Hello

  • Radrrrrr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 5, 2002
      I am just beginning to do collages using hand made imported papers. I am
      very excited. Thank you in Portland, Oregon

    • chelsea brown
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 15, 2002
        Greetings!

        I am the luckiest person right now! I had no idea that there is a world out there that appreciates collage artwork, as I have for as long as I remember. I look forward to searching through and enjoying all the collage artowrk that's out there, and maybe even someday sharing some of mine with the world.

        This may sound silly, but thank you for existing. I thought the only place I would ever show my work was to my family. Thank you Thank you!

        Chelsea B-(S.L.C., UT)

      • dale copeland
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 15, 2002
          Chelsea, your message is a delight. Not often I get thanked for
          existing. I know how you feel ... the first time I discovered that I
          was not alone in what I do, the world suddenly became a happier place.
          dale in New Zealand

          --
          Dale Copeland
          Virtual TART http://virtual.tart.co.nz
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 16, 2002
            Greeting Chelsea and all other new members!
            Glad to have you here. Feel free to upload an image, a link etc. to that
            part of the group's yahoo homepage. Be sure to visit the museum.
            Cecil Touchon, Director
            The International Museum of Collage, Assemblage and Construcion
            http://collagemuseum.com/
            personal homepage: http://touchon.com/

            chelsea brown wrote:

            >Greetings!
            >
            >I am the luckiest person right now! I had no idea that there is a world out there that appreciates collage artwork, as I have for as long as I remember. I look forward to searching through and enjoying all the collage artowrk that's out there, and maybe even someday sharing some of mine with the world.
            >
            >This may sound silly, but thank you for existing. I thought the only place I would ever show my work was to my family. Thank you Thank you!
            >
            >Chelsea B-(S.L.C., UT)

            >Stop by the Museum Bookstore http://ontologicalmuseum.org/bookgiftshop/
            >The International Museum of Collage, Assemblage and Construction
            >http://www.ontologicalmuseum.org/museum/collage/
            >is sponsored by the International Post-Dogmatist Group
            >http://www.postdogmatist.com/
            >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS GROUP SEND A BLANK EMAIL TO:

          • Zilla_D
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 10, 2002
              Are digital collages accepted here?

              Zilla D
            • natireson
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2009
                this is my video collage with a four year old recording of my good friend playing guitar threw an effects processor clips and image's
                check it out Tell me what you think i enjoy criticism good or bad

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c7habbEGOU
              • cecil touchon
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
                  Really cool collage video! Love it.
                  cecil

                  --- In collage@yahoogroups.com, "natireson" <natireson@...> wrote:

                  > this is my video collage with a four year old recording of my good friend playing guitar threw an effects processor clips and image's
                  > check it out Tell me what you think i enjoy criticism good or bad
                  >
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c7habbEGOU

                • Save Water In Powai
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 14, 2010
                    Dear all,

                    I am looking for some advice on how to make digital copies of my collages.

                    I have tried making photographs (with a 3.2MP Nikon) and not successfully.  I use magazine paper for my collages. So to eliminate the glare  I have tried without flash and also before varnishing. Still not working well. I have tried taking photos without the flash but this gives a slightly blurred result.  My main grouse is that the colours look faded when I view it on the screen.  I have taken pictures on sunny afternoons (indoors) and also under whatever lights I have at home.  Cant seem to get good bright pictures.

                    However, when I look at pictures posted here - the colours appear so vibrant so it is not my monitor that makes the colours appear dull.  Also it is not easy to get all the edges in even for an artwork size 2'x3'.

                    Next I tried using my HP scanner for artwork that fits this size. This gives a much better result than using the camera but again the colours are not true to the original. For eg Something coloured ultramarine blue has a warm pink tinge (when viewed on screen) . I have kept the factory settings for the scanner and everything is at the normal range and colours chosen are "millions of colours".  So dont know what is causing this.

                    I have tried improving whatever results I got with Adobe Photoshop. Still not close quality wise to any of the collages posted here or on people's websites.   I will be thankful for any suggestions that can help me take better pictures of my collages.

                    Thank you

                    Vijaya

                  • Janine Nichols
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 21, 2010
                      I have the same problems you describe. I look forward to the group wisdom on
                      this.
                      J a n i n e

                      www.flutterbox.net
                      www.semi-free.com
                      www.jazzpaperscissors.blogspot.com

