utah's Eclipse ("Three Kings" which I reviewed here a few months ago).

      Another Utah group, moosebutter, who we will be seeing in a couple of weeks in Denver at the Rocky Mountain Harmony Sweepstakes, are up for Best Comedy Song, "Psycho, the Musical" from the 2003 Harmony Sweepstakes Championships album.

      The most important news for us is about Denver's remarkable professional ensemble, Kantorie, who are nominated (possibly for their first CARA) for Best Religious Album ("The Road Home") AND Best Religious Song ("Ezekiel Saw the Wheel"). I've heard the latter in concert and it truly is a work of art.

      Nice to see these awards get international attention, and to see a cappella awards finally becoming part of the action at the 2004 Grammys, where last week a cappella accolades were placed in Best Gospel Album ("A Cappella" -- Gaither Vocal Band), Producer oft he Year, Classical to Robina Young ("Darkness Into Light" -- Anonymous 4), Best Choral Performance ("Walden Pond" -- Dale Warland Singers), and Best Classical Crossover Album ("Our American Journey" -- Chanticleer).

      These albums are surely conveniently available from both Primarily A Cappella and Mainely A Cappella at very competitive prices. The final winners for the CARAs will be announced in late March.

      Rol Sharette
      moderator