Re: [collage] Re: juried art shows and slides

  • Gretchen@nationalcollage.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
      "Publish or Perish" is the same old adage that haunts college professors and when they are in the Art Department, they must build up a resume of shows and awards outside of the ivory tower. We have many such professors involved in our Annual Juried Exhibit and it serves them well.
      Gretchen
      www.nationalcollage.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
        .........Maybe this is off the subject of whether or not juried shows are
        good to enter ...........but some professor's work is not all that
        great........if it's juried, then let them take their chances on getting in
        or not.
        Cheryl

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > >

        > > The International Museum of Collage, Assemblage and Construction
        > > http://www.collagemuseum.com/
        > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        > > Freshdot Domain Name Registrations
        > > transfers $7.75 for .com, .net and .org -
        > > OUR DOMAIN NAME SUPPLIER IS RUNNING A SALE
        > > $5.95yr. FOR .BIZ AND .US THROUGH MARCH, 03!!!!
        > > Freshdot.com Web Hosting Service
        > > Host 10 domains on one account for $12.95mo (USD)
        > > http://web-hosting.freshdot.com/
        > >

        > > The International Museum of Collage, Assemblage and Construction
        > > http://www.collagemuseum.com/
        > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        > > Freshdot Domain Name Registrations
        > > transfers $7.75 for .com, .net and .org -
        > > OUR DOMAIN NAME SUPPLIER IS RUNNING A SALE
        > > $5.95yr. FOR .BIZ AND .US THROUGH MARCH, 03!!!!
        > > Freshdot.com Web Hosting Service
        > > Host 10 domains on one account for $12.95mo (USD)
        > > http://web-hosting.freshdot.com/
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > The International Museum of Collage, Assemblage and Construction
        > http://www.collagemuseum.com/
        > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        > Freshdot Domain Name Registrations
        > transfers $7.75 for .com, .net and .org -
        > OUR DOMAIN NAME SUPPLIER IS RUNNING A SALE
        > $5.95yr. FOR .BIZ AND .US THROUGH MARCH, 03!!!!
        > Freshdot.com Web Hosting Service
        > Host 10 domains on one account for $12.95mo (USD)
        > http://web-hosting.freshdot.com/

      • Head Clausnitzer
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003

          Gretchen@... wrote:

          > "Publish or Perish" is the same old adage that haunts college professors and
          > when they are in the Art Department, they must build up a resume of shows and
          > awards outside of the ivory tower. We have many such professors involved in
          > our Annual Juried Exhibit and it serves them well.
          > Gretchen
          > www.nationalcollage.com

          >>> Gretchen

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
            No, not off subject. By the way, let's let them eat cake besides.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2003
              The professors understand the workings of an art foundation and have never minded the expense for such a worthwhile cause. They do not "crawl", but leap into our "outfit" and prove to be quite successful in contemporary collage competition. They consider it participation and not really competition.
              www.nationalcollage.com

              Gretchen@... wrote:

              > "Publish or Perish" is the same old adage that haunts college professors and
              > when they are in the Art Department, they must build up a resume of shows and
              > awards outside of the ivory tower. We have many such professors involved in
              > our Annual Juried Exhibit and it serves them well.
              > Gretchen
              > www.nationalcollage.com

              >>> Gretchen

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
                It's okay to be an "OLD snoot nose" and it's okay to be an iconoclast.
                Arguments are fun if they produce enlightenment and show a tendency
                toward resolution, or if they're just bitchy but clever. This
                discussion just isn't interesting.

                For anyone who isn't sure what entering a competition or juried
                exhibition will do for an art career, the answer is try it and see
                what happens.

                Del
              • dawnamatolit <dawnamatolit@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
                  Gretchen

                  Since you are involved with the National Collage Society, I have a
                  question about the postcard competition. Is the title; "Wish You
                  Were Here" supposed to be the over all theme in any work submited?
                  I have some work that I have to choose betweeen and some of the
                  pieces fit this 'theme' better then others (although the one I like
                  the best for submission doesn't!).

                  Dawn Amato

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
                    Dawn - No, it is not a theme show. The chairman of the show selected the title and we continue to use it because it relates to the postcard size of the collages.