Printer recommendations for paper collage - what do you use?

  • situationism
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2011
      I'm in the market for a printer - perhaps a multi-function 2 or 3-in-1 (scanning, printing, faxing model - to use for collage. Pro's and cons of thermal vs ink-jet vs pigment-based, etc...

      I have moderate budget to work with - around $300 max.

      Any ideas, recommendations, rules of thumb will be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,

      - Larry
    • upfromsumdirt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2011
        i had a real crappy printer then upgraded to the brother mfc-6490cw ink-jet model. i love it and it fulfills my needs, but i have nothing else of quality to compare it to. i mostly do digital collage these days and it will scan wirelessly to my computer at a very high dpi so that i can work on a larger scale either digitally or printing out images to be used hands-on. google the model number to get more feedback. the brother site lists the price right at 300, but they're offering a 100 dollar instant rebate if you purchase it through them; i bought mine a year and a half ago during a sale at office depot for about 270. ink cartridges cost about $25-45 separately or in bundles
        at office depot, but i just stumbled across a website claiming to sell compatible ones for 4.75 (no clue how reliable such sites are).

        anyway, it serves my needs and i'm happy with it...

        good luck!

        - ron

        --- In collage@yahoogroups.com, "situationism" <situationism@...> wrote:

        > I'm in the market for a printer - perhaps a multi-function 2 or 3-in-1 (scanning, printing, faxing model - to use for collage. Pro's and cons of thermal vs ink-jet vs pigment-based, etc...
        >
        > I have moderate budget to work with - around $300 max.
        >
        > Any ideas, recommendations, rules of thumb will be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > - Larry

      • Janine Nichols
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2011
          if you're working in color , then machines using multiple inkjet cartridges
          should suit you but you should know that when one cartridge, say the red,
          runs dry, the machine will not print anything, even black and white, until
          you replace it. I find this maddening because I work mostly in black and
          white and shades of grey and brown. I wish I'd stuck with the two-cartridge
          (black and color) type....
          J a n i n e

          www.flutterbox.net
          www.semi-free.com
          www.jazzpaperscissors.blogspot.com

          "What could be better?" *Charlie Burnham*

          On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM, upfromsumdirt <upfromsumdirt@...>wrote:

          > i had a real crappy printer then upgraded to the brother mfc-6490cw ink-jet
          > model. i love it and it fulfills my needs, but i have nothing else of
          > quality to compare it to. i mostly do digital collage these days and it will
          > scan wirelessly to my computer at a very high dpi so that i can work on a
          > larger scale either digitally or printing out images to be used hands-on.
          > google the model number to get more feedback. the brother site lists the
          > price right at 300, but they're offering a 100 dollar instant rebate if you
          > purchase it through them; i bought mine a year and a half ago during a sale
          > at office depot for about 270. ink cartridges cost about $25-45 separately
          > or in bundles
          > at office depot, but i just stumbled across a website claiming to sell
          > compatible ones for 4.75 (no clue how reliable such sites are).
          >
          > anyway, it serves my needs and i'm happy with it...
          >
          > good luck!
          >
          > - ron
          >
          > --- In collage@yahoogroups.com <collage%40yahoogroups.com>, "situationism"
          > <situationism@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm in the market for a printer - perhaps a multi-function 2 or 3-in-1
          > (scanning, printing, faxing model - to use for collage. Pro's and cons of
          > thermal vs ink-jet vs pigment-based, etc...
          > >
          > > I have moderate budget to work with - around $300 max.
          > >
          > > Any ideas, recommendations, rules of thumb will be greatly appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > - Larry

        • Karlyn Berg
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
            Hi Larry,
            I have an Epson 2200 and absolutely love it... I do not think they are still being made... but maybe out there somewhere at a reduced price. THe 2200 was replaced by the up-graded Epson r2400 which looks like it is even better. I did some research on the printers after Cathy wrote about her r2400 printer. The r400 has been replaced by a newer version the 2800 BUT from the reviews I read people like the 2200 and especially the r2400 MUCH better then the latest model the 2800. If I had money or when I need to replace mine I would look for the r2400. I also have an old HP G55 multi printer I use as a copy machine. It is not hooked up to my computer like the Epson. The HP has done a good job. All the Epsons mentioned above have archival pigment ink. The HP now has archival ink, but I am not sure if it is listed as a pigment ink. I would have to double check. I do use a UV spray or UV gel medium on any of my work that has printed collage materials to add some further protection. Hope this helps.

            Karlyn
          • Karlyn Berg
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2011
              Re: Cartridges I do use color all the time .. so I buy all my cartridges at one time .. then keep a stock of each color and the blacks so when one gets used up I have one waiting and I can quickly replenish to keep things rolling.. usually I keep more black on hand and I keep two of each color in the stock. If you live near a Staples or Office Max you can buy one or two. Because I live out in the boonies it is good for me to have orders of 50 bucks so I can get free shipping. Since I have 2 of each color I can wait and order all 7 or at least 5 at a time and get the free shipping and keep my stock here no matter what color runs out. I like that better then having to buy a multi color cartridges which may have only run out of red, have plenty of the other colors in it but will not work if a single color in the cartridge is missing.
              Karlyn