TAX CONSIDERATIONS FOR MUSICIANS

  • rjsharette@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2003
      Colorado A Cappellists,

      The following note is something many of you should find interest in. We're approaching tax time and, if you're in the same boat with many other musicians, you're always in some doubt about how to get the best deal when reporting artist income and the business related benefits you can claim.

      This looks to me like a great chance to learn something that could help you for years to come. When I spoke with the director, Michael Miller, he suggested offering you his email address, to which you may forward specific questions in advance, to be highlighted by the tax experts at this evening session. Too few of you groups have non-profit status, so you have more tax exposure than you should be bearing. I'm sure you'll get some clues on how to massage some of your information to lessen that burden.

      No reservations required. C199 is right next to Grusin Auditorium and should provide ample room. I can think of a dozen of you I know right now who should be there: Adam, Joseph, Christine, Dutch, Dana and Bianca among others. Hey, it's free!

      Contact:    Dr. Michael Millar, Interim Director, Entrepreneurship Center for Music, 303-735-1272,

      Event:    Tax Workshop for Musicians
      Time:
          Wednesday, February 5, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
      Location:    Imig Music Building, Room C199, CU-Boulder Campus
        Call 303-735-1272 for information.
      Admission:    Free and open to the public

      CPAS PRESENT WORKSHOP ON TAX CONSIDERATIONS FOR MUSICIANS

      The University of Colorado at BoulderĀ¹s Entrepreneurship Center for Music presents a tax workshop with Scott Thomas Lyle, CPA and William F. Jones, CPA, from the esteemed Boulder accounting firm Marty, Lyle, and Doty, LLC. Panelists will provide general information on tax considerations for artists within the discipline of music. In addition, this workshop is designed to answer specific questions of participants submitted in advance, resulting in engaging and useful discussions about various tax issues faced by musicians. Advance questions can be sent to Dr. Michael Millar at Michael.Millar@.... Admission is free and open to the public.

      Scott Thomas Lyle, Principal, is certified to practice as a CPA in both Colorado and California. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Colorado Society of Certified Public Accountants, the Community Association Institute, the Erie Chamber of Commerce, and the Longmont Rotary Club.  He also volunteers and is the Treasurer for the Arts and Humanities Assembly of Boulder County. The professional affiliations of William F. Jones, CPA, include the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Colorado Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the Construction Financial Management Association.

      Call the CU Entrepreneurship Center for Music at 303-735-1272 for more information.