Another spam attack!

  • rjsharette@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
      Thanks, Roger, for that helpful explanation.

      Yes, that's our second encounter with greedy, unthinking spammers in as many months. Naturally, I have banned that subscriber, but of course, if they are determined, they can simply establish a new email address and do it again. That hasn't happened in the past, but of course, neither has this form of totally unacceptable message.

      What to do about it?

      We can ask message board owner John Neal to close the board to screened members only. That means each new subscriber would have to apply for permission to use the board, an extra step in managing board operation, but not a huge burden. And of course, that can't guarantee some persons misrepresenting themselves won't be approved.

      How about some feedback on this item from our users? Should the board be closed membership or remain open to anyone as it has been?

      Rol Sharette
      moderator

      "How many trombonists do you need to pave your driveway?"
      ~ Seven, if you lay them out just right. ~ Buddy Hackett
    • Olson, Roger
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003

        Hi Rol,

        I could go either way on the issue.  Overall, I think we are fortunate to only have been spammed twice so far this year (correct me if I'm mistaken on that count).

        I'm fairly thick-skinned, as I see this kind of thing all the time.  Not so much at work, as our filters work well at screening out the garbage, but I get it on my home PC constantly.  I just delete every message where I don't recognize the sender or where the subject is of questionable integrity.  If the group members can put up with a once-in-a-blue-moon spamming, I'm fine with that.

        On the other hand, if someone were willing to screen subscribers, I'm fine with that too.  I doubt if any spammers would bother going through the sign-up process, as there are so many "easier" targets out in cyberspace.

        I'll go along with whatever position the majority supports.

        Roger O.

        Tenor, SoR

[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Thompson, Sarah (Boulder)
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21, 2003
            I would agree with Tim, Rol. The impact has been small so far--let's not complicate the moderator's life (that'd be yours, I guess) unless we have to.

            Sarah T.
            3 Story Limit