Assemblage Materials

  • jroy@blueridgeahec.rome.ga.us
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2001
      Where do you go to find interesting materials for collages and assemblages? I
      create boxes, somewhat similar to Joseph Cornell, but mine are more "gamish"
      than dream/mythical. I think that Flea Markets are a good source for materials,
      and maybe antique stores on occasion. I personally like old bottles, old wooden
      model sets, whittled wooden objects, clay marbles, wooden/metal balls, old game
      pieces, pieces of old frames, and spools of thread. I guess what I am wondering
      is if anyone out there knows of some online resources for these type of
      materials, or if anyone knows a good place to go in Atlanta, GA. I am new to
      this list. Thanks.

      John

    • kdaga83@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2001
        John---

        Your boxes sound cool. I hope you will share some pictures of your
        boxes with us. What do you do with the thread? I was in a Salvation
        Army the other day, and I saw a LARGE bag of thread (with old spools,
        etc...) for a couple bucks. I thought about buying it, but wasn't
        sure what to do with it. And so I left it.

        Sometimes I find things in thrift shops or antique stores (but they
        tend to be overpriced in the antique shops!!!)---here's something I
        did the other day to get some "art junk"--I am on a group (which has
        nothing to do with art) and I wrote a letter to the group offering
        some free books for the cost of postage and "ART JUNK." I gave the
        group a list of my "art junk" needs, and for the price of a couple of
        books I had lying around, I am now getting THREE boxes of "art junk"
        totally free (outside of the books I am giving away)..It was so cool
        to barter. Maybe we could do that on this list? Or privately. I
        guess it is up to everyone on the list.

        I wish I would have picked up that bag of thread now. Maybe I'll go
        back and see if it is still there. Maybe we could barter. Or--maybe
        if we list our "art junk" needs and then see if we can trade with one
        another???

        Here is what I am looking for recently:

        Old sheet music
        Architectural drawings or drawings of machinery/engines, etc...
        computer circuitry---pictures or the real thing...
        art books about abstract art---dadaism---collage---etc..
        old journals, diaries, love letters, ledgers
        medical journals/magazines with pictures---or just the medical
        pictures
        Any kind of lettering objects---small game piece letters---stamps--
        printers blocks
        old newspaper articles
        unusual postcards

        If someone else would list their needs---and if they have something I
        can use, maybe we could barter. I'll see if that bag of thread is
        still there, and maybe you have something on my list, John?
        If not, maybe someone else does? OR wants to share a list of "art
        needs." FOr the price of postage, you never know what you'll get!

        I'll let the group know what my mystery boxes contain. I know that
        one poster is sending me some costume jewelry and love letters (her
        mother's---she says she has hundreds so could part with a few) and
        sheet music, and the other is sending me pencils and chalk and paint
        brushes and potpourri and paper---

        Ciao.
        Kathleen (kdaga)

        --- In collage@y..., jroy@b... wrote:
        > Where do you go to find interesting materials for collages and
        assemblages? I
        > create boxes, somewhat similar to Joseph Cornell, but mine are
        more "gamish"
        > than dream/mythical. I think that Flea Markets are a good source
        for materials,
        > and maybe antique stores on occasion. I personally like old
        bottles, old wooden
        > model sets, whittled wooden objects, clay marbles, wooden/metal
        balls, old game
        > pieces, pieces of old frames, and spools of thread. I guess what I
        am wondering
        > is if anyone out there knows of some online resources for these
        type of
        > materials, or if anyone knows a good place to go in Atlanta, GA. I
        am new to
        > this list. Thanks.
        >
        > John