                    • Kathryn Sorci
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 21, 2010
                        To Janine and Vijaya,
                        Photographing art is very difficult unless one knows what they are
                        doing. I have had the same troubles you've been writing about. So...I
                        don't know how much help I can be. It's so expensive having a
                        professional do it, but I thought I might go that route soon. Here's
                        a website that might help:
                        http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/cjgartwork.htm
                        I live in the desert Southwest and have been doing magazine collages
                        for 15 + years. Mine are 30" x40", some half that size. I got some
                        really great shots years back with my Pentax 35mm no flash and North
                        morning light indoors.
                        I have a miserable time with my Nikon digital. I have found putting
                        it on a tripod works better and I bought an automatic "doo hickee"
                        called a "remote release", so I don't have to touch the camera when
                        clicking a pic. The tiniest jiggle can ruin a great set up.
                        That said, I set up in the garage with the collage flat to the wall.
                        My collages are very glossy, and I'll tell you, it's a job getting a
                        good picture. I nailed an old easel to the wall to keep it flat, hung
                        a black cloth in back of the art. My friend and I made two large
                        light boxes from foam core board with holes for a light bulb in each.
                        But you can easily purchase two aluminum work lights with grippers at
                        the hardware store. You'll need stands for them though or something
                        on each side to clip them to. The lights must be at about a 45 degree
                        angle to the artwork to cancel out the glare. If this doesn't work
                        you can filter the light by hanging a white cotton sheet in front of
                        the lights, but the lights get hot and you don't want a fire so
                        unplug frequently. That's why I use the LEDs. I would get 500 watt
                        (White light) bulbs specifically for artwork (photographing store can
                        tell you) or better yet a couple of powerful LEDs.
                        I then photographed in a completely darkened garage. No hint of
                        light.I still got a slight reflection on some.
                        My photographer friends told me to set the white balance on the
                        camera first thing. Hold a piece of white paper in front of the art
                        and set the camera 'balance' to that. A bit complicated, but it's in
                        your Nikon book. (I never wanted to be a professional photograher!)
                        and it is infuriating.
                        Also, the aperture-
                        I set 'A' on the dial for APERTURE PRIORITY. Remember that you want
                        a small aperture for greater depth of field on the focus. I used F22
                        and that should make sure that the art is in focus. (I don't really
                        know- this is what I was told for my larger collages and it seemed to
                        work). Although I made sure the entire picture was in the frame.

                        Look in the NIKON manual that came with your camera and it explains
                        the 'A' setting. Once you have it set to Aperture Priority you may
                        need to adjust the exposure (exposure compensation). Look in the book
                        and it will explain how to get more light by changing the shutter
                        speed. (How much light is getting in the lens).

                        Play around with it and be sure to use the "remote" to release the
                        shutter (to take the picture), then your hand won't jiggle the
                        camera. I took pictures with several shutter speeds and apertures,
                        then on automatic and on manual. I wrote each one down so that when I
                        put them on the computer, I could see which picture was better. With
                        photoshop I was able to enhance them a bit. But remember, what your
                        monitor shows you may not be what prints out. If it was too dark, I
                        went back into photoshop and bumped it down with "curves" tool. If
                        too light, I bumped it up.

                        I noticed in your note that you said your art was 2' x 3' or is it
                        inches "? On the scanner, I have placed the art, covered it
                        completely with a larger sheet of paper or cloth and had it scan
                        pretty well, then played in photoshop again to enhance. Check the
                        website above, there are others, or find someone who knows cameras to
                        help you. Believe it or not, I've had better luck with a cheap
                        digital and a cell phone at times.
                        I'll look through my old emails where another photo friend explained
                        some other tricks and get back to you. Not sure any of this helps,
                        but maybe.
                        Kate

                        Kathryn Uster ~ Fine Art of Collage
                        http://www.ustercollage.blogspot.com/
                        http://www.acomawestcollage.com/

                        The truest greatness lies in being kind, the truest wisdom in a
                        happy mind. --Ella Wheeler Wilcox

                        On Jun 21, 2010, at 6:13 PM, Janine Nichols wrote:

                        > I have the same problems you describe. I look forward to the group
                        > wisdom on
                        > this.
                        > J a n i n e
                        >
                        > www.flutterbox.net
                        > www.semi-free.com
                        > www.jazzpaperscissors.blogspot.com

                      • cat botch
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 23, 2010
                          try a copy center colored scan you can do yourself. be sure to go through all changes in settings for graphic or photo. you may need to try a few.
                          copies will never be exact but you can achieve good quality and color.
                          good luck!
                          cat

                          http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/c/catbotch
                          http://www.flashpointcreativity.com
                          http://www,blueunicornstudio.com

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 24, 2010
                            Hi Cat,

                            Yes I am presently comparing quotes from scanning places that can make digital copies.  Even just getting the scans done on flatbed or drum scan machine sounds expensive. Also none of the guys I have spoken to so far give any assurance for colour sameness.  Might have to try out a few.  There are no self help places here in Mumbai (India) so have to get this done across the counter.

                            Kathryn has given some really helpful step by step instructions for photographing artwork.  Will try these also.  I never realised so much time and effort goes into getting pictures done for setting up a blog!  I respect all those patient souls who do this on a daily basis.

                            Regards

                            Vijaya

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 24, 2010
                              Hi Vijaya -

                              If your camera is not producing good color and your scanner does not have color settings that get the result you want, you could try an image editing program to touch-up the color. 'Photoshop Elements' is one good option.

                              - Stephen