gold leaf and adhesives

  • onebobbleheadwon
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      I use a layer of gesso to apply gold leaf to my calligraphed work.
      One reason for using gesso rather than other adhesives is you can
      burnish the gold, which really gives it the characteristic lustre,
      in addition to the gold colour. This link will take you to a site
      that does a good job explaining the how to's of both flat and raised
      gold applications. http://www.currys.com/knowledge/gilding.asp.
      Also in response to what adhesive Eric Carle uses for his collage,
      it is important to remember that he works with tissue paper which is
      very different from some of the heavier papers and other materials
      we may be using in our collages. An extremely thin amount of any
      adhesive - I sometimes think spit would do - will keep tissue in
      place. He paints his, perhaps, with non-water soluble (at least
      when dry) paints, as normal tissue bleeds whan wet which can produce
      lovely results. I have used tissue collage techniques to make
      Lanterns out of two litre plastic soft drink bottles. I will try to
      upload a photo of one of them.