Fw: The Basics of Gigging - Sunday, 7pm, at Herman's

  • Roland Sharette
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2009

      I know very little of this is a cappella or vocal, but COMBO provides news of some interesting activities you may not find out about elsewhere:

      Rol Sharette
      Boulder, Colorado

      combo logo Colorado Music Business Organization
      http://www.ColoradoMusic.org
      Meetings of the Colorado Music Business Organization are Free and Open to everyone interested in the music scene.

      Colorado Music Business Organization” | *COMBO*
       www.coloradomusic.orgmyspace.com/coloradomusic | myspace.com/coloradobandsonly

      * * * * *

      We’re going to send our Announcements out on Thursdays because there are events happening on Friday and the weekend that you may have needed a little more notice in order to plan them!

      * * * * *

      NOVEMBER COMBO MEETING: “THE BASICS OF GIGGING”!

      David Barber will be hosting a workshop on "The Basics of Gigging" on Sunday, November 15th at Herman’s Hideaway, 1578 South Broadway, Denver, 303-777-5840. He will have a panel of guests ranging from door guys to sound men to help you get the most out of your gig. They’ll give you the ins and outs to be a band that gets asked back again and again. The workshop is for bands/musicians who have never played out, haven't played out much, have played out a bunch but keep having problems, and for seasoned performers who want to share their wisdom.

      When: Sunday, November 15th
      Where: Herman’s Hideaway (special opening)
      Time: 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
      Cost: Free to all! Sponsored by COMBO

      * * * * *

      DATES TO MARK ON YOUR CALENDAR...

      Fr-Sa, November 6th thru 14th - Denver Arts Week
      Fr, November 13th - CMB FAC - 5:00 p.m.
      Sa, November 14th - Rescue Mission - Colorado Springs
      Su, November 15th - David Barber Presents “The Basics of Gigging" - COMBO Special!
      Su, November 15th - Young @ Heart Chorus - 4:00 p.m.
      Mo, November 16th - Special Screening of “Copyright Criminals...”
      Tu, November 24th - COMBO Showcase at the D-Note
      Fr, November 27th - Denver’s Grand Illumination
      Fr & Sa, December 4th & 5th - Parade of Lights
      Sa, December 5th - Marines’ Toys for Tots Drive
      Sa, December 5th - “Three From Tennessee” benefit - Walsenburg, CO
      Sa, December 12th - MoJo’s Secret Fund-Raiser Holiday Party
      Su, December 13th - COMBO Holiday Party at Gennaro’s
      March 2010 - Attend the DOCA and CHUN/UMX events
      Su, April 18 - COMBO MUSIC EXPO – Write it on your calendars NOW

      COMBO’S BAND SHOWCASE AT THE D-NOTE IN ARVADA...

      The D-Note in Arvada is hosting COMBO’s Band Showcase. No pay but a great place to perform and you can sell your merchandise while building a following in the north area!

      The showcase will be held on November 24th, 7:00 til 11:00 p.m. This month’s showcasers are Bill Groh and Greg Greeg.

      Contact Steve at SteveWerg@... if you are interested in performing.

      * * * * *

      WELCOME NEW MEMBER SPANISH PEAKS ALLIANCE!

      (See below for information about their new project – the renovation of the Fox Theatre in  Walsenburg, and their opening show, “The Tennessee Three!)

      * * * * *

      MORE BUYER BEWARE THOUGHTS – In doing some research for another internet scam, I came across this stern warning from the FBI (www.fbi.gov): “Do not pay for services up front!” There is no way to get your money back if the services are not performed or performed to your satisfaction. Check it out. Also check out www.oprah.com for more scams. I tell you this because we just received 3 more e-mail notices of “pay us to do something for your band” that you can’t be sure will be done! (i.e., radio play, sending of your CD to radio stations, “management contracts”, setting up tours).

      * * * * *

      DENVER’S GOT TALENT!

      Good news! This show has been so successful that Nardo T’s has decided to extend it through November! Contact Nardo T’s for more info.

      Jimmy Abeyta, a national and local comedian, is hosting an ALL AGES weekly talent show on Saturdays from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The final winner will receive $500! Also, Innervision will film the show for Comcast 56 so tell all your friends to come out and support your talents!

      Jimmy will be accepting donations as well for Innervision, a non-profit that works with disabled artists E-mail for more info. Innervision3@...

