Groups Unable to Meet Commitment to Harmony Sweepsakes

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2008
      Please Note:

      In the current sponsor's first experience with auditioned groups having to cancel their commitment to perform at the annual Rocky Mountain Harmony Sweepstakes, Debbie Faber, producer, has released the following information: "After extensive discussion with the group directors, I must announce today that both Groove Society (Rocky  Mountain Champion in 2003) and Vocality (2007 Runner Up), have indicated that, due to unforseen circumstances, they have had to withdraw from our 2008 competition."

      Both of these groups -- and five others -- were selected from a field of 13 auditionees earlier this year to represent what the 8-person audition panel felt would be a very strong field of seven competing groups for 2008. The panel members were sorry to have to turn away other groups whom they felt were not quite ready for the prestigious event which represents the finest a cappella group performers in our large geographical area.

      Ms. Faber has limited options to call upon in adjusting the slate of competing groups, but has invited one of the original 13 groups, Plumbers of Rome, a 2006 competitor, who had conditionally applied for the Denver competition, to fill one of the vacated positions. We are pleased to announce that this group, an unusually eclectic and humorous trio of experienced performers, has agreed to participate, resulting in a field of six competing groups for the March 15 program.

      Our Host Group, 2007 Rocky Mountain Champs and National Runners-Up, face , wildly popular men's sextet from Boulder, will be on hand to entertain our audience also, with a special set of newly polished material presented in their most recent Las Vegas appearance. Members of face will introduce each of the groups and will provide a short musical program while the judges are selecting the seven individual and group awards to be presented at the finale.

      This situation is unprecedented in recent experience, but 'showbiz' history is famous for its resilience, best recognized in the familiar expression, "The show must go on!"  The sponsor and producers assure you that the quality program our audience is expecting will be presented for its always enthusiastic reception next Saturday evening at Ranum Auditorium.

      Rol Sharette
      program director, CVJS
      Colorado Vocal Jazz Society
      www.cvjs.org