Re: [collage] Getting Rid of Stickiness

  • Joy
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2001
      From: <k2kadlec@...>

      > Does anybody have a solution to get rid of the stickiness
      > caused by acrylic medium? I seal my collage work with 2-3
      > coats of acrylic medium, but there is still some stickiness.
      > I'm afraid that when I ship my work, that the paper packaging
      > will stick.
      ---------------------------------

      Hi, I've just joined this group, and am coming out of lurkdom to offer my 2c
      worth! I know some artists use Dorlands wax/paste to finish their acrylic
      works......I haven't been able to locate a source here (Sydney, Australia)
      but have successfully used an 'Artists Finishing Wax' - sorry, can't give
      you the name as the label was damaged early on - can't read it, nor
      remember! It's an American product, so should be readily available. It
      comes in a solid block in a tin. I rub the wax block over my acrylic work,
      rub well with my fingers (the warmth softens the wax which helps spread it),
      let it dry for an hour, to harden, and then buff it well with a soft cloth
      in the same way you would with furniture polish. I love it....both for
      its' 'unsticking' abilities and particularly for the lovely sheen it gives
      to collages etc. I know that when I was searching for the Dorlands I had
      several waxes to choose from at the art supply store, and suspect any of
      them would work.

      HTH
      Joy
    • lblake32@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
        thanks Joy- I will look for here in NYC Pearl Paint has almost everything!

        Lindsey
      • Kermit Kirby
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
          Others may have a better solution...I've used wax paper as a cover and
          I think that spraying fixative might work...havn't tried it yet but
          plan to since I have this problem, also.
          Barb K.
        • koolage
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
            Hi Kristine,
            Yes it will stick! After 3 coats of your acrylic medium, give it a couple of coats of Golden UV varnish (gloss or mat). It dries hard and keeps work from fading as well. It's poisonous, so follow the directions. One part varnish to 2 parts water. Mix a little at a time and you won't wate any. Coat sides too.
            Kate (-:

            k2kadlec@... wrote:

            Does anybody have a solution to get rid of the stickiness
            caused by acrylic medium?  I seal my collage work with 2-3
            coats of acrylic medium, but there is still some stickiness.
            I'm afraid that when I ship my work, that the paper packaging
            will stick.

            Any suggestions?
            Thanks.
            Kristine

            The International Museum of Collage, Assemblage and Construction
            http://www.ipdg.org/museum/collage
            is sponsored by the International Post-Dogmatist Group
            http://www.ipdg.org/
            TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS GROUP SEND A BLANK EMAIL TO: