A Cappella EnVie

  • rjsharette@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
      Happy New Year Colorado A Cappellists (Acappellans?, Acappellers?)!

      We're off to a great start this year with lots of a cappella things happening (check the calendar listing in your copy of the Winter Colorado Songster, in the mail this week), but none more gratifying than the new try-it-out a cappella series in Boulder at the EnVie Music Cafe. Here's a schedule of the first line-up. We have 3-4 groups already interested in a spring series if this works out well. Why don't you make it a point to stop by and catch one or more of these programs? In fact, those of you in other parts of the state may want to work out a similar arrangement at a likely bistro in your neighborhood. See below:

      The A CAPPELLA ENVIE Schedule!
      Some of Colorado's most popular vocal bands are invading Boulder this winter. Many of these groups perform mainly for private parties and are not generally available to the public. But Pearl Street's A Cappella EnVie, at the EnVie Music Café (Pearl Street at 18th) with competitive prices and no cover, excellent sight lines and acoustics, should prove a unique opportunity to sample what's out there. Shows are every other Monday at 8:30 and 10pm. Here are dates!

      January 14:  STORM FRONT!
      Powerhouse barbershop by an award-winning quartet that will knock your Birkenstocks off. You haven't heard singing like this since "Music Man." Expect to be happy all night. Don't be late!

      January 28: DENVER A CAPPELLA PROJECT!
      Relationships among DAP members read like characters in the "Royal Tenenbaums", but their eclectic blend of harmony and skill will leave you wondering how they do it. This is a class act. Come and see for yourself!

      February 11: LODO AIR BAND!
      One of the best known vocal bands around and consistent award-winner in the Denver Regional Harmony Sweepstakes. They always leave you wanting more. You'll want to hunker down for two shows.

      February 25: EXTREME MEASURES!
      Boulder's own college mixed ensemble that has won several competitions and remains the cream of contemporary a cappella among the younger groups on many campuses. They are so good. Don't miss them!

      March 11: NEW WIZARD OIL COMBINATION!
      This 30-year old 16 voice men's vocal jazz-and-other group has been there--done that for longer than most groups can count, and still wows their fans. Be there!

      March 25: DeCANTORS!
      Is this really Boulder's oldest doo-wop group? Formed in 1988, they competed in the first Denver Harmony Sweeps, at which they came in last. The next year they rehearsed and did much better. Elvis has been sighted with them. Not to be missed!

      Is your group interested in grabbing a date at EnVie April -June? Let us know so we can put it together.

      Want to try this in the Springs? or Fort Collins? Surely be big stuff in Greeley! How about South Denver or Durango or Grand Junction? If you need to know details of how it's set up in Boulder and how it's working in other parts of the country, drop me an email and I'll try to help.

      Meanwhile, come to EnVie and see!

      Rol Sharette
      program director, CVJS
      Colorado Vocal Jazz Society