        > This message was sent using Endymion MailMan.
        > http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/
      • Kermit Kirby
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2001
          Hi John,
          Like you, I collect a variety of things that catch my eye. I have a room
          so cluttered I can barely turn around and I'm constantly shifting boxes,
          etc. around to make room for working. You might try a Goodwill store or
          other thrift shop. There is a site for old magazines, etc. I don't have
          it listed but I know it's available through this group.
          Barb K.
        • Kermit Kirby
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2001
            Hi Kathleen,
            Wow....I'm all for the barter system....I have tons of stuff and
            would like to trade a lot of it. I'm just wondering about all the mailing
            costs. Maybe some of us live close enough to get together...see each
            other's books, materials, etc. As for me, I worked as an illustrator in
            advertising for years, but now I'm into collage/assemblage and don't need
            many of the books, etc. I've collected over the years.
            I live just north of LA.
            Barb. K.

            P.S. I guess we can scan some things....I have to learn how.
          • Gayle Coito
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2001

              Hi John,

              I peruse garage & yard sales, junk shops and tell all my friends and co-workers I collect "stuff" for collage/assemblage art.  It is amazing how much stuff I have been given from people cleaning out their drawers, closets etc.  I also am constantly picking up great stuff in the street!  It is a little more difficult to do the latter if you live in a small, clean town!!! I live in a city and have found that searching gutters is invaluable for finding the most interesesting trash.

              Also there is a great place where I live in Oakland, CA called The East Bay Depot for Creative Re-Use.    They have a retail store and sell donated stuff very cheap.  I don't think they have mail order, but you can check out their web site and ask them for suggestions.  Maybe they would be willing to do some kind of mailing.  I don't know.  Anyway it is www.eastbaydepot.org.  Check it out.

            • scottfree3@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 1, 2001
                great source for "art junk" is garage sales!
              • J and A
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 1, 2001
                  there is a group on yahoo called ArtsBazaar where we use the barter system a lot to trade art materials.
                  Ally

                  Check out our auctions!  Many antiques and collectibles.
                  http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/wisconsintreasures/
                  I peruse garage & yard sales, junk shops and tell all my friends and co-workers I collect "stuff" for collage/assemblage art.  It is amazing how much stuff I have been given from people cleaning out their drawers, closets etc.  I also am constantly picking up great stuff in the street!  It is a little more difficult to do the latter if you live in a small, clean town!!! I live in a city and have found that searching gutters is invaluable for finding the most interesesting trash.

                  Also there is a great place where I live in Oakland, CA called The East Bay Depot for Creative Re-Use.    They have a retail store and sell donated stuff very cheap.  I don't think they have mail order, but you can check out their web site and ask them for suggestions.  Maybe they would be willing to do some kind of mailing.  I don't know.  Anyway it is www.eastbaydepot.org.  Check it out.

                  >From: jroy@...
                  >To: collage@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [collage] Assemblage Materials
                  >Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 14:08:30 GMT
                  >
                  >Where do you go to find interesting materials for collages and assemblages? I
                  >create boxes, somewhat similar to Joseph Cornell, but mine are more "gamish"
                  >than dream/mythical. I think that Flea Markets are a good source for materials,
                  >and maybe antique stores on occasion. I personally like old bottles, old wooden
                  >model sets, whittled wooden objects, clay marbles, wooden/metal balls, old game
                  >pieces, pieces of old frames, and spools of thread. I guess what I am wondering
                  >is if anyone out there knows of some online resources for these type of
                  >materials, or if anyone knows a good place to go in Atlanta, GA. I am new to
                  >this list. Thanks.
                  >
                  >John

                  The International Museum of Collage, Assemblage and Construction
                  http://www.ipdg.org/museum/collage
                  is sponsored by the International Post-Dogmatist Group
                  http://www.ipdg.org/
                  TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS GROUP SEND A BLANK EMAIL TO:

