[collage museum] Question: Seal

  • Claudia Drake
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9 4:09 AM
      I have a question for the group. What is the best sealant for a paper
      ink-print collage? I am looking for an archival, non greasy, non shiny [or
      bubbly] seal for layered paper collages. Each collage will have an
      archival frame and mat, but I would love to also apply some sort of
      [invisible] archival top seal to keep the layers in tact forever. Any
      advice on this?
    • bobbi s
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9 8:51 AM
        although i am currently loving to finish with either beeswax or the
        Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS (Gloss), occasionally i find the
        Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS (Matte) is more perfect for my needs.
        it is *very* matte, self-leveling and if you note some bubbles or
        lifting when it is wet, don't panic, because once dry, returns to a
        sweet flat state. you will want to experiment first, because the
        extremity of the matte finish can be a little unsettling. i thought,
        anyway!

        peace,
        bobbi

        http://www.cobaltika.com
        reconstructed art&design

        On May 9, 2012, at 6:09 AM, Claudia Drake wrote:

        > I have a question for the group. What is the best sealant for a paper
        > ink-print collage? I am looking for an archival, non greasy, non
        > shiny [or
        > bubbly] seal for layered paper collages. Each collage will have an
        > archival frame and mat, but I would love to also apply some sort of
        > [invisible] archival top seal to keep the layers in tact forever. Any
        > advice on this?

      • Chad Henry
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9 9:03 AM
          Claudia: Golden makes many acrylic gel mediums that are perfect for sealing your work. If you use a matte medium it will not be shiny. There is also a UV protective sealant by Golden that helps protect your work to be more light fast. If you don't have a good local art supply store go online and mail order one. Others here may have other suggestions, but this is what I use. I know that Jonathan Talbot covers both sides of each collage piece with gel medium BEFORE ironing each piece down to the support, but he often uses shiny medium, whereas I prefer a matte finish most of the time because it isn't light reflective when you hang the work.
          chad

          > To: collage@yahoogroups.com
          > From: cdrake@...
          > Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 06:09:17 -0500
          > Subject: [collage museum] Question: Seal
          >
          > I have a question for the group. What is the best sealant for a paper
          > ink-print collage? I am looking for an archival, non greasy, non shiny [or
          > bubbly] seal for layered paper collages. Each collage will have an
          > archival frame and mat, but I would love to also apply some sort of
          > [invisible] archival top seal to keep the layers in tact forever. Any
          > advice on this?

        • Janine Nichols
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9 9:32 AM
            regarding Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS (Matte): I just checked the
            Blick webpage on this
            http://www.dickblick.com/products/golden-acrylic-polymer-varnishes/

            this particular varnish (there are many) is intended for finishing acrylic
            paintings and will darken lighter color values. FYI

            J a n i n e

            www.semi-free.com
            <http://www.jazzpaperscissors.blogspot.com>www.flutterbox.net
            www.jazzpaperscissors.blogspot.com

            "What could be better?" *Charlie Burnham*

            On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM, bobbi s <cobaltika@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > although i am currently loving to finish with either beeswax or the
            > Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS (Gloss), occasionally i find the
            > Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS (Matte) is more perfect for my needs.
            > it is *very* matte, self-leveling and if you note some bubbles or
            > lifting when it is wet, don't panic, because once dry, returns to a
            > sweet flat state. you will want to experiment first, because the
            > extremity of the matte finish can be a little unsettling. i thought,
            > anyway!
            >
            > peace,
            > bobbi
            >
            > http://www.cobaltika.com
            > reconstructed art&design
            >
            > On May 9, 2012, at 6:09 AM, Claudia Drake wrote:
            >
            > > I have a question for the group. What is the best sealant for a paper
            > > ink-print collage? I am looking for an archival, non greasy, non
            > > shiny [or
            > > bubbly] seal for layered paper collages. Each collage will have an
            > > archival frame and mat, but I would love to also apply some sort of
            > > [invisible] archival top seal to keep the layers in tact forever. Any
            > > advice on this?

          • Claudia Drake
            Message 5 of 9 , May 10 12:54 AM
              Thank you all for the feedback. This is helpful. x

              > regarding Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS (Matte): I just checked the
              > Blick webpage on this
              > http://www.dickblick.com/products/golden-acrylic-polymer-varnishes/
              >
              > this particular varnish (there are many) is intended for finishing acrylic
              > paintings and will darken lighter color values. FYI
              >

              > J a n i n e
              >

              > www.semi-free.com
              > <http://www.jazzpaperscissors.blogspot.com>www.flutterbox.net
              > www.jazzpaperscissors.blogspot.com
              >

              > "What could be better?" *Charlie Burnham*
              >

              > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM, bobbi s <cobaltika@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> although i am currently loving to finish with either beeswax or the
              >> Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS (Gloss), occasionally i find the
              >> Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS (Matte) is more perfect for my needs.
              >> it is *very* matte, self-leveling and if you note some bubbles or
              >> lifting when it is wet, don't panic, because once dry, returns to a
              >> sweet flat state. you will want to experiment first, because the
              >> extremity of the matte finish can be a little unsettling. i thought,
              >> anyway!
              >>
              >> peace,
              >> bobbi
              >>
              >> http://www.cobaltika.com
              >> reconstructed art&design
              >>
              >> On May 9, 2012, at 6:09 AM, Claudia Drake wrote:
              >>
              >> > I have a question for the group. What is the best sealant for a paper
              >> > ink-print collage? I am looking for an archival, non greasy, non
              >> > shiny [or
              >> > bubbly] seal for layered paper collages. Each collage will have an
              >> > archival frame and mat, but I would love to also apply some sort of
              >> > [invisible] archival top seal to keep the layers in tact forever. Any
              >> > advice on this?

            • Cathy
              Message 6 of 9 , May 28 7:16 AM
                I use vintage and handmade papers and glue everything down on a canvas with Golden gel medium, then give multiple coats of Royal decoupage finish. You could put almost put my art in the dishwasher :)

                btw, haven't check for awhile but Golden has an artist's program where you can buy "seconds" (mislabeled etc) for very little. They sent me a BUCKET of gel medium! It will last me a long time! I basically paid for shipping.