      Where: Nardo T's, 4343 Sheridan Blvd, Montview, CO 80212, 720 366-4369
      When: Saturdays
      Time: 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

      www.innervisionrecords.org

      * * * * *

      COLORADO MUSIC BUZZ - FRIDAY AFTERNOON CLUB (FAC)

      Next FAC is Friday, November 13th (Ha, ha – Friday, the 13th – Get it???) The FAC will be held at Greenfield’s, one block west of Wadsworth, just south of Girton Drive (north of Hampden/285). Check out their website for more info! www.coloradomusicbuzz.com

      Bands: Let us know if you are interested in playing CMB's FAC events. Chris Murphy - cmurphy@...

      P.S. You can pick up a COMBO brochure / application at the CMB/FAC, too!

      * * * * *

      DENVER ARTS WEEK - NOVEMBER 6th THROUGH THE 14th

      Too much info to put here! Check out their website at www.denverartsweek.com for full info and details about all the activities that are planned for artists of all types.

      * * * * *

      SPRINGS RESCUE MISSION (Rachel is one of our own musicians!)

      Colorado Springs, CO - Join Springs Rescue Mission (SRM) in making a difference! As the needs of the hungry, homeless and low-income in Colorado Springs increase so do our efforts to help those who are struggling.

      Throughout the holiday season SRM will be appearing at several remote locations collecting items of vital need to care for the less fortunate in our city. The next opportunity to help change a life and provide hope to someone in need is as follows:

      What: Non-perishable Food and Warm Winter Coat Drive for the Hungry and Homeless.
      When: Saturday, November 14, 2009 from 11:00-3:00 pm.
      Where: Sam's Club at Woodman and Academy (1850 E. Woodmen Road) and Sam's Club at South Academy just north of Fountain Blvd. (715 South Academy Blvd).

      Items of need include: Any non-perishable food items; New or good used winter coats; Holiday meal food items (turkeys, boxed stuffing, boxed mashed potatoes, canned mixed vegetables, canned yams, baked pies). An extensive shopping list of needs can be picked up at the remote locations.

      Rachel Stovall,
      Event Coordinator, Springs Rescue Mission
      (719)632-1822
      www.mysrm.org
      rachels@...

      * * * * *

      YOUNG @ HEART CHORUS IN DENVER

      I am so excited to share with you this very special project that I’m coordinating for Senior Care of Colorado. We’re bringing the Young@Heart Chorus to Denver for a rare live performance in Denver in November, and proceeds from the event will benefit Jeremy Bloom’s Wish of a Lifetime, a foundation that grants wishes to low-income seniors. Lannie Garrett will open for the Chorus with selections from her show, Screen Gems—Songs fromthe Movies.

      If you haven’t seen the documentary film about the Young@Heart, you’ve missed out. It’s a touching, uplifting film about a bunch of rowdy 70- and 80-year-olds living in their passion and sharing their vitality and talent with others. The movie is available on DVD now.

      Please take a look at our website,
      www.YoungAtHeartInDenver.com, and get your (very affordable!) tickets through TicketsWest online, over the phone, or at King Soopers. Sponsorship opportunities are still available; let me know if your organization would like to participate in that way.

      Sunday, November 15
      Doors at 2:00; Curtain at 4:00
      Wells Fargo Theatre in the Colorado
      Convention Center

      Tickets Online at:
      http://ticketswest.rdln.com/Artist.aspx?contentID=12777

      Call 866.464.2626 or 719.576.2626

      Or visit your neighborhood King Soopers

      Ticket Prices:
      $ 5 Seniors (65+), Kids (12 & under), and Military
      $ 25 General Admission
      $100 VIP with backstage meet & greet after the performance
      Please ask about our special expanded ADA and companion seating

      And, by all means, forward this message freely!

      In celebration,
      Holly LeMaster
      Event Coordinator
      Young@Heart in Denver Performance
      o: 720-855-8133
      c: 303-601-0463
      e: Holly@...
      i: www.YoungAtHeartInDenver.com

      * * * * *

      SPECIAL SCREENING OF “COPYRIGHT CRIMINALS: This is a Sampling Sport”

      The Copyright Society of the USA Rocky Mountain Chapter and Intellectual Property Law Society of the University of Denver College of law Present A Special Screening of “Copyright Criminals: This is a Sampling Sport”.

      Date: Monday, November 16, 2009
      Location: University of Denver College of Law, 2255 East Evans Avenue, Denver, Room 270
      Cost: Free
      Time: 6:00 p.m. (Reception to follow)

      Program:
      This breakthrough film examines the creative and commercial value of musical sampling, including the related debates over artistic expression, copyright law, and (of course) money.

      This documentary traces the rise of hip-hop from the urban streets of New York to its current status as a multibillion-dollar industry. The film showcases many of hip-hop music’s founding figures and also features emerging hip-hop artists. The film provides an in-depth look at artists who have been sampled, including commentary by funk legend George Clinton.

