[collage museum] Romare Bearden

  • Claudia Drake
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2011
    • sharonnickodem@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2011
        Thanks for introducing us to this wonderful artist! The works are so full of life. Incredible.

        Here are more of his collage images:

        http://www.beardenfoundation.org/artlife/beardensart/collage/fastindex_collages.shtml

        Sharon

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2011
          I love Bearden. A few years ago I saw a show of his work at the High Museum in Atlanta that was quite stunning. It was surprising to see how many really large-scale collages he did--REALLY large--and how fantastic his compositional skills were. Some of the pieces were showing wear and tear. One thing that impressed me among many others was that was somehow able to take his pieces to a photographic developer for copying and enlarging, for whatever reasons he needed--we forget how spoiled we are today with ink jet and laser printers as common as Starbucks. So much of his later, iconic work, involves scenes or people in physical settings, though he uses a kind of cubist approach--a lot of what we see these days in collage and produce ourselves is abstract expressionist or Dada-ish, or who knows what--modern artists are exploring all kinds of approaches. But anyway, Bearden is great--I have a couple of big books of his work. He also cut out a lot of the pieces himself from whole paper rather than using whole images or pieces that he found in a magazine--etc. etc. I wish I could find that show again, I don't think it's touring anymore. fOr maybe this current show is essentially the same work.

          Best Wishes, Chad Henry