Re: [collage museum] Collage Centennial

  • Lava of the desert
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2012
      I look forward to the catalog !
      --- On Fri, 7/27/12, cecil touchon <touchon@...> wrote:

      From: cecil touchon <touchon@...>
      Subject: [collage museum] Collage Centennial
      To: collage@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, July 27, 2012, 6:36 PM

      Greetings all,
      I am in the throws of getting the catalog together for the upcoming Collage Centennial. I have been using the blog for organizing the catalog and have continued to add a number of new entries over the last week or two as I dig around and organize all the works in storage. The move this past year from Texas has cause a certain amount of upheaval but I am very happy to finally have a permanent space to organize the whole collection. Since a lot of works came in for the show in 2011 and then later a lot of works from early 2012, getting all the works for the show in one spot where I can inventory everything has been challenging but I thing it is coming together. I just hope I have enough time to make the deadlines I am setting for having it all together. Anyway, if you have not looked lately check out:
      http://collageassemblagecentennial-1912-2012.blogspot.com/

      happy gluing,
      Cecil

    • Wen Redmond
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2012
        I am downsizing and really don't need another book. Will there be a digital form?

        Wen Redmond
        Making the Imagination Real
        Contemporary Art in Fiber

        WEBSITE http://wenredmond.weebly.com/
        BLOGs- http://wenredmond.blogspot.com and  http://fiberartgoddess.blogspot.com
        U TUBE Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/wenredmondMember of http://www.fiberrevolution.com/
        Twitter http://twitter.com/wenredmond
        Artful Home https://www.artfulhome.com/artist/7983.html
        20 year Member of the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen

      • cecil touchon
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 14, 2012
          Yes there will! The color catalog will be kind of pricey because of being so many pages - close to 400 I think. I am wondering if people would also like a black and white version available? It would not be a pretty or impressive but could be fine for documentation purposes especially since all the color versions of the works are available online at the centennial blog.

          Cecil

          --- In collage@yahoogroups.com, Wen Redmond <wenredmond@...> wrote:

          > I am downsizing and really don't need another book. Will there be a digital form?
          >
          > Wen Redmond
          > Making the Imagination Real
          > Contemporary Art in Fiber
          >

          > WEBSITE http://wenredmond.weebly.com/
          > BLOGs- http://wenredmond.blogspot.com and  http://fiberartgoddess.blogspot.com
          > U TUBE Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/wenredmondMember of http://www.fiberrevolution.com/
          > Twitter http://twitter.com/wenredmond
          > Artful Home https://www.artfulhome.com/artist/7983.html
          > 20 year Member of the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen

        • crussol12
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 17, 2012
            I'm looking forward to the catalog. But if you're concerned about it being pricey at 400 pages, give or take, is there any way to keep the page count lower and at the same time produce a catalog that gives fair representation to the wide range of work in the exhibition? Are you including all pieces sent in? What would happen if you selected just one piece per contributor? Inlcude a note that the piece is, for example, one of six contributed by the given artist. Would this make much difference in the page count/price? Just a (half-baked) idea.
            --ken

            --- In collage@yahoogroups.com, "cecil touchon" <touchon@...> wrote:

            > Yes there will! The color catalog will be kind of pricey because of being so many pages - close to 400 I think. I am wondering if people would also like a black and white version available? It would not be a pretty or impressive but could be fine for documentation purposes especially since all the color versions of the works are available online at the centennial blog.
            >
            > Cecil
          • cecil touchon
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 19, 2012
              Hi Ken, Thanks for the suggestions. About your idea of one work per participant... I was thinking that, for those who sent or have a goodly number of works in the collection, to do like you say and then make a second volume that covers those additional works. But I am just not sure about changing the design at this point - that would be a lot more work I fear and I am running out of time. I'll have to think about that... I want to have the catalog ready at the time the show opens hopefully. I like the idea of it being an impressive size.

              I wish, on the one hand, that we had a full blown museum space to let the works have a little room to breathe like they deserve but on the other hand, since there is mostly just me doing everything, more space would mean more money, more utilities, more to take care of, etc. Left to my own devices, I can only do so much. Locally people wonder what the hell I am doing and why (especially my wife!).

              So my current approach with the limited amount of space is to make it very dense so that a person feels that they need to really explore it. I don't know if anyone ever saw "Claes Oldenburg Mouse Museum and Raygun Wing". (use that phrase in a google image search)
              Great video: http://vimeo.com/36274993

              I saw this exhibit in the Saint Louis Art Museum many years ago and I think it had a very big influence on how I think of the museum as art object/performance/assemblage. The installation was put right into the main lobby of the larger host museum and you actually walked inside of it to look at all of the stuff Oldenburg created or collected together. It was wonderful. I could see doing something like that as a traveling exhibit for the collage museum. (With a lot of grant money of course!!)But in the current space I have to think more like a merzbau/cabinet of curiosities/wunderkammer to amplify the experience.

              But I hope that a full blown and fully funded museum happens in the future! But that would involve millions of dollars to create and sustain it. We don't get a lot of visitors to the space so far but anyone passing through town that is into collage/assemblage sees it and stops in with a surprised look on their face and is amazed to find the place and see everyone's work and so much of it. One favorite comment was when someone said "I didn't realize that collage/assemblage has so much depth and breath". I have to basically give everyone who comes in a personal tour like a museum docent or it would be difficult for someone to understand what they are experiencing.

              I think a person who was really interested could spend many days looking at and exploring everything.

              Cecil