      As artists find ever more inventive ways to insert old influences into new material, this documentary asks a critical question, on behalf of an entire creative community: Can you own a sound?

      To RSVP please email IPLS@...

      Parking is available in the parking garage underneath the Law Building; parking passes will be provided upon request.

      * * * * *
      DOWNTOWN DENVER GRAND ILLUMINATION

      The Downtown Denver Grand Illumination Event will light up the city from Denver Union Station to the City & County Building on Friday, November 27, 2009. Festivities at Denver Union Station begin at 5:30 p.m. and feature an evening of FREE holiday fun for the entire family, including music, a visit from Rockies mascot Dinger-Claus, complimentary refreshments, special guest speakers and a countdown to “light the lights” live with 9NEWS at approximately 6:30 p.m. Lightings at Larimer Square, Skyline Park, the Tabor Center, D&F Tower, Denver Pavilions and all along the 16th Street Mall will add even more magic to this special evening.

      Insider tip: After celebrating at Denver Union Station, head south down the 16th Street Mall on RTD’s FREE MallRide to see more holiday lightings. You can exit the shuttle at Larimer Street , Arapahoe Street , Glenarm Street and finally at Civic Center Station for great views!

      * * * * *

      DENVER’S PARADE OF LIGHTS

      December 4th & 5th - 9NEWS Presents the Parade of Lights, 8 p.m. each night!

      The 9News Parade of Lights will return to the streets of Downtown Denver again this year, providing FREE, holiday entertainment for the whole family!

      Grandstand tickets, in front of the beautiful City & County Building , are available for purchase.
      Visit www.DenverParadeofLights.com for more information.

      www.denverparadeoflights.com

      * * * * *

      MARINES’ TOYS FOR TOTS DRIVE - ANNUAL CHRISTMAS CARAVAN

      More information will be forthcoming but plan on donating new, unwrapped toys for the Marines’ Toys for Tots program on Saturday, December 5th, at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. This is a wonderful holiday program and with the economy worse than ever, your help is really needed to get some toys for needy children.

      Local bands, including the Julia Bryan Band and The Velvet Elvis, will also be entertaining and donating their time to help out this worthy project. They will be performing on the stage donated by CarToys – a truly unique entertainment experience!

      * * * * *

      “THREE FROM TENNESSEE” BENEFIT

      The Spanish Peaks Alliance for Arts and Education, a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization serves as an umbrella organization for the Spanish Peaks International Celtic Music Festive (late September of each year) and for the restoration of the Fox Theatre in Walsenburg so that it can become a premier regional performing arts center. Part of their fund raising consists of supporting concerts and other performance programs at the Fox Theatre.

      Their first fund raising concert on Saturday, December 5, starting at 7:00 p.m, at the Fox Theatre in Walsenburg (on Main Street) will feature Tommy Tutone with Fred James and Mary-Ann Brandon, all from Nashville, but not country musicians. Thus, the "Three from Tennessee" title!

      Thank you.

      Stirling Lathrop for the Spanish Peaks Alliance for Arts and Education, Inc.
      For more info, contact Mr. Lathrop at 719-742-6655. Their website is under construction.

      * * * * *

      ABBY’S VOICE - 2ND ANNUAL BENEFIT

      I am working with the non-profit Abby's Voice Foundation for the prevention of domestic violence. On December 11th at 8:00 p.m., at the Fox Theatre in Boulder, we are having the 2nd annual Abby's Voice Benefit with Binary Star, Whiskey Blanket, Wheelchair Sports Camp, and Abi & The Blue Language. All proceeds from the night will go to the foundation to prevent teen date violence. E-mail me if you need more information.

      Tickets: $15 in advance; $20 DOS.

      Thank You,
      Kalyn Heffernan

      wheelchairsportscamp@...

      * * * * *

      MOJO’S MUSIC ACADEMY HOLIDAY [FUND-RAISER] PARTY

      When: Saturday, December 12th
      Time: 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
      Where: Deli Zone, 1240 Ken Pratt Blvd., Longmont CO 80501
      Cost: FREE
      All ages! Open to the Public!

      FUNDRAISER INFORMATION: Whom and Why:

      Live music, Santa Colorado [Secret Santa Fundraiser for Jackie Petersen "The Jackie Freedom Fund"].

      I am writing to you to express our support and concern for a teenage girl caught up in a dysfunctional foster parenting situation.

