2009 Harmony Sweepstakes @ Auroria Campus in Denver

  • Roland Sharette
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2009
      Most of you received this notification yesterday, but I'm sending it along again with a few minor corrections and responses to a couple of inquiries. Please refer to the enclosed pdf instead of the one sent yesterday.

      Yes, there is a full weekend of activities scheduled beginning Friday, March 20 at 5pm with the competing groups' reception, to which all of you are invited (the groups themselves will be the guests of honor), but there will be no admission charge (location to be determined). On Saturday, March 21, the participants have a day full of prep and warm-ups before the 7pm Sweeps, with a gala Afterglow following the event at a pub just across the street. Sunday, March 22, we hope to present a Vocal Group Skills Workshop in the afternoon with amazing hosts and talent, while in the evening, we'll feature a "Champion's Gala" with the 2009 Rocky Mountain Winner as host and many other groups participating; this will be held at a downtown Denver club known for its vocal music presentations. All of the competing groups will be guests at these activities, so plan on an entire weekend of vocal music highlighting the Denver scene. It will be a celebration not to be missed.

      A couple of modest corrections have been made to the enclosed pdf -- nothing serious -- but we wanted it to be as complete and accurate as possible.

      In response to an early inquiry, a modestly priced hotel will be contracted to save costs for groups and audience coming from outside the denver area; more information about that will be sent in a few days.

      Please correct any address (email or otherwise) information we may be carrying. Hard copy information is available for those of you who wish to receive mailing rather than pdf information. Just let me know at the address below. Bus and interurban rail transport are available to downtown Denver from most anywhere along the Front Range and beyond, with terminals close by the Auraria Campus. Inexpensive shuttle transport to the Denver International Airport is also available within blocks of the King Center and the proposed hotel accommodation.

      Judges have not yet been assigned for the Sweeps themselves, but a trio of skilled vocal pros are already awaiting group registration forms to select the 6 to 8 vocal groups who will compete on March 21.

      Here is yesterday's announcemenmt for those who may have been overlooked (with a few minor corrections). The final version of the guifelines, rules and entry form are in the attached pdf (also available by mail at your request):

      THE BIG NEWS!

      The 20th Anniversary Rocky Mountain Harmony Sweepstakes will be held Saturday, March 21 at a brand new venue! -- the classiest and most appropriate imaginable for this celebration of vocal harmony skills -- and right in downtown Denver on the Auroria Campus, close by the Pepsi Center.

      The KING CENTER, known for its elegance and its superlative acoustics, will host up to eight of only the best and most accomplished vocal ensembles from across the broad western landscape of our country in a competition to select the group that will represent us in the National Championships of vocal hamony in the San Francisco Bay area on this coming May 16. Participant details and more complete information will be forthcoming shortly right here on our Colorado-A Cappella message board, as well as in newspapers and websites across the western United States. But we would ask that groups who have been considering Sweeps participation act on your plans (RMHS auditions will be completed by January 31 and final competitors announced Monday, February 2) by completing the enclosed entry form and mailing it to arrive no later than January 28, 2009, enclosing your $10 per member participation fee.

      Please note that the King Center has a somewhat smaller capacity than Ranum Auditorium and, at 520 seats, will no doubt sell out in advance sales; ticket prices will remain in the $10-$20 range and purchase options will be announced in a few days. Meanwhile, among those groups who have expressed the desire to sing here in Colorado, please send in your forms quickly so your opportunity to participate will not be lost.

      Download the attached pdf for detailed information and call me directly with any questions. Let's make this 20th Anniversary one of the best Sweeps ever!

      Share your questions on the colorado-acappella message board and you'll get prompt response.

      Rol Sharette
      RMHS Exec Producer
      program director, CVJS
      Colorado Vocal Jazz Society