Re: [collage museum] Re: a collage question

  • Carol Pratt
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
      Elmer's adhesive turns brown and becomes brittle with ageing. And it
      doesn't take very long to do that.

      Carol Pratt

      On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Chad Henry <gregcat@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Also, if your pulpy old printed paper is fairly flat (or even if it
      > isn't), you can just coat both sides with matte or semi-gloss gel medium.
      > This will seal the paper, protect it, and keep it from deteriorating over
      > at least a couple of lifetimes. Probably Elmer's will do the same.
      > chad
      >
      > > To: collage@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: bsavellano@...
      > > Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 18:43:31 +0000
      > > Subject: [collage museum] Re: a collage question
      >

      > > methylcellulose?...b
      > >
      > > --- In collage@yahoogroups.com, Cate Erbaugh <cerbaugh@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello, I'm working on a collage and want to include some pulpy old
      > printed paper from a Guatemala phone book. I'm sure it's very acidic.
      > What's an easy way to de-acidify it and other papers? I've tried the
      > de-acidifying spray, but it's dusty and makes it hard to then apply glue.
      > Thoughts? Cate

    • Chad Henry
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2013
        A collage art teacher of mine at Art Students' League of Denver, Jeffrey Wenzel, uses diluted Elmer's for all his work--I've never seen it yellow or deteriorate and some of his very large pieces are, well, very large, and in some cases years old, and to me don't show any sign of yellowing or deterioration. It may be if the glue is visible somehow, on the surface (like I guess I suggested in my response) then it could probably wreck the piece. So, maybe using gel medium as a protective would be best.
        chad

        > To: collage@yahoogroups.com
        > From: jcprattefn@...
        > Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 20:37:43 +0100
        > Subject: Re: [collage museum] Re: a collage question
        >
        > Elmer's adhesive turns brown and becomes brittle with ageing. And it
        > doesn't take very long to do that.
        >
        > Carol Pratt
        >

        > On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Chad Henry <gregcat@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Also, if your pulpy old printed paper is fairly flat (or even if it
        > > isn't), you can just coat both sides with matte or semi-gloss gel medium.
        > > This will seal the paper, protect it, and keep it from deteriorating over
        > > at least a couple of lifetimes. Probably Elmer's will do the same.
        > > chad
        > >
        > > > To: collage@yahoogroups.com
        > > > From: bsavellano@...
        > > > Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 18:43:31 +0000
        > > > Subject: [collage museum] Re: a collage question
        > >

        > > > methylcellulose?...b

        > > printed paper from a Guatemala phone book. I'm sure it's very acidic.
        > > What's an easy way to de-acidify it and other papers? I've tried the
        > > de-acidifying spray, but it's dusty and makes it hard to then apply glue.
        > > Thoughts? Cate

      • s.z. hecht
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2013
          Loel, lovely to see your name come up, too. I'll send you an update
          offlist and perhaps plan a visit as I am under 100 miles from you.

          Zoe