      Young Jacquelyn Petersen came to us through the Boulder County Workforce program and was employed at our Mojo's Music Academy in Longmont. She came to us as a very intelligent, self motivated, and musically talented 15 year old girl. She was a perfect match for our receptionist position and assistant teacher.

      As we became friends she told us about her many years of trying situations and multiple foster homes only to be defeated by the system every time she finds comfort and happiness. This defeat is attempting to happen again and we are trying to help in any way possible to keep her on a positive path.

      We are hosting our Holiday Party on December 12th for Mojo's Music Academy and creating a fundraiser "Secret Santa" for Jackie – "The Jackie Freedom Fund" with intent to raise money for her own personal expenses and future education.

      Please come to the Party and show your support in whatever way you seem appropriate.

      Even just all our energies coming together making music, will be an honest gift. Hope to see you on the 12th!

      Thanks
      Paul & Jessica Rogalski

      www.mojosmusicacademy.com

      Biz: 303-776-3373

      * * * * *

      COMBO MUSIC EXPO!!!

      Put this date on your calendar NOW: Sunday, April 18, 2010. We’re going to be holding an exposition at Red & Jerry’s, Oxford and Santa Fe, from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Look for more info coming soon. We are looking for “vendors” – if you or someone you know might be interested, have them send us a message to info@.... We have a limited number of spaces available so first come, first served!

      * * * * *

      The Swallow Hill Music Organization always has lots going on. Check out their website at www.swallowhillmusic.org for concerts, festivals, band camps, and more!

      * * * * *

      DOCUMENTARY ON LES PAUL

      For those who wish to know more about Les' pioneering contributions to the art of multitrack recording, both Everett Moran and Laurie Dameron highly recommended the new documentary, "Chasing Sound!" www. lespaul film.com/.

      * * * * *

      CHANGES AT CERVANTES & QUIXOTE’S

      Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom and Quixote’s True Blue are going through some positive changes. Scott Morrill will continue to be a co-owner and will now be joined by Fully Tuned Productions who have partnered on the new venture.

      Fully Tuned consists of Duncan Goodman, Joshua Sonnenberg, and Jeff Howell. The new collective of owners are excited to bring out the venues full potential and have already started major improvements including a new stage and will be adding top of the line sound systems and new bathrooms, scheduled for the Grand Re-Opening, in January.

      www.cervantesmasterpiece.comCervantes Masterpiece • 2637 Welton Street • Denver • CO • 80205

      * * * * *

      MOVIE FOR NOVEMBER: THAT THING YOU DO

      Our suggested movies will be ones that involve the business of making music – not the “song & dance” movies. All movies will teach you something about the music business.

      If you haven’t seen it yet, get a copy of “That Thing You Do”. Great for the whole family! Written & directed by and starring Tom Hanks (who also had a hand in co-writing some of the songs), the movie is about a band from “Erie, Pennsylvania” who quite accidently hits it big with one song – the one-hit “Wonders”. Lots of info on the behind-the-scenes of the music business as well as being fun to watch with some real catchy tunes. Also starring Liv Tyler in one of her first roles. Who better than the daughter of real life musician Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)!

      * * * * *

      BOOK FOR NOVEMBER:

      They Fought The Law written by Colorado resident Stan Soocher, © 1999, Schirmer Books, 1633 Broadway, New York, NY 10019. This book summarizes many legal cases such as the lawsuit against Two Live Crew regarding their freedom of speech on their record.

      Don’t forget: Even if you don’t have the money to buy or rent a DVD or a book, there is always the library. Yes, they still exist... And aren’t we lucky that they do? Third world countries do not have this privilege – enjoy it while you can.

      * * * * *

      COMBO OFFICE HOURS:

      Mark King has been holding regular office hours for COMBO on Thursdays from 5:30-7:30 p.m. If you have something you’d like to discuss in reference to COMBO, any suggestions for programs, or have a music business question you’d like to have answered, please call us at 720-570-2280 or come by! Call first to make sure someone is there and/or will be available to open the security gate.

      * * * * *

      COMBO’s website is www.coloradomusic.org. There is a lot of information there that will benefit you. Sign up as a friend on our satellite websites: www.myspace.com/coloradomusic and (only if you’re a Colorado artist) www.myspace.com/coloradobandsonly. We’d LOVE to have you as a *friend*!

      * * * * *

      NEW MOVIE??

      That “Pirate Radio” looks like a of fun & games in the music business (based on a true story!)

      * * * * *

      COUPLE OF INTERESTING WEBSITES FOR YOU...

      Looking for band members? Try www.bandmix.com

      Looking for suggestions on a problem in your band? Try www.musicthinktank.com (A blog site)