Bakers Dozen IV

  • blindeyedesign
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
      Greetings all!

      Now I don't post all that often (shy and retiring type that I am) but
      have you seen what is on desplay for the Baker's Dozen this year???
      How can I stay quiet?!?

      That is without a doubt one of the best collection of collage works I
      have ever seen! (well, my one is probably bringing the property value
      down a little - but what can you do, right?)

      Every single one of you who lobbed some work Dale's way please stand
      up. I have some thunderous applause to send your way! And Dale...
      above and beyond the call yet again!

      Good work kids!

      j.
    • ragdollpoet@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
        The 4th Annual Baker's Dozen looks great! A million thanks to Dale for doing
        all the work involved in hosting this event. I'm really looking forward to
        getting my packet of collages so I can see first hand some of the wonderful
        work out there.

        Again, a huge THANK YOU to Dale for all of her work on this!

        :)
        K. Lee (RagdollPoet)
      • scarletcrimsonuk
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
          Don't it make yer feel proud!

          thanks Dale

          --- In collage@y..., ragdollpoet@a... wrote:
          > The 4th Annual Baker's Dozen looks great! A million thanks to Dale
          for doing
          > all the work involved in hosting this event. I'm really looking
          forward to
          > getting my packet of collages so I can see first hand some of the
          wonderful
          > work out there.
          >
          > Again, a huge THANK YOU to Dale for all of her work on this!
          >
          > :)
          > K. Lee (RagdollPoet)
        • dale copeland
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
            Gee shucks.
            dale

            scarletcrimsonuk wrote:

            > Don't it make yer feel proud!
            >
            > thanks Dale

            Dale Copeland
            Virtual TART http://virtual.tart.co.nz
            outofsight http://outofsight.co.nz/Dale
            and http://govettbrewster.co.nz
          • audley sue
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
              Thanks Cathy, Sue, Cecil, Dale etc. for the great
              advice, info. and Bakers Dozen IV. What can you guys
              suggest for archival adhesives and rigid substrates? I
              do mixed media on w/colour paper, glued to card/mat
              and lightweight MDF boards with Acrylic medium and/or
              PVA white glue. My pieces tend to warp especially now
              in the rainy season.

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • dale copeland
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
                Glue: I also used to use PVA, acrylic medium, all that. When I was at
                the collage symposium in Bulgaria I saw the continental artists using
                those gluestick things, that I thought were just for kids' homework.
                And the effect was terrific! Clean, flat, no warping. I'm converted.
                For paper-on-paper anyway. As soon as you get to 3D mixed media work
                it's back to screws & bolts & wires coz there doesn't seem to be any
                glue that's REALLY reliable in all conditions.
                dale
                --
              • jacisull@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4, 2002
                  Be sure to coat BOTH sides of your substrate with the glue or medium. This
                  helps to even out the absorption of moisture and helps to prevent some
                  warping!

                  If you use a glue stick make sure to burnish it down well with a bone folder
                  or it won't stay. I sitll don't like them - I think that they dry out and the
                  bond releases - I use my xyron for paper to paper - or else gel medium - very
                  thin and very dry. Varnish both sides and all edges when done. If it still
                  warps build a wooden support for the back and I sew it on!

                  Jacqueline
                • audley sue
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2002
                    Thanks guys, I am listening. Jacqueline, what do you
                    vanish with? and can you elaborate on "sew it down"?
                    Audley.

                    http://sbc.yahoo.com
                  • jacisull@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2002
                      I varnish with Golden Varnish - it has a UV factor which protects your
                      collage - comes in Satin, gloss or mat. Dries harder than medium. I apply
                      with slowly with a sponge brush to minimize brush marks. Some people put it
                      in a spray and spray it on.

                      I have actually sewn through my collage (Uder a layer of something so it
                      doesn't show) and through the foam core or cardboard substrate and onto a
                      wooden frame. I poke holes in the foam core, etc. with an awl and sew with
                      invisble nylon thread. This holds it well. If it feels like it is going to
                      rip through something I sew in a button to help hold it. The button keeps
                      the stitches from ripping the foam core.

                      I've only had to do this a couple of times but it does work.
                      Jacqueline