                • Kermit Kirby
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1, 2001
                    I just checked the Trash to Treasures site......THANKS!
                    If only there were more places like this one where you
                    can enter assemblage work for prizes.
                    Barb K.
                  • Silkgypsy@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1, 2001
                      A couple of months ago I was in Atlanta and checked out Lakewood
                      Antiques/Flea Market area, but I didn't think it was a good place for finding
                      reasonably priced collage/assemblage material. I have gotten my best stuff
                      in NC, roadside antique stores with a good junk basket or two. Broken
                      things....I ask people in antique stores if they have broken bits of stuff.
                      My friends give me lots of stuff, but generally it's plastic and I have a
                      "thing" about using plastic so I toss it. I'll start saving that stuff and
                      post it if I get enough. My problem is I'm so anti-clutter, that unless I
                      luvvvvvv it, it goes right away.
                      Patsy
                    • kshohio@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2001
                        I did a web search for the words "copperplate" and "penmanship" and "spencer"
                        and I did find some documents on the web of beautiful handwriting. I saved
                        and printed these samples and I will xerox them onto different types of
                        paper, in differnet sizes. Endless possibilities!
                        You can also dye these - as well as sheet music etc. - with tea to make the
                        paper look old. Or singe the edges.
                        If necesary xerox flow charts, circuity plans, medical illutstrations at the
                        library and make them look they way you want. Often technical magazines are a
                        good source. Of course 'real' is better but sometimes you can make things.
                        Don't forget to disassemble old broken electronics like calculators,
                        telephones, adding machines, hand held games to find neat looking pieces
                        parts.
                        Kathleen (KSH)
                      • jroy@blueridgeahec.rome.ga.us
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 2, 2001
                          Kathleen,

                          I've been working on about 3 "projects" for 10 years, off and on
                          (more off then on, though). I will post some photos after I finish
                          them, which will be just a little bit longer.

                          I do have some interesting postcards about 90 years old (halloween,
                          fairy tale, germanic birthday cards, and some of cities
                          scapes /bridges). I'd be willing to trade them for something.

                          I am reborn as an artist through interacting with other artists at a
                          Jonathan albot workshop. I found out about it on the Internet, and
                          met him, and a lot of artists from the Atlanta area (any of you here
                          on this Yahoo Club?). For so long, I just felt isolated, but being a
                          part of this Club is a really big help for me.

                          I've also started to paint again, but I guess I can't talk about that
                          here, can I? Take care!

                          Cordially,
                          John

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 2, 2001
                            Hi John,
                            Sure you can talk about your painting. I think all the things we
                            discuss are helpful in allowing ourselves to grow and expand as artists.
                            And feelings are important. I, like you, felt somewhat isolated when
                            I stopped working inhouse and started doing all work in my home studio.
                            This group is an ideal place to compare techniques and materials.
                            By the way, what type of art would you be willing to trade for your
                            cards?
                            Is there still an Atlanta underground? I was there in the '70s and
                            had a great time.
                            Barb K. near LA
                          • kdaga83@hotmail.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 2, 2001
                              John:

                              I'd be interested in trading for some of your postcards. Let me look
                              around and see what I have that was on your list. Maybe that bag of
                              thread is still at the junk shop that I spotted...Do you look for any
                              particular kind of thread? I also have some children's small
                              building blocks from a marble game---would you be interested in a few
                              of those?

                              Kathleen (kdaga)

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 2, 2001
                                John,

                                I forgot to welcome you to the list. I am glad that you
                                feel "reborn."
                                Kdaga

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 3, 2001
                                  Barb K.

                                  There is still an "Atlanta Underground," but I have not been there
                                  for a couple of years.

                                  Tell you what. Give me your address, and I will send you what "Post
                                  Cards" I have. If you have an interesting wooden object or two, that
                                  would be cool. Or perhaps a couple of interesting marbles?

                                  Take care!

                                  John

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 3, 2001
                                    Kathleen,

                                    What kind of post cards do you prefer?

                                    John

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 4, 2001
                                      Hi John,
                                      That's very thoughtful of you to offer the cards. Let me see what
                                      I can come up with and then we can exchange addresses.
                                      Barb K.