A Cappella EnVie succumbs

  • rjsharette@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2002
      Hello Colorado singers,

      By now some of you have heard that EnVie effectively went out of business after last Monday evening's stellar show. I learned of their problem the previous day when I returned from Arizona and spoke with owner Michael Daigle. He was very forthcoming and asked that we go ahead with January 14 as a "great way to close the house." And it was.

      I hold no grudge against EnVie or the owner. Mike was served with an eviction notice on January 11 to be effective on the third day. He could have closed down Sunday night, but chose to hang in until Monday so we could have our show. He had been frank in saying for weeks that they were on tenterhooks and had taken several actions to increase efficiency and cut costs -- all to no avail. He had said he wasn't sure how long they could stay open, which is one reason we did not schedule shows after March (March came a little early this year). <g>

      I'm sorry for the inconvenience this will have caused the five great groups who will not get to perform at EnVie. All that have sung there have agreed the venue was almost perfect for our kind of thing. Michael will survive; he retains a legal position he has held with Quizno's Corporate Headquarters and will undoubtedly pursue his dream in another place at another time.

      What will happen to our (your) A Cappella series?
      Well, I have worked all week to try to find a solution for our series venue, but it's not coming together. Places that will hire or provide space for bands simply aren't interested in a cappella. It's really a shame. They don't know what they're missing. We had more than 100 at EnVie for the two January 14 shows and they were both very well received. Quite frustrating after all the work to get it set up. We tried very hard to make it still happen at Boulder's Trilogy, but they just couldn't get excited about it. I already had new flyers designed: "A CAPPELLOGY" <g> Oh well, maybe next time!

      CVJS wants to formally apologize for not being able to follow through with this project. We think it would have been one of the most exciting a cappella events in the area ever! We would still like to see a similar activity happen in the future -- in Boulder or elsewhere. There are a couple of places in the Metro area that provide a cappella evenings, but they're few and far between and usually bring in the same groups every month or so. Nothing wrong with that (good for them!), but there's such a wealth of groups that should be heard, it's disappointing not to see a variety series somewhere.

      Once more, thanks to a remarkably versatile and dynamic group for making our opening such a musical and popular success and possibly giving us a finale that couldn't have been more exciting. Three cheers (hell, 50) to STORM FRONT: Dave Ellis, Jim Clark, Syd Lisback and Darin Drown, for giving the January 14 crowd a super taste of what "neo-Barbershop" (<g>) can be.

      We will be concentrating now on our March 5 King'singers pre-show, concert and afterglow, originally also scheduled for EnVie, but we'll be able to find a venue for that, I'm sure. Meanwhile, we're already seeing a good number of ticket orders and reservations, so get on the list for some of our great discount packages before it's too late. The university only has limited space for this event and will only provide us 50 tickets of which a third are already committed. It WILL be sold out.

      Keep the faith. A Cappella will overcome!

      Rol Sharette
      program director, CVJS
      Colorado Vocal Jazz Society
      Colorado ambassador, CASA
      Contemporary A Cappella Society
    • Kathleen Chiras
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2002
        Does anyone here know contact information for the director of the
        highschool group, Raging Harmonies?

        Thanks,
        Kathleen A. Chiras
        President, SkyFor, Inc.
        kc@...
        303-679-1819, Fax 303-670-4187
        "Empowerment through systems of high integrity & technology"
        SmartHomeSearch.org
        7652 Gartner Rd. Ste. 230
        Evergreen, CO 80439-5204
        http://www.SkyForInc.com
      • rjsharette@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2002
          Hello Kathleen,

          You wrote: <<
          Does anyone here know contact information for the director of the
          highschool group, Raging Harmonies? >>

          By now, Lois Petersen has probably read your message on the board, but just in case:

          Raging Harmonies
          Westminster High School
          8095 Julian Street
          Westminster, CO 80031
          303-427-1749
          loisfpetersen@...

          Aren't those kids great? I've been waiting to find out if they are doing the Harmony Sweeps again this year.

          Good luck.