To KL re: transfer problems

  • Jonathan Talbot
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2000
      Hi KL,

      I "over-read" (as opposed to "overheard") your message to Vivian
      and I am concerned that you are not having success with the materials
      I sent you.

      Please know that I will be happy to refund your money if you are not
      satisfied. At the same time, I would like to help you achieve the results
      you desire.

      In order for me to help you I will need answers to a few questions,
      one by one.

      The first question is: Are you trying to make transfers that are thick
      enough to be lift up and handled on their own or are you trying to
      make transfers that are applied face down to a surface?

      If the question is not clear please tell me and I will rephrase it.

      Thank you.

      Jonathan Talbot
      ///////////////////////////////////////////////////
      This message has been sent by Jonathan Talbot
      Visit Jonathan Talbot's Studio at
      <http://www.talbot1.com>
      E-mail: jonathan@...
    • Renee Pearson
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2000
        I use Jonathan's technique and it works just fine for me. Sometimes the
        last dregs of the paper are the hardest to remove and will leave a dull
        white finish on the piece. My suggestion is to try going over it one more
        time with a very wet cloth to remove the last of the paper fibers.

        Good luck!

        Renee
        http://www.fertilepress.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 1, 2000
          Re: [collage] collage transfers? The liquitex people demonstrate the transferring technique using 6-8 coats of gloss medium and varnish.
           When you remove the paper by soaking it in water you  will have a clear piece of film you can move about...
          It does leave a cloudy film though. I found it does disappear when it dries.
          Jonathan's method is simpler in that you only need one or 2 coats of varnish...
          When you iron it down and let it cool you only have to contend with removing the paper.
          The paper can leave a film as well. Use a soft cloth and buff it. This should work.
          I also use a bastardized version of Jonathon's method when I am too lazy to use heat.
          This  works especially well with newspaper.
          I coat the substrate with gloss medium and lay down the paper over it.
          I burnish  it down with my fingers and let it dry..
           Then I rub the paper off.  this works too.
           good luck

        • postodelsol@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 1, 2000
            I learned a technique similar to Jonathan's when I took an acrylic class
            locally. It was different from Jonathan's method in that we made "decals."
            The ink would become imbedded in gel medium (we used three coats of gel
            medium, rather than acrylic medium, which has more body to it and lends
            itself to this process). The decals were then incorporated as separate
            collage elements. With this method, at times it is difficult to remove all
            the paper from the acrylic. I have found that soaking it a bit in warm water
            before scrubbing off the paper helps move things along. ell. However, I have
            found Jonathan's transfer method to produce flawless transfers time after
            time, even when I didn't use exactly the right materials. I was really
            hoping to be able to go back and show this to my acrlyic/painting instructor
            . . . I think he would be pleased.

            Cathy
          • lahra2000@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 1, 2000
            • Vivian Sparrow
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 1, 2000
                KL, one thing I had learned from the friendly people at the art store in town is that you paint the one coat on, don't keep brushing, just do the one even coat, let it dry, then do the other coats.  the secret is to not keep going over the same layer while wet.  the over brushing increases the chances of a cloudy transfer.  maybe that will help?

                Jenny also showed me this stuff called Colorless Blender by Eberhard Faber.  she recommended coating the photocopy with this, then placing the photocopy on the surface you want to transfer it to then rubbing/burnishing the back to rub off the picture.  I have not tried it yet so can't swear by it, but she liked using it.  In one of the books I have they suggest using linseed oil.  I haven't tried that yet, has anyone?

                vivian in colorado springs
                Handweaver, dyer, knitter, polymer and collage
                Sparose Fibre's

              • DebB
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 1, 2000
                  I  don't transfer images at all.  If I find something I want to use, I scan it.  Then I can resize it, enhance it,
                  get it just the way I want it.  Then I will either print it on whatever paper paper I plan to use.   Sometimes I tape tissue paper to a regular sheet, print the image  onto the tissue paper and use that.
                  KL, one thing I had learned from the friendly people at the art store in town is that you paint the is sponsored by the International Post-Dogmatist Group
                  http://www.ipdg.org/

                • jrt9750@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 2, 2000
                    debmcb@... writes:

                    << Sometimes I tape tissue paper to a regular sheet, print the image onto
                    the tissue paper and use that. >>

                    Interesting idea. What type, brand, ect. of tissue paper do you use?

                    Ron
                    <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/jrt9750/myhomepage/index.html">Visit Ron's
                    Art Page</A>
                  • Renee Pearson
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 2, 2000
                      This is an interesting approach, Deb. Are you printing these on an inkjet
                      printer? What brand printer and ink? Do you know what the lightfastness
                      rating is? I've recently been doing some research because I want to print
                      my digital collages but I want to make sure I'm getting the best archival
                      quality I can out of the materials I use. I wouldn't expect they'd hold
                      their color for 100+ years, but I sure would like to know they aren't going
                      to fade in a year or two. The only archival inks I've been able to find are
                      produced for Epson printers only.

                      On a similar note, does anyone happen to know the lightfastness quality of
                      color copier toner? For example, these transfers we've been
                      discussing...does anyone have any idea how long they retain their color?

                      Renee
                      http://www.fertilepress.com
                      > I don't transfer images at all. If I find something I want to use, I
                      scan
                      > it. Then I can resize it, enhance it,
                      > get it just the way I want it. Then I will either print it on whatever
                      > paper paper I plan to use. Sometimes I tape tissue paper to a regular
                      > sheet, print the image onto the tissue paper and use that.
                      >
                      > KL, one thing I had learned from the friendly people at the art store in
                      > town is that you paint the is sponsored by the International
                      Post-Dogmatist
                      > Group
                      > http://www.ipdg.org/
                    • DebB
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 2, 2000

                         I don't know the ligtfastness rating, but here is a hint.  I mix a  little of a clear sunscreen product in with the PPA or whatever to filter out the ultraviolet rays.

                        As to the kind of tissue paper.  I varies with what I am doing and what I have available.
                      • Renee Pearson
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 2, 2000
                          Thanks, Deb. I'll post here if I find out anything new on the lightfastness
                          front.

                          Renee
                          http://www.fertilepress.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 3, 2000
                            Hello, I haven't posted for a long time, but this discussion of transfers is
                            really interesting. I was wondering if the technique using layers of medium
                            would work
                            on photos, or is it just for magazine cut outs or color copies? I have boxes
                            full of
                            old color photos that I would like to incorporate into a collage. Has anyone
                            had
                            experience with this? (By the way, I apologize for the blank
                            message---something
                            went wrong with my e-mail when I tried to post before) Thank to all...
                            LaHra
                          • sj navage
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 4, 2000
                              This web site has a fairly extensive info on their inks and paper info for
                              the Epson 3000 , but also info on up coming inks for other ink jets, along
                              with pretty in-depth rating info is available...great place for paper too
                              http://www.inkjetmall.com

                              also...I haven't tried this except on a HP , but I ironed sheer material and
                              also muslin to butcher paper and ran it through the printer...its
                              usable...but will smear if your not careful with it...I used it in an
                              installation piece
                              come see my art
                              http://sites.netscape.net/navageco/homepage