THE SWEEPS WERE SWEPT!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2008
      GREETINGS A CAPPELLA FANS!

      This is our official 2008 Harmony Sweepstakes Report, updating you on what happened last Saturday evening at Ranum Auditorium in Denver.

      AND THE 2008 WINNERS ARE:
      GROUP AWARDS
      Rocky Mountain Champion — Legacy, Lubbock TX
      Rocky Mountain Runner Up — NeXus, Denver, CO
      Rocky Mountain Audience Favorite — Plumbers of Rome, Longmont CO
      Rocky Mountain Best Stage Presentation — Plumbers of Rome, Longmont CO

      INDIVIDUAL AWARDS
      Deke Sharon Best Arrangement — Ike Graul for "Here With Us", Legacy
      Jeff Harris Best Original Song — Phil Thompson for "The Egotist", Curious Gage
      Jerry Lawson Best Soloist — Jake Lierman for "Here With Us", Legacy
      Wes Carroll Best Vocal Percussion — Nick Gaultney for "This Little Light", Legacy

      As you can see, "Legacy", from the state of Texas, took half of the awards offered (hence the "swept" comment above). The group, a gospel styled quintet (their photo will be updated), not only excelled in individual talent, but performed especially well in ensemble, with strong harmonies and excellent blend. The judges recognized these attributes very quickly. The other half of our awards also went to some very talented singers and groups.

      Not-so-traditional barbershop quartet, "NeXus" was Runner-Up making exceptionally beautiful sounds and were also very entertaining to watch. Most provocative and innovative was no doubt the trio "Plumbers of Rome" in their third Rocky Mountain appearance in as many years, taking both Best Stage Presentation and Audience Favorite awards.

      Phil Thompson of Curious Gage (Champions two years ago) took the Best Song award, while Legacy singers Ike Graul, Jake Lierman and Nick Gaultney zeroed in on Best Arrangement, Best Soloist and Best Vocal Percussion respectively.

      Overall, as I believe audience members will attest, it was a talented and energetic roster of performers who had worked very hard to provide entertaining and innovative programs. If you were there, you will understand what I'm talking about.

      For contact with any of the groups, please go to www.cvjs.org which reports the above information and background for each group.

      The Sweeps program also provided the opportunity for CVJS to present its service to the community award called "A Cappella Impact."

      Tim Jones, former Utah CASA Ambassador and founder of moosebutter, who has been attending University of Colorado in Boulder in pursuit of his Masters degree, was the recipient. Tim has been hugely active in every aspect of Colorado a cappella during his stay here, but has now migrated to Las Vegas to perform with nationally known Toxic Audio and assist with production of their ongoing show at Planet Hollywood. Our best wishes to Tim.

      And here our our 2008 Rocky Mountain Champions,
      LEGACY

      . . and many thanks to our 2007 Champs, f a c e
      for a year of excitement and accomplishment.

      Presented by the Colorado Vocal Jazz Society; Debra Faber, producer

      Rol Sharette
      program director, CVJS
      Colorado Vocal Jazz Society
      www.cvjs.org