Mark Murphy, Jazz Singer!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2008
      Hey, you singers!

      There's a vocalist coming to Denver this weekend that I know from long ago and have enjoyed collecting his albums and listening to him for xxlc years<g>.

      Thought some of you solo stylists out there might like to catch him. He's going to be at Dazzle Saturday evening and will shake the place up, I'm sure.

      Saturday, May 24th, 7 & 9pm : Dazzle is proud to present a vocal jazz legend most noted for his definitive and unique vocalese and vocal improvisations with both melody and lyrics. He is the recipient of the 1996, 1997, 2000, and 2001 Down Beat magazine readers jazz poll for Best Male Vocalist of the Year and is also the recipient of six Grammy award nominations for Best Vocal Jazz Performance. He is also famous for his original lyrics to the jazz classics Stolen Moments and Red Clay. Beginning in 1956 with his first album (of about 5 dozen), "Meet Mark Murphy", his latest release, "Love Is What Stays" (2007), continues the music and singing legend that is Mark Murphy.  He'll be performing with Ken Walker on Bass, Jeff Jenkins on Piano, and Paul
      Romaine (cool!) on Drums : $25 door; $20r students.

      Here's Mark's bio for more info. He comes highly recommended and you should hear his son!

      Recipient of seven Grammy nominations for best jazz vocal performance, Mark Murphy is one of the world's best jazz vocalists performing today. During his prolific 40-year recording career, Murphy has acquired a fan base that ranges from vocal great Peggy Lee to composer Alec Wilder to legendary Ella Fitzgerald, who once declared "he is my equal." It was Sammy Davis, Jr. who first discovered the young Mark Murphy in 1953 at a jam session in Syracuse, New York, Murphy's hometown. Impressed with his talent, Davis invited him to his show that night and ultimately was responsible for getting him on the Tonight Show with Steve Allen. Murphy recorded a hit rendition of Allen's song, "This Could Be the Start of Something Big," in 1959. In the early '60s, Murphy hit the charts again with his single of "Fly Me To the Moon" and was voted "New Star of the Year" in Downbeat Magazine's Reader's Poll. He also spent several years in London, working clubs and building an audience throughout Europe. By the 70's, he was recording an average of an album a year with the Muse label, where he produced some of his finest work including the Nat King Cole Songbook Vol. I and II. Murphy's talent by the '80's was widely known and critically acclaimed, resulting in numerous Grammy nominations. In recent years, he has written, sung and rapped songs with some of the industry's finest and continues to tour internationally. Quite clearly, Mark Murphy's jazz is timeless, and he transcends generations. As Liza Minelli once stated about his appeal, "There's a party goin' on in Mark's head, and I want to go to it!"

      Rol Sharette
      Boulder, Colorado
      303 413 8774 (Colo)
      888 949 2